Still a good time to go regional?

86BravoPapa

Closing in on ATP mins. and have a few interviews scheduled with the ability to accept a class date within the next one to two months if offered a job. I'm sure there are alot of pilots in a similar situation and I'm sure they're starting to question the same thing: is this still a good time to join the regionals or would it make more sense to stay put, temporarily?

Closing in on ATP mins. and have a few interviews scheduled with the ability to accept a class date within the next one to two months if offered a job. I'm sure there are alot of pilots in a similar situation and I'm sure they're starting to question the same thing: is this still a good time to join the regionals or would it make more sense to stay put, temporarily?
What are you doing now? If you get furloughed due to the economy, etc., you still will have recall rights at most places, so unless you're building jet/turboprop time now, I'd say go for it. If you hesitate, it'll put you farther behind your peers.

What are you doing now? If you get furloughed due to the economy, etc., you still will have recall rights at most places, so unless you're building jet/turboprop time now, I'd say go for it. If you hesitate, it'll put you farther behind your peers.

Building TPIC time in turboprops, 135, right now.

Building TPIC time in turboprops, 135, right now.
That's a different problem then. If I were you, I'd stay put and get 1000 TPIC. Then, you can look at the landscape and see where to go from there.

Having said all that, I have no clue what I'm doing, and am still trying to get called up to the majors, so ymmv. ;)

Edit: SE or ME turboprop? If it's a single, it's again a different story. I have almost 1000 PIC caravan, and most of the jobs I'm looking at are looking for METPIC, so it depends on where you want to go.

Last edited:
That's a different problem then. If I were you, I'd stay put and get 1000 TPIC. Then, you can look at the landscape and see where to go from there.

Having said all that, I have no clue what I'm doing, and am still trying to get called up to the majors, so ymmv. ;)

Edit: SE or ME turboprop? If it's a single, it's again a different story. I have almost 1000 PIC caravan, and most of the jobs I'm looking at are looking for METPIC, so it depends on where you want to go.

Multi. The problem is the hours aren't great so getting to 1000 would likely be another 1.5-2 years.

If you want to fly for a 121 airline (pax) then I'd jump on any 121 regional that best suits your needs. If you want to go 121 cargo I'd stay put and get the 1000. Then make the jump. With that said I had 0 TPIC when I got on with SJI.

I've thought about that too. UPS or FDX are high hopefuls on my list. My main reasoning to switch to 121 pax is because of the time building and upgrade times at the regionals vs next step cargo options. Kind of thinking of getting 1000 hrs. 121 TPIC, then trying for a place like Kalitta and then eventually UPS or FDX.

It’s like the stock market. You’re never going to Be able to “time“ it.

If it’s on your path to you career goal, do it.
Says the guy who's had pretty damned good timing in his career. ;) :biggrin:

OP, as of right now, if you're looking for boxes, ME-TPIC is king. I have over 6500TT, 1500 JPIC, 2485 TPIC (985 Turbine Suburban time), and am still trying to get hired on to the career destination.

What the future holds, only time will tell. You have to look at the info in front of you and make the best decision for you, your career, and your family.

Best of luck, no matter what you decide. When you're looking at K4, I'll probably be the grumpy old captain you're flying with. :biggrin::biggrin:

Says the guy who's had pretty damned good timing in his career. ;) :biggrin:

OP, as of right now, if you're looking for boxes, ME-TPIC is king. I have over 6500TT, 1500 JPIC, 2485 TPIC (985 Turbine Suburban time), and am still trying to get hired on to the career destination.

What the future holds, only time will tell. You have to look at the info in front of you and make the best decision for you, your career, and your family.

Best of luck, no matter what you decide. When you're looking at K4, I'll probably be the grumpy old captain you're flying with. :biggrin::biggrin:

Because I didn’t try to time it. When I got out of college, many of my classmates were “eff THIS noise” because Pan Am and TWA were dead and you were competing, still, with Eastern pilots for CFI jobs, I got hired at a commuter that was considered a backwoods podunk airline in the middle of the frigid Midwest where my counterparts were waiting for Skywest and WestAir and eventually got hired at an airline where everyone said I’d be a B-scale 727 flight engineer for a decade.

