Tips for a newbie?

Deadeye

Hi Guys,

Been lurking for about a week now since I found a link here from another forum and found that this place had what looks like a great line service section.

Been looking to change careers for a little while now and signed up to join the FAA as a Controller but that's about as up in the air as the space shuttle right now with the recession in place.

When I got fired last summer I took a little $14 an hour tech job at an arcade but the kids are animals and i had to repair over 20 games today out of 130. I think I would rather fuel airplanes than deal with the brats, liars and constant complaints from people who didn't get their jackpots.

Back on topic; I live on Staten Island and I've already sent a resume to Jet Aviation at Teterboro via their website but I was wondering what more I should do. I read a few of the other topics but they were from back when we weren't dead in the middle of the recession.

So, Should I bother going to Teterboro and just walking in the door with a resume and expect anything in this climate? Anyone got any link at Newark? I did the whole "go find out who controls the ramp" but I can't seem to figure it out and there are about 150 airlines out of Newark and they're in dire straights so I don't expect much. I'm also thinking about Morristown and Caldwell but I was hoping to get ATC jobs at those (they are a bit far) but anything that gets me in the same airport as the guys who can get me into the tower is good by me.

I would absolutely love a full time line job. I make $14 an hour but it's only 5 hours in the morning (go in, fix the games and leave at 12) and even a full time $14 an hour job would be a 60% raise for me (plus I don't get tips, let alone $20 ones that I would shine a shoe to get).

basically, I'm desperate enough that if it has a good chance of working at teterboro, let me know how the manager likes his coffee and I'll be there on my day off (wendesdays and thursdays) with a resume and his favorite blend in my hand.

Any other tips are very much welcome and I love all the information this one site has given me; I think I got more info here than anywhere else on the internet about line service.

Go on over to all the FBOs at TEB and bring a resume and ask to fill out an application. Honestly no one likes an ass kisser, but be polite. Basic stuff- dress nice, put a smile on, ask questions, and leave of good impression. Show them you don't want just a job, you want to be a line guy. The worst they can say is no, not at this time. Just be optimistic and at the very least they will have your resume on hand for the next time they hire. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

It might be a little farther, but Century Air in Caldwell(or other fbos on the field may be looking) You can inquire at www.centuryair.com and they will probably reply back with in a day or so.

It might be a little farther, but Century Air in Caldwell(or other fbos on the field may be looking) You can inquire at www.centuryair.com and they will probably reply back with in a day or so.

Mac Dan Aviation dose the fueling for Century. I got layed off a month ago from Mac Dan. Times are rough. I also applied at Jet Aviation but I never got a reply. To be honest, I'm interested in the work you do. I would love to fix arcade machines and $14 sounds decent. How can I learn to do that?

well, Jspeed, I got the job, at Chuck E. Cheese, through Monster.com. It's just an assistant tech job but it's not too bad and the money, although part time, does get my bills paid.

Pretty much I gave them my resume and showed a lot of enthusiasm for the job (which I had at the time because me and my friend were talking about what we would do if we had an arcade and stuff). I have a degree in Electronic Engineering so that might have helped but the dinky little mechanics test could be aced by anyone; for instance, if you pull on a pully which way will the weight go?; And they were basically just pictures; you get the idea.

The biggest problems we have, really, are just loose buttons, coin jams, running out of tickets and a few light bulbs that blow every so often. The work isn't really that hard (at least I'm inside when you guys are probably outside right now) but I want to get into aviation and be an ATC one day so I gotta start someplace.

Thanks for the info guys and one more question: Anyone know how one can go about getting into installing or repairing electronics in aviation? Is that a seperate thing or can I do it with my current electronic engineering degree?

Thanks for the info guys and one more question: Anyone know how one can go about getting into installing or repairing electronics in aviation? Is that a seperate thing or can I do it with my current electronic engineering degree?

Probably need an A&P to do that, I have no idea about that but check in the A&P forum and I'm sure they can point you in the right direction.

Yes you can. A friend of mine did exactly that (and he actually has no degree at all). Find an avionics shop that is willing to let you work under the auspices of their repair station license and you're good to go.

well, Jspeed, I got the job, at Chuck E. Cheese, through Monster.com. It's just an assistant tech job but it's not too bad and the money, although part time, does get my bills paid.

Pretty much I gave them my resume and showed a lot of enthusiasm for the job (which I had at the time because me and my friend were talking about what we would do if we had an arcade and stuff). I have a degree in Electronic Engineering so that might have helped but the dinky little mechanics test could be aced by anyone; for instance, if you pull on a pully which way will the weight go?; And they were basically just pictures; you get the idea.

The biggest problems we have, really, are just loose buttons, coin jams, running out of tickets and a few light bulbs that blow every so often. The work isn't really that hard (at least I'm inside when you guys are probably outside right now) but I want to get into aviation and be an ATC one day so I gotta start someplace.

You could be an avionics tech. I don't think you need A&P for that. I want to do that as a plan b if the pilot thing doesn't work out.

Deadeye,

With regards to your Air Traffic Control application did you apply OTS? If so under which "pubnat" announcement? At what stage of the process are you at now? Have you been selected for or taken the AT-SAT yet? The Air Traffic Control section of this forum can be an excellent resource if you haven't already checked it out.

In contrast to the recession our economy is going through, hiring for Air Traffic control is expected to remain at a very high level over the next several years (look here.) Getting in I suppose is the real trick, but the door is definately open for those to whom it may not have been a number of years ago. I will be attending the FAA academy for Air Traffic Control this coming month, and the application process can be pretty extensive, so I know how you feel. Let me know I guess, I will do my best to help you out if you don't already know someone else who is going through the same process as you are........-

Back