Spirit Airlines pricing on Abc15

Because the legacy priority strict boarding and those of us who boked late (and paid the most) have the last boarding priority.

I'm confused by this. Isn't boarding priority by seat assignment/row number/zone? At AA & DL the boarding is done by row/zone number. 1st class boards first, precious metals second, then they start with zone boarding. That is by seat rows, and not dependent on when a person booked their ticket. SWA obviously doesn't do this, they do their cattle call boarding. Last time I flew Airtran (last summer) they did zone boarding too, that was a fairly last-minute ticket purchase by the company I do some contract work for, and I was not among the last to board. Perhaps Airways is different, but the legacies I'm familiar with, when a person buys their ticket has nothing to do with their boarding priority. I didn't notice any correlation with ticket purchase timeframe and seating priority when I flew Airways, Alaska or Frontier. All of which I've flown on in the past 2 years, and on tickets purchased roughly a week before travel.

Im still curious how Spirit enforces the paid overhead bin storage fee when people are boarding? Can one not put something into the bin without giving a ticket stub to an F/A or something?

I'm confused by this. Isn't boarding priority by seat assignment/row number/zone? At AA & DL the boarding is done by row/zone number. 1st class boards first, precious metals second, then they start with zone boarding. That is by seat rows, and not dependent on when a person booked their ticket. SWA obviously doesn't do this, they do their cattle call boarding. Last time I flew Airtran (last summer) they did zone boarding too, that was a fairly last-minute ticket purchase by the company I do some contract work for, and I was not among the last to board. Perhaps Airways is different, but the legacies I'm familiar with, when a person buys their ticket has nothing to do with their boarding priority. I didn't notice any correlation with ticket purchase timeframe and seating priority when I flew Airways, Alaska or Frontier. All of which I've flown on in the past 2 years, and on tickets purchased roughly a week before travel.
You are correct, nothing has changed.
Im still curious how Spirit enforces the paid overhead bin storage fee when people are boarding? Can one not put something into the bin without giving a ticket stub to an F/A or something?
I'd be curious to see how they enforce it too.

T

I didn't mean to imply that it is when you buy the ticket. But, when you charge $992 to fly PHL to CLT, your system should give that person a higher boarding prioity. That is important because it contols the ability to carry on a bag or not. When one is paying $998 to fly PHL to LAS, the system should automatically give you a free checked bag.

The legacies have lost sight of the concept of differentiation. They caught onto the concept of charging fees but forgot about the concept of value for service.

I didn't mean to imply that it is when you buy the ticket. But, when you charge $992 to fly PHL to CLT, your system should give that person a higher boarding prioity. When one is paying $998 to fly PHL to LAS, the system should automatically give you a free checked bag.

The legacies have lost sight of the concept of differentiation. They caught onto the concept of charging fees but forgot about the concept of value for service.
Alaska Airlines has been good about differentiation here in Alaska. In Alaska you can check three free bags.

Alaska Airlines has been good about differentiation here in Alaska. In Alaska you can check three free bags.

Good to know and I hope they don't just build that cost into charging higher fares to everyone, including those that have just one bag or two bags or no bags.

Good to know and I hope they don't just build that cost into charging higher fares to everyone, including those that have just one bag or two bags or no bags.
Well we do get charged higher fares up here, but that is just part of doing business up here.

Problem is, if one buys their ticket at the 11th hour, for whatever reason, they're going to pay more, generally speaking. With zone boarding, there's no way to control if you board first or not, right? You could be sitting next to someone who paid significantly more or significantly less than you did for the same seat, depending on when they bought the ticket.

T

I didn't mean to imply that it is when you buy the ticket. But, when you charge $992 to fly PHL to CLT, your system should give that person a higher boarding prioity. That is important because it contols the ability to carry on a bag or not. When one is paying $998 to fly PHL to LAS, the system should automatically give you a free checked bag.

A seat, is a seat, is a seat. I never understood the thrill of getting on first beyond securing precious overhead bin space.

Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on.

Zone boarding depends on who you believe. Some swear by back - to - front, some like window - middle - aisle more.

If one were clearly superior, you'd think we'd all know it by now. LUV's 73s board in about the same time, so WTF?

If airlines really like business fliers who pay big-bucks for last-minute ticketing, you'd think they could find a way to reward them.

I'll never understand the urge to get on the airplane as soon as possible... just so I can sit there for 30 minutes, in the seat I'll be confined to for the next couple hours.

Last on, first off, please.

I'm a firm believer of as little time in the airport and on the airplane as possible. I usually go thru security as the flight starts boarding, then I end up being one of the last ones on. Exception is when I have a tight connection and I want to make sure my carry-on gets a bin over my seat so I can run with it.

Even when i travel "Business" on SWA, i still go to the back of the plane. I find most of the time while everyone fights over the front, I end up getting a whole row to myself in the back. Move all the armrest up and I basically have a couch on a '37.

Also, I find that if a FA sees you sprawled across three seats, they figure you know what you're doing and the jack is on the house.

A seat, is a seat, is a seat. I never understood the thrill of getting on first beyond securing precious overhead bin space.

Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on.

Well, one never knows why something is important to a paying customer unless one asks them. And. An attitude that espouses to "get in, sit down, shut up, hold on" is not encouraging repeat business when charging maximum fares. Perhaps someone who is on a last minute trip has to get to a meeting and can't afford the time to wait for a checked bag. Perhaps there are a million other reasons. If an airline is going to charge those kinds of fares, they should build in something that offers value to the consumer. If not, people will continue to gravitate to other alternatives.

Auto-correct champagne?

I just typed the wrong one. Durr, hurr durrr.

Oh wait, it must have been because it was sent from the far side of the planet and some of the 1s and 0s got all mixed up.

Back