Spirit Airlines pricing on Abc15

According to Spirit's "optional fee" listing page: http://www.spirit.com/OptionalFees.aspx I do not see anywhere where I can "avoid the fee" for ANY "bag". 1 "personal item" is allowed to be carried on with no charge, that's 1 purse or smallish briefcase, etc NOT a "bag". There is no way to "avoid the fee". From what I see on their official website, if you fly Spirit with a bag, you WILL pay a fee of some kind to have that bag travel with you, either checked or carryon. The fee varies depending on when you choose to pay the fee, or if it's checked or carryon, but you can't "avoid the fee".
I carry a backpack (that has everything including my purse in it) as my personal item. It works when I go for the weekend. I did have to pay for another bag when I spent the week there. No way I could shove enough clothes in the backpack with everything else for a week.

I wish there was a service where I could just have my bag shipped to where ever I'm going a few days early and have it pre staged at my hotel. Same with going back home. I'm tired of standing in line to check a bag (only to pay a fee for it), waiting at the claim, and sometimes dealing with the baggage office when it gets FUBARed. I want the convenience of only having a carry-on while still bringing my tools, clubs, snowboard, or insane amount of clothes. FedEx stores could partner with the popular hotel chains for this. When I travel, I want to get out of the hell that is the airport and get to the manager's special at the Embassy Suites ASAPly. I'm willing to pay $200 or so for that.

Allegiant Airlines joins Spirit in charging for carry-on bag fee, for bags that don't fit under the seat. Carry-on's that do fit under the seat are still free.

Me personally, the only carry-on I ever have always fits under a standard airline cabin seat.

My question is though, what is done about that person who always shows up with a carryon onboard who finds that it won't fit under the seat once they're actually onboard? It would have to go in the overhead bin, and yet they haven't paid for that.....do they get charged somehow? Or if the bag is determined to have to be gate-checked? Or is all that determined at the ticket counter with one of the "if you bag fits in this space" things, you're good to go?

Will be interesting to see if legacy mainline carriers, with their generally higher fares, try to adopt this without lowering the basic fare cost itself. Who knows.....maybe this is indeed the model of the future, everything broken down into it's individual bits, and all added up to constitute an overall fare. Though the article talks about these fares being instituted for the rising cost of fuel, which the original checked-bag fees were also, it will also be interesting to see how these carry-on fares fluctuate up or down, following fuel prices.

(CNN) -- Keep your carry-ons small on Allegiant Air flights. Starting Wednesday, if your bag doesn't fit under the seat, you're going to pay for it.

The airline plans to charge between $10 and $30 for carry-on luggage stored in overhead bins on flights booked after the fee is implemented overnight. Those prices apply for fees paid during the reservation process and vary by route. Previous bookings will not be affected.

Carry-on fees on most routes will be less than $15, the airline said. Passengers who pay fees at the airport during check-in will be charged $35. Personal items that fit under seats are still free.

Allegiant's CEO said the airline's fares are still lower than competitors'.

"When it is all said and done and you get to the bottom line and hit the 'pay' button, and you can shop our fares against anybody else. We are typically 50% lower," CEO Maurice Gallagher said.

Rising fuel prices are to blame for the hefty fee, says one industry expert.

"Allegiant has one of the oldest and most fuel-inefficient fleets in the airline industry," said Vaughn Cordle, an analyst with AirlineForecasts.

Allegiant joins Spirit Airlines as the second U.S. carrier to implement fees for carry-on luggage. In April 2010, Spirit announced carry-on charges from $20 to $45 for bags stored in the overhead bins.

Spirit declined to comment Tuesday on revenue generated by its carry-on fee, but the policy has been "very well received by our customers and our crew members," spokeswoman Misty Pinson said via e-mail. "It has resulted in a much speedier, smoother and safer boarding and deplaning."

Overall, U.S. airlines racked up $2.6 billion in baggage fee revenue in 2011, according to the Bureau of Transportation Statistics.

An ultra-low-fare model gives carriers such as Allegiant and Spirit more flexibility in unbundling the costs of air travel, Cordle said, but other airlines will be watching the carry-on fee closely.
"They're all trying to move that route, but it's a little harder for the higher-cost network airlines to tack on higher fees associated with getting passengers from A to B," Cordle said.

But "if they think they can get away with it, they're going to do it."

George Hobica, founder of Airfarewatchdog.com, agrees.

"It's a distinct possibility. Monkey see, monkey do. Clearly, Spirit Airlines didn't go bust for doing so, and now Allegiant is dipping its toes into the water," Hobica said via e-mail.

"Since there's no regulation banning such a fee, and especially because overhead bin space has not kept up with demand from passengers trying to avoid fees (leading to countless fights and unpleasantness for both passengers and crew) I don't see why at least one legacy carrier wouldn't try it."

US Airways, American Airlines and Southwest Airlines said Tuesday that they have no plans to charge for carry-ons. Delta said it doesn't comment on future fares or fees.

Story here:

http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/03/travel/allegiant-air-carryon-fee/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

Who flies with no luggage at all...?

In the end, this is just about marketing. "Which airline has the cheapest rates to place X? Oh, it's these guys! They're cheaper by $15. Sounds good to me." *Books*

People won't factor things like 'carry-on bag fee' into their decisions because it simply won't occur to them, so this airline will bottom-feed.

(... side note: Alle-who?)

-Fox

Good...the things people try to lug on planes is ridiculous, not to mention dangerous.

No kidding. I have seen countless arguments over baggage size. One of the hats I wear is the baggage check in, and weigh in guy. I have a "if your bag does not fit in here, you will have to check it" bins. I have that discussion about once a week.

Granted, some people carry on ridiculous things. That said, it's obvious that charging a fee for two checked bags will make people overstuff one checked bag, and that then charging a fee for one checked bag will make people stuff the crap out of a carry on. The reason that airlines with baggage fees for the first checked bag have to gate check so many carryon bags should be obvious... not that it really matters to them, I suppose.

-Fox

Back