Spirit Airlines pricing on Abc15

Mike: Low fare, ultra low fare - what's next?

NO-Fare (or should it be spelled No Fair ;) ). Flight is free, but you pay for the seat cushion, leg room over 2", beverage, ice for beverage, seat belt, buckle, trash pick-up, turnstyle in the jetway, windshield wipers for the CA, ditto for the FO, deodorant for the FA, Reverser activation fee, tire rubber replacement charge for bouncing the landing hard, etc.

Spirit's model seems to be working, but how many people are so disgusted that they never return? Maybe not enough.

If you just need to get from A to B and only have a carry on Spirit would be much cheaper than anyone else. I look at Spirit as giving the customer some options. Don't want the options? You don't pay for them. If they would make everything you could buy easy to select while booking your flight online then Spirit would be really nice. Just get a tablet for the FAs and they could do all the in-flight orders with it along with downloading the passenger manifest and seeing what they ordered online.

I flew Spirit once, many years ago (purchased revenue ticket, NOT a non-rev or ID-anything). They managed to smash in the corner of my hard-side Samsonite when I checked it... no easy feat! I'll give them an A for effort on that.

In looking at Sprit's website, their list of fees is so daunting, I wouldn't dare make a flight reservation with them, as it looks like it would take an accountant to figure out exactly how much the total would end up being! If the business model works for them, go for it. Me, I'll book elsewhere.

One of the issues is that the public stops at nothing to find the cheapest possible option, then complains about the service. It's just dumb. People have forgotten that you usually get what you pay for.

For the motorcyclists out there.... it's like paying for the Bridgestones, and expecting to get the UK Dunlops. ;)

I flew Spirit once, many years ago (purchased revenue ticket, NOT a non-rev or ID-anything). They managed to smash in the corner of my hard-side Samsonite when I checked it... no easy feat! I'll give them an A for effort on that.

In looking at Sprit's website, their list of fees is so daunting, I wouldn't dare make a flight reservation with them, as it looks like it would take an accountant to figure out exactly how much the total would end up being! If the business model works for them, go for it. Me, I'll book elsewhere.

You are used to the model of the legacies. Those who think outside that model and want to save money think differently.

I had a last minute trip to LAS and had to fly on a $1000 ticket on USAirways. I had to pay $25 to check my bag. That is a robbery.

I kind of consider a $40 fee to have a carry- on to be a robbery... But like I said before, if that's Spirit's model and it works for them, that's cool. I don't choose to participate in it, but that's okay too.

Again, that's the fee if you don't check the bag, read the instructions and play by the rules. If you do all of the above, you avoid the fee.

According to Spirit's "optional fee" listing page: http://www.spirit.com/OptionalFees.aspx I do not see anywhere where I can "avoid the fee" for ANY "bag". 1 "personal item" is allowed to be carried on with no charge, that's 1 purse or smallish briefcase, etc NOT a "bag". There is no way to "avoid the fee". From what I see on their official website, if you fly Spirit with a bag, you WILL pay a fee of some kind to have that bag travel with you, either checked or carryon. The fee varies depending on when you choose to pay the fee, or if it's checked or carryon, but you can't "avoid the fee".

When my daughter flew Spirit LAX-FLL with a baby on lap, they didn't charge for the baby.

Maybe I should be quiet about it :oops: ....

Some people just prefer the fees to be hidden in their airfare. Others like to pick and choose what they want. They are just different niches in the same market. The difference is that Spirit has been successful and most of the others have been losing out.

Oh I agree. I wish no ill on Spirit or any of their employees, not by any means. If the model works for them, go for it. Just because I don't choose to buy their tickets doesn't mean everyone feels the same way I do.

Spirit is modeled after a euro LLC (Think EasyJet or RyanAir). I don't think I would ever pay to ride on them but you can't argue with profits and all three are making money.

An oldie but goodie from The Onion:

United Airlines Exploring Viability Of Stacking Them Like Cord wood

CHICAGO—In its ongoing effort to cut transportation costs and boost profits, United Airlines announced Tuesday that it was exploring the feasibility of herding them into planes and stacking them like cord wood from floor to ceiling.

Research shows that we lose millions of dollars each month by having them all sit upright in individual seats for the duration of the flight," said CEO Glenn F. Tilton, speaking to reporters at United Airlines' corporate headquarters. "However, if we were to remove these seats, we could just sort of stack them all in there, one by one, as they file into the plane."

"If a 747's maximum takeoff weight is 875,000 pounds, then we should be packing that plane with 875,000 pounds," Tilton added.

According to a press release, the company estimates that the new policy of simply arranging them in a towering mound will allow it to sell approximately 20 times more tickets per flight. In addition, executives claimed they would be able to eliminate the unnecessary cost of in-flight magazines, chairs, seat belts, blankets, bathrooms, headphones, and oxygen masks.

United officials said they conducted a test run in September during which they sent a flight from San Francisco to Denver and really jammed them all in there as hard as they could. Analysts found that 98 percent of them arrived safely at the correct destination, and of those who were lost or damaged, nearly all were eventually located.

