Still a good time to go regional?

Back in the day, most regionals were 135. I never looked into the check hauler 135's because I wanted to go airline, but from what I remember, it was build to 1500tt at least, get hired by single pilot 135 ops, build up to 2500tt for the regionals and make $19k per year, after PFT. That pay didn't change for almost 20 years, sadly.

@Derg @MikeD and whoever else was around back in the "good old days" have anything else they remember?

That was back when they were known as commuter airlines. The pay didn’t improve much when they became regionals and moved into the Jet age

Closing in on ATP mins. and have a few interviews scheduled with the ability to accept a class date within the next one to two months if offered a job. I'm sure there are alot of pilots in a similar situation and I'm sure they're starting to question the same thing: is this still a good time to join the regionals or would it make more sense to stay put, temporarily?

You've raised a very important, er, philosophical question. To wit, is it EVER "a good time to go Regional?"

I still remembered when Comair called. it wasn’t about an interview it was to tell me about some sort of pay for training deal that I could “interview” for.

Sooooooo, you want me to fly out to Sanford with a checkbook to interview? Aroo?

Lol... Did the time-share broker, er, recruiter get a commission? If so, maybe you were in the wrong biz at the time.

You've raised a very important, er, philosophical question. To wit, is it EVER "a good time to go Regional?"

Ha. If there was an alternate wrung on the ladder to the top, I'd use it. Unfortunately, it seems the only real way to continue advancing AND build QUALITY time, QUICKLY.

Ha. If there was an alternate wrung on the ladder to the top, I'd use it. Unfortunately, it seems the only real way to continue advancing AND build QUALITY time, QUICKLY.
Have you tried any of of the tasty, decaffeinated 135 and freighter alternatives on market these days?

As much as I appreciate this, I have a bad feeling this ship has already sailed.

How long were the Eagle guys stuck at Eagle? 20 years in some cases?
Yeah but there was a lot more things going on at the time. Now those 50% retirements in the next 10 years are happening, this changes the dynamic and urgency to hire.

It took me a long time to call them regionals. It was always 135 TP commuters. Now, I can't get out of that stupid habit of calling them regionals when there's nothing regional about them.
"Ah! Which one of them commuters are you with little Billy! Ah'm trying to get mah boy on at SkyWest! Y'all still flyin' that little Brazilian turboprop thing?"

:bounce:

"Ah! Which one of them commuters are you with little Billy! Ah'm trying to, as you know get mah boy on at SkyWest! Y'all still flyin' that little Brazilian turboprop thing?"

:bounce:
Except, I've never flown 121 pax, and am not at a major, but, I get the point. Old guys suck. It was commuters for a very, very long time, as you probably know.

I know there were some a-holes to you guys over the years, and I was probably one at times, but it was the terminology we had.

That quote came out weird, and I'm not sure if my wine-induced quote created it, or if you changed something, but I tried to clean it up. Sorry if I mis-quoted you!! ;)

Have you tried any of of the tasty, decaffeinated 135 and freighter alternatives on market these days?

I am at one of the 135 freighters, currently. Are 135s a good route to the majors? I know people make the leap but I thought majors really are mostly interested in 121 backgrounds; unless you strapped into an F15 for awhile.

Hold that thought. This Corona scare could really sink the airlines for awhile.

That's what prompted the original question. Others at regionals are already speculating the possibility of reduced block times coming up through the summer season if the scare continues. And, I know Asia is a larger market, revenue wise, for United versus Delta and American but I don't know if anyone foresaw postponed classes, this fast.

I am at one of the 135 freighters, currently. Are 135s a good route to the majors? I know people make the leap but I thought majors really are mostly interested in 121 backgrounds; unless you strapped into an F15 for awhile.
Hence my saying get the1000 TPIC and look then. Get a 121 type under your belt with the 1000 and hope the aviation gods rain gold on your career.

That's what prompted the original question. Others at regionals are already speculating the possibility of reduced block times coming up through the summer season if the scare continues. And, I know Asia is a larger market, revenue wise, for United versus Delta and American but I don't know if anyone foresaw postponed classes, this fast.
I think we will know more in a couple of weeks.

Except, I've never flown 121 pax, and am not at a major, but, I get the point. Old guys suck. It was commuters for a very, very long time, as you probably know.

I know there were some a-holes to you guys over the years, and I was probably one at times, but it was the terminology we had.

That quote came out weird, and I'm not sure if my wine-induced quote created it, or if you changed something, but I tried to clean it up. Sorry if I mis-quoted you!! ;)
I don’t think you ever were actually!

Back