WSJ: Airline-Pilot Shortage Arrives Ahead of Schedule

Airlines will dictate the pay....always. If you want change...become a doctor! Or start putting more pressure on your "pilot union" to do their job and fight for you.

By the way....the people who vote on the union contracts are only made up of around 10% of 1st year FOs with low pay. So they are dust in the wind when lobbying for higher starting pay.

Pilots at my airline told the union excactly what they wanted. The union guys took it upon themselves to ignore everything they were told and agree to a nice concessionary package and sell it under the guise of "Well, we just thought we should let the pilots see it (Please please please vote 'YES')". Now that our MEC has been thoroughly embarrassed, the whole matter is out of our hands again for the time being while the other large regionals make their survival moves.

I'm a 7 year FO with no upgrade award and just barely hitting $60K for the first time of my career. I have no desire to give anything back at this point to save this outhouse of an industry segment, especially not for a group of pilots who are willing to bend over to spend the rest of their careers flying an E-170. Screw that, Republic is hiring if that's your endgame.

I dont know what lies in store for our careers if the regionals tank, but I know that it wont be pretty if we keep agreeing to less and less.

And that's true. There isn't enough of something to go around: applicants for airline pilot jobs. That's a shortage, no matter how much you want to spin it to make your argument for wage increases.

This has gone on for years. Cant we just make up a new word for the number of pilot applicants willing to apply and do the job at the current compensation rate and show up to class is not sufficient to satisfy our staffing needs: Falgdooble? Now that we can all agree that there is a pilot falgdooble at the regionals, we can talk about what this means for the future of American airlines :)

Back