Wisdom of a lateral career move

I'm a little late commenting on this topic, but here are my suggestions:

(1) If you're really convinced that your current regional is doomed, you should immediately start working on an exit strategy. It's always better to leave on your terms, rather than on someone else's.

(2) But... nothing seems to happen very fast at most regionals, so I expect you still have at least 12-18 months at your current shop. Use this to get prepared for your next job.

(3) I would NOT recommend a lateral move. I really think you can do better than this. Hiring seems to have slowed down for a few months, but I expect the job market to improve by summer or early fall.

(4) Maybe the most important thing I can add: I'd recommend that you get some career counseling and interview prep NOW. Don't put it off until you get invited to interview. You seem like a reasonably intelligent and articulate guy (at least on JetCareers). A good interview prep service can help you identify any problems in your interview presentation, and help you "tell your story" in an authentic and compelling way.

(5) If you have the opportunity to attend a job fair, then this can be an excellent way to get some "face time" with potential employers. It's also a good chance to ask questions about the company.

Good luck!

That totally sucks, and a whole lot XJT pilots were hosed in that process.

I am not in any kind of denial about how precarious our position is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I get it. Just tossing in a dose of reality.

The ultimate answer is that you don't know if you made the right choice till years later. Sometimes not till the end of your career.

I decided to go the DEC route long ago and left XJT. I honestly wasn't sure if I made the right choice for several years. The pay was better as a CA but the QOL was absolute ass for three years. It was the right choice to leave. I just didn't know for a good 4 years or so that I made the right move.

I'm a little late commenting on this topic, but here are my suggestions:

(1) If you're really convinced that your current regional is doomed, you should immediately start working on an exit strategy. It's always better to leave on your terms, rather than on someone else's.

(2) But... nothing seems to happen very fast at most regionals, so I expect you still have at least 12-18 months at your current shop. Use this to get prepared for your next job.

(3) I would NOT recommend a lateral move. I really think you can do better than this. Hiring seems to have slowed down for a few months, but I expect the job market to improve by summer or early fall.

(4) Maybe the most important thing I can add: I'd recommend that you get some career counseling and interview prep NOW. Don't put it off until you get invited to interview. You seem like a reasonably intelligent and articulate guy (at least on JetCareers). A good interview prep service can help you identify any problems in your interview presentation, and help you "tell your story" in an authentic and compelling way.

(5) If you have the opportunity to attend a job fair, then this can be an excellent way to get some "face time" with potential employers. It's also a good chance to ask questions about the company.

Good luck!
Solid post here, don't sell yourself short @Yakob

Back