Thunderstorm avoidance

Yessir. Valentine, then Dickinson, then the MSP-based Thief River Falls run.

Cool. I did the TVF route back when it was an Omaha Route.

OMA-FSD-FAR-TVF-FAR-FSD-OMA

When it switched to MSP I opened up the route. It was still going to Fargo back then even out of MSP.

Then I did the Valentine route, GFK route for a year, and then the Dallas Ad Hoc.

Many pilots with just enough experience get caught in the trap of, "I'll just ask ATC to help me out with vectors if I can't see and avoid". Unfortunately ATC simply can't help you out sometimes, and it always seems to happen at the most inoportune times to boot. If you don't have an iPad with some sort of nexrad wx, you are robbing yourself of an important tool for single pilot IFR. That being said, I have a stratus for sale if anyone is interested :D

[QUOTE="chrisreedrules, post: 2505286, member: 25550/] If you don't have an iPad with some sort of nexrad wx, you are robbing yourself of an important tool for single pilot IFR. [/QUOTE]

NEXRAD is delayed, sometimes up to 15 minutes. My plane is equipped with both NEXRAD and weather RADAR, and NEXRAD will show me going through the nastiest stuff imaginable, while RADAR shows light returns. NEXRAD has gotten some people in just as bad of a situation as having nothing at all.

That being said, I never forget to have my stratus on and handy...

[QUOTE="chrisreedrules, post: 2505286, member: 25550/] If you don't have an iPad with some sort of nexrad wx, you are robbing yourself of an important tool for single pilot IFR.

NEXRAD is delayed, sometimes up to 15 minutes. My plane is equipped with both NEXRAD and weather RADAR, and NEXRAD will show me going through the nastiest stuff imaginable, while RADAR shows light returns. NEXRAD has gotten some people in just as bad of a situation as having nothing at all.

That being said, I never forget to have my stratus on and handy...[/QUOTE]
Oh I know... It is just another tool for the flight case. Not the "fix all" that some people seem to think it is.

[QUOTE="chrisreedrules, post: 2505286, member: 25550/] If you don't have an iPad with some sort of nexrad wx, you are robbing yourself of an important tool for single pilot IFR.

Oh I know... It is just another tool for the flight case. Not the "fix all" that some people seem to think it is.

Many pilots with just enough experience get caught in the trap of, "I'll just ask ATC to help me out with vectors if I can't see and avoid". Unfortunately ATC simply can't help you out sometimes, and it always seems to happen at the most inoportune times to boot. If you don't have an iPad with some sort of nexrad wx, you are robbing yourself of an important tool for single pilot IFR. That being said, I have a stratus for sale if anyone is interested :D

There's tactical and big picture. Radar and XM. They both have a mission, and if you use them correctly, you're golden. If don't you're in for a ride.

If I had to choose one or the other I'd choose XM any day of the week. It gives the "big picture" and even though it's delay up to 15 minutes, give the weather a wider berth and you'll be fine. Picking through lines with XM isn't fun. It doesn't update quick enough to allow you to shoot the gap. XM is the same picture ATC is getting so keep that in mind when you ask them for vectors in weather.

That's what you want radar for. Using radar, especially old junky radar for planning more then 50 miles down the road is a PITA.

...and I'll leave you guys with some fun photos.

Attachments

• 942562_10151395461657644_1205722990_n.jpg
    942562_10151395461657644_1205722990_n.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 263
  • 581985_10151395466462644_102977426_n.jpg
    581985_10151395466462644_102977426_n.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 248
  • 581079_10151395461367644_1402937902_n.jpg
    581079_10151395461367644_1402937902_n.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 270
  • 941442_10151395461442644_1907797733_n.jpg
    941442_10151395461442644_1907797733_n.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 252
Yeah man, I came down here thinking it'd be like FL build ups. Didn't bother reading about it before hand. So wrong! Haha

Are you flying in and out of the South Texas area?

XM is the same picture ATC is getting so keep that in mind when you ask them for vectors in weather.

That's what you want radar for. Using radar, especially old junky radar for planning more then 50 miles down the road is a PITA.

Not the case for Terminal facilities like towers and tracons. Our radar displays show a live view of the weather that comes right off the ASR sites. The centers I believe do have a delayed weather picture.

Not the case for Terminal facilities like towers and tracons. Our radar displays show a live view of the weather that comes right off the ASR sites. The centers I believe do have a delayed weather picture.
The Carribean and VZ. Particularly around VZ, green can wreck your plane (not learned first hand thankfully)

I have had ATC vector me INTO a line of storms that I was trying to avoid! Trust no one!

I have had ATC vector me INTO a line of storms that I was trying to avoid! Trust no one!
I've had them give me vectors around some of the heavier stuff only to accidently penetrate some of the lighter, but still heavy stuff around it because their weather picture can be up to 15 minutes old and can't always see all the weather in mountainous areas.

One option is to ask if they have lightning strike data available... Request vectoring around areas experiencing lightning... sometimes this helps

You should talk to the folks who work on your equipment. It's still limited, regardless of ASR-9 or -11.

Your med crew are not seasoned.

With a patient on board is different story.
WHAH???

Um.. I've known of pilots being asked to resign, and ultimately terminated because the med crew expressed "unease" with the pilot's willingness to fly in "seasoned" conditions.

I don't tell the med crew how to do their jobs and keep the PT alive.. they shouldn't tell me how to fly the plane. Oh, and CAMTS requiring a med crewmember to be in the cockpit on non PT legs... I cry FOUL. more a detriment than good.. they know NOTHING of flying.. stick to the IVs and Charting

WHAH???

Um.. I've known of pilots being asked to resign, and ultimately terminated because the med crew expressed "unease" with the pilot's willingness to fly in "seasoned" conditions.

I don't tell the med crew how to do their jobs and keep the PT alive.. they shouldn't tell me how to fly the plane. Oh, and CAMTS requiring a med crewmember to be in the cockpit on non PT legs... I cry FOUL. more a detriment than good.. they know NOTHING of flying.. stick to the IVs and Charting
Relax, bud. Every flight is conducted in a safe manor. Med crews don't sit up front in a Lear, maybe in your King Air or Pilatus. If the med crew reports a flight crew for some bumps when the wx is deteriorating, and the crew is asked to resign, then there are some serious issues in your management department. The wx isn't all CAVU. Before every flight, the wx conditions will be briefed with the entire crew.

From my bad old days of flying freight many years ago (pre-GPS).
Going into CSG at night. On the ILS.
IMC. Flashes all over. ADF needle starts to go crazy. Approach says they see extreme precipitation on the approach a few miles ahead. Screw this. I'm not paid enough.
Go missed. Get vectors around the worst of it.
Ask to go off frequency so I can talk to FSS and find out if I can get to my next stop.
Getting bounced all over (no autopilot of course), I talk to FSS. Find out a good route to my next destination. Look at the map, SWAG the distance. Do the math in my head to see if I have enough gas since I did not get any at CSG. Go back to approach and tell him where I wanted to go. Ask for vectors around the worst of it.

Back