American Airlines is banning carry-on bags and overhead bin use

Meh, don't worry about it. Everything will be fine once America is great again. And it will be, I promise you. A chicken in every pot and a new car in every garage and free bags on every airline. Magnificently great. Tony the Tiger Great!

That would have been true if Hillary won. If you want those things, you have to work hard and earn them. Oh that was a joke, oops! :D

No big deal.

If you want a Spirit or Frontier like fare but American is flying where you need to go, then this is an option for you. I'm sure it'll be much like Frontier and Spirit operate now, where if you bought the basic fare and didn't pre-pay for the carry-on in hand that will not fit under the seat, you will be stopped at boarding and have to cough up dough or leave it behind. If you get the bag on board, I'm sure it can go in the overhead. F/As don't have time to check the ticket stub of every pax putting their stuff up there.

If you don't want to worry about no frills airfare, buy fullfare tickets or travel on airlines like Southwest that include seat assignments, bags, and everything else in the fare. If you buy a $19 ticket from OAK-LAX, click "next, next, next" thru the 9 pages warning you about the extra charges, and then go online ranting about how you had to pay $100 at the gate for your carry-on, I think you're an idiot.

Personally, I love these fares. If I'm going to Vegas for the night or just need a backpack, I can fly Frontier confirmed for less than the segment fees to fly standby on United as an enrolled friend. If I need a roller bag and want a window seat for pictures, I'll just book on Virgin. But it is nice to have the option.

If you don't want to worry about no frills airfare, buy fullfare tickets or travel on airlines like Southwest that include seat assignments, bags, and everything else in the fare. If you buy a $19 ticket from OAK-LAX, click "next, next, next" thru the 9 pages warning you about the extra charges, and then go online ranting about how you had to pay $100 at the gate for your carry-on, I think you're an idiot.

It is a bigger deal for us corporate customers. We don't book through airline websites, so none of the disclosures regarding what the fare includes are shown to us. Amex travel or whoever books the ticket (whichever is cheapest usually), and all we see is a PNR, flight number and time.

It is a bigger deal for us corporate customers. We don't book through airline websites, so none of the disclosures regarding what the fare includes are shown to us. Amex travel or whoever books the ticket (whichever is cheapest usually), and all we see is a PNR, flight number and time.
Ah, interesting. I wonder if there is a way you guys can make sure these fares are avoided, I agree that this is unfair to you guys.

Ah, interesting. I wonder if there is a way you guys can make sure these fares are avoided, I agree that this is unfair to you guys.

Normally I do whatever I can to avoid business travel on Spirit and Frontier, which normally is easy enough as they don't tend to go where most work trips do. At some point travel policies get updated when enough workers complain, but at big companies, these rules are typically hard coded into expense reporting software systems that don't get updated often.

For the most part though, it depends where you work.

If it is a carrier I have status on, then it is fine. But I generally have status on one carrier, company will book whatever is cheapest that particular trip. And even then, status doesn't help with codeshares in many cases.

Bingo.

We use Concur which makes us pick the cheapest option provided it doesn't have some ridiculous layover. I only have status on AA and their credit cards, so if I'm stuck on Southwest or southernjets, it does me no good.

Bingo.

We use Concur which makes us pick the cheapest option provided it doesn't have some ridiculous layover. I only have status on AA and their credit cards, so if I'm stuck on Southwest or southernjets, it does me no good.

I've found with Concur, it is usually set up with a window of time that it will enforce those rules. If you get creative with your departure time, it is none the wiser. Say you want a 6:30 AM flight, and it is telling you to take the 5:05 AM with 2 connections because it is $25 cheaper --- ask it for an 8AM departure instead, and the 6:30AM is suddenly within the rules...

I've found with Concur, it is usually set up with a window of time that it will enforce those rules. If you get creative with your departure time, it is none the wiser. Say you want a 6:30 AM flight, and it is telling you to take the 5:05 AM with 2 connections because it is $25 cheaper --- ask it for an 8AM departure instead, and the 6:30AM is suddenly within the rules...

That's exactly it, plus with carriers that have limited departures, Southwurst, you can lock them out of play by selecting windows that they don't leave during.

The odd thing with Concur is booking multi segment trips. If I book DAY - AUH - MCT - CAI - DAY, it will show something crazy like $17,000 for business class, but then will book out at $5400.

Not sure how your's is set up, when I choose a higher fare I just get a note about cheaper, then I click "Business Needs" and there's no issue. I do know ours will send a note to next level up if it's $200.01 more than the cheaper fare, but doesn't prevent me from booking either way

How about a correction in the thread title? Is AA really banning carry on bags, or just offering a new ticket class that doesn't include a carry on bag?

How about a correction in the thread title? Is AA really banning carry on bags, or just offering a new ticket class that doesn't include a carry on bag?

The thread title is the same as the article title. It's completely misleading. They are offering a new fare that is dirt cheap and doesn't include access to the overhead bins. You can still have a carry on if it fits on your lap or under the seat.

The thread title is the same as the article title. It's completely misleading. They are offering a new fare that is dirt cheap and doesn't include access to the overhead bins. You can still have a carry on if it fits on your lap or under the seat.

It still isn't an accurate representation of the story. Or is it just alternative facts ?

Back