Very little of what I did made any sense at the time, but luckily, it worked out really well.

...so far... :)

Because I didn’t try to time it. When I got out of college, many of my classmates were “eff THIS noise” because Pan Am and TWA were dead and you were competing, still, with Eastern pilots for CFI jobs, I got hired at a commuter that was considered a backwoods podunk airline in the middle of the frigid Midwest where my counterparts were waiting for Skywest and WestAir and eventually got hired at an airline where everyone said I’d be a B-scale 727 flight engineer for a decade.

Very little of what I did made any sense at the time, but luckily, it worked out really well.

...so far... :)
I remember the time vividly...i got out of aviation because of it. I refused to buy my interview and training. That was when PFT was running rampant after you had 2500TT. Ah, the good old days.

Hell, I even flew down to PR to try to get hired on by DC-3 operators (Four Star, and anther one I can't remember the name of) with no luck.

Se la vie... :)

I still remembered when Comair called. it wasn’t about an interview it was to tell me about some sort of pay for training deal that I could “interview” for.

Sooooooo, you want me to fly out to Sanford with a checkbook to interview? Aroo?
Yup, the good old days. Kids these days have no clue! :biggrin: :biggrin: Imagine CC's butthurt over those kinds of calls and shenanigans. ;)

Yup, the good old days. Kids these days have no clue! :biggrin: :biggrin: Imagine CC's butthurt over those kinds of calls and shenanigans. ;)
I have a hard time wrapping my head around this. So this PFT thing was very commonplace at the regional/commuter level during the 90’s/early 2000’s? It’s unbelievable of how much the landscape has changed in the last 2 decades. I’ve heard people bring this up from time to time in conversation, but now I’m starting to think this was widespread in the industry then.

I have a hard time wrapping my head around this. So this PFT thing was very commonplace at the regional/commuter level during the 90’s/early 2000’s? It’s unbelievable of how much the landscape has changed in the last 2 decades. I’ve heard people bring this up from time to time in conversation, but now I’m starting to think this was widespread in the industry then.
All of these guys Derg's and my age, almost guaranteed, paid for training. It was rampant in the industry. It was very hard to avoid...like I said, I actually got out of the industry because of it. Derg found a good spot, and I commend him for his progress, and this site. It's made my transition back into aviation almost 20 years ago much easier.

I'm not saying everybody did it...but there are a lot who did. Usually after 2500tt you would finally qualify to pay $17,000 for the interview/training. I refused to do it, and the operators that didn't have it wouldn't look at me because I was low time.

Of course, I was the smart kid and didn't want to CFI so options were very limited, hence my exit for about a decade. I got my CFI when I got back into aviation. Go figure.

Jeeze. Different world then and now! Where did people get the money to pay for the training? Lol I mean...a young commercial pilot/CFI would have just spent 40-60k on their training already (might have been less at that time), and by the time they get to 2500TT...now the airline is asking for that same person to pay for their own training? Holy Mackal! Lol I guess I wasn’t aware of how common that was during that time?

was this just a 90’s thing, or has it always been around prior to that? Were a lot of 135 operations asking for that as well?

Jeeze. Different world then and now! Where did people get the money to pay for the training? Lol I mean...a young commercial pilot/CFI would have just spent 40-60k on their training already (might have been less at that time), and by the time they get to 2500TT...now the airline is asking for that same person to pay for their own training? Holy Mackal! Lol I guess I wasn’t aware of how common that was during that time?

was this just a 90’s thing, or has it always been around prior to that? Were a lot of 135 operations asking for that as well?
Back in the day, most regionals were 135. I never looked into the check hauler 135's because I wanted to go airline, but from what I remember, it was build to 1500tt at least, get hired by single pilot 135 ops, build up to 2500tt for the regionals and make $19k per year, after PFT. That pay didn't change for almost 20 years, sadly.

@Derg @MikeD and whoever else was around back in the "good old days" have anything else they remember?

Back