"After much trial and error, we've found the most efficient way to stack them is to start with a base of large ones, then put down a layer of medium ones, then fill up all the holes with the smaller ones," operations manager Gary Brown said. "The really tiny ones are great for cramming up in the corners."

Brown said engineers have also explored the advantages of different loading procedures, such as driving them down the aisle like cattle, or just putting them on their sides and rolling them in. Researchers eventually concluded that the most efficient system is to wheel them out to the tarmac on luggage carts so baggage handlers can just grab them and chuck them onto conveyor belts.

Sources confirmed that early on in the trials, engineers abandoned the so-called "criss-cross" stacking method—in which each new level of them is arranged perpendicular to the previous one—as the resulting piles were not as densely packed as possible. The research also determined that bundling four or five of them together and securing them with straps or duct tape is far too time-consuming and cost-prohibitive.

"You can't just dump them in there any which way," Brown said. "The delicate ones are liable to break, and if you're not careful, they start to sway, and pretty soon the whole mess comes tumbling down."

Added Brown, "On longer flights we really want to make sure there's no room for them to move around at all."
According to senior vice president Alexandria Marren, the new loading procedure is expected to greatly reduce boarding times, and the check-in process will be streamlined as the airline takes up labeling them with special bar codes for quick electronic scanning. United also plans to introduce several new in-flight amenities, including a sprinkler system that will cool them off every 30 minutes and grated floors through which the waste products can drain.

"On top of everything else, this is going to create a lot of new employment opportunities," Marren said of the company's modernization and efficiency efforts. "For instance, we're going to need energetic go-getters who are handy with a shovel and a bucket of peanuts. And we'll also be on the lookout for talented professionals with previous experience operating high-voltage livestock prodding equipment."

Acknowledging concerns that some of them suffer from a fear of flying, the airline announced that it will soon begin forcibly tranquilizing all of them upon arrival at the check-in gate and attaching a small $45 sedation surcharge.

View attachment 19966

Do you know what's sad? Is when you see a stock photo and you know the airport.

Spirit is modeled after a euro LLC (Think EasyJet or RyanAir). .

So Spirit will be charging for Lav usage soon, is what you're saying? :)

While I understand that it's a different business model and seemingly has its place, it does appear to come off as a "Wal-Mart-ization" of the airline business. Some kind of service has long been a staple of airline service, but now its becoming no more than a local bus line. So pilots, don't be shocked that the "prestige" of the career goes the same way.

I loved Europe's LCCs. When I wanted to spend less that 100GBP to get Charlie Sheen drunk in random former Eastern-bloc country, RyanAir was there. Thankfully, Spirit hasn't used one European LCCS tactic: relabeling airports to make them seem part of a metro area. It'd be like calling Newark "South New York International."

Some people just prefer the fees to be hidden in their airfare. Others like to pick and choose what they want. They are just different niches in the same market. The difference is that Spirit has been successful and most of the others have been losing out.

You are used to the model of the legacies. Those who think outside that model and want to save money think differently.

Airline pilots are always pissed off about being viewed by the public as nothing more than glorified bus drivers. Problem is, business models like this, where the airline is nothing more than an airborne bus service operating under 14 CFR 121, is what gives credence to that viewpoint.

Every business model may come with perks, but they come with a price too.

Airline pilots are always pissed off about being viewed by the public as nothing more than glorified bus drivers. Problem is, business models like this, where the airline is nothing more than an airborne bus service operating under 14 CFR 121, is what gives credence to that viewpoint.

Every business model may come with perks, but they come with a price too.

If what you are saying is to be true then why aren't the pilots in Europe viewed as glorified bus drivers? They have had Ryanair and easyJet for a lot longer then Spirit has been doing the ULCC model.

If what you are saying is to be true then why aren't the pilots in Europe viewed as glorified bus drivers? They have had Ryanair and easyJet for a lot longer then Spirit has been doing the ULCC model.

Good question. Maybe people there are used to it, not having service of any kind? Maybe they view the whole concept differently? I don't really know. But weren't people complaining about the charging for the Lav thing?

Im not blaming pilots, as they're not necessarily in control of what their company does, they just get the fallout from it, good or bad. I don't think there's anything necessarily wrong with the legacy model in terms of a basic standard of service. In my own opinion, SWA is about as basic as it should get: no frills, but also not nickel and dimey cheap-impression by charging for every little tiny thing. They only offer a very basic cabin service, but they don't charge for bags, carryon or checked, and one doesn't have to "do their homework" in buying a ticket, necessarily, as buying an airline ticket should have a relative convenience to it, not be made into a financial research project. Advertising a $9 fare that has a crapload of fineprint fees attached to it, isn't really what I'd call customer-friendly, speaking as a pax. Just tell me what the real cost is. Im an adult, I can accept that without needing a fishing lure to reel me in.

SWA being about the base-level of service, again in my opinion, anything less than that starts getting into a "WalMart-ization" of airline service. The race to the bottom of "how cheap can we get?". But too, there wouldn't be that model in existance if there weren't customers taking part in it.......however, customers will always look to save whatever pennies they can, whether that savings comes with it's own cost, or not.

Back