Spirit Airlines pricing on Abc15

MikeD

Administrator
Staff member
Being the new airline in the valley and flying out of KIWA, with destinations to DFW and LAS, the concept of "ultra low fare" carrier is a new one for many people.

BL is, read the fineprint and the terms of service.......

......or fly SWA for a true no-frills experience! :)

Story below, and story and video at this link:

http://www.abc15.com/dpp/money/cons...sed-airfare-price-turns-out-to-cost-much-more

As fuel costs rise, so does airfare, so how can one airline offer fares as low as $9 out of the Valley?

The ABC15 Investigators found that low advertised price is very hard to get.

Mick McLaughlin of Ahwatukee saw the $9 time-limited deal and jumped at it.

He says he and his wife were looking for flights to Las Vegas.

Even when the reservation required a $59 membership to a Spirit Airlines club, Mick thought it was a good deal, so he paid for the membership.

But Mick says that reservation price quickly jumped to $176 per ticket.

He decided against the trip and asked for his $59 club membership back, but Mick says he was told he couldn't be refunded.

Spirit Airlines flies out of Phoenix/Mesa Gateway Airport and advertises "ultra low base fares."

But we've heard from others about Spirit's add-on fees.

Josie emailed the Investigators saying a $152 round trip fare to Denver, with bags, getting a seat, taxes and fees quickly became $483.

After taking a look ourselves, Spirit's bag pricing policy does seem confusing.

Their website shows each checked or carry on costs between $28 and $45 depending if you purchase it:
  • "at booking before check in"
  • "during online check in"
  • "through the reservation center"
  • "at the counter/kiosk" or
  • "at the airport gate"
Mick tells us he eventually got his $59 back after complaining about it.

In an email to the Investigators, Spirit Airlines said:
At Spirit, we are all about choice and giving customers the opportunity to save money on air travel. We offer ultra low base fares - such as the $29, including taxes and fees - that get you safely from point A to point B, with a range of optional services for a fee. This allows customers the freedom to choose only the extras they value - and they only pay for those they want and need.

Our optional fees are clearly presented to customers throughout the booking process and can also be found at www.spirit.com/OptionalFees.aspx .

Our $9 Fare Club gives members access to our rock bottom members-only fares, and they also receive discounts on bag fees.

This is coming:

php1dsiheam-1284133330.jpg

On new non stop service from New York John F Kennedy International to Kansai International. Oh, food will also be $280 extra for 1 sandwich.

This is coming:

php1dsiheam-1284133330.jpg

On new non stop service from New York John F Kennedy International to Kansai International. Oh, food will also be $280 extra for 1 sandwich.

Seriously.

In my opinion, these airlines trying to be "low fare", then another comes in as "low low fare", then another as "ultra low fare". What's next?

We talk about a race to the bottom when it comes to pay and compensation, but that same race to the bottom is perpetuated by these same carriers who give the flying public the perception that flying a plane is no different than riding a bus. Sure, convenience-wise, that may be becoming more and more true. But fare-wise, some airlines are running their own race to the bottom by giving the impression(s) they give regarding the cost of a ticket. Guess what? Not everyone can afford to fly. Pilots want to not get looked as bus drivers? Then how about their employers not perpetuating the image.

Thats funny right there. Do you honestly think they care about the employee?

Yeah, I know, wishful thinking on my part there. But too, if airline execs want to charge more money and make more money, they need to stop racing to the bottom themselves.

An oldie but goodie from The Onion:

United Airlines Exploring Viability Of Stacking Them Like Cord wood

CHICAGO—In its ongoing effort to cut transportation costs and boost profits, United Airlines announced Tuesday that it was exploring the feasibility of herding them into planes and stacking them like cord wood from floor to ceiling.

Research shows that we lose millions of dollars each month by having them all sit upright in individual seats for the duration of the flight," said CEO Glenn F. Tilton, speaking to reporters at United Airlines' corporate headquarters. "However, if we were to remove these seats, we could just sort of stack them all in there, one by one, as they file into the plane."

"If a 747's maximum takeoff weight is 875,000 pounds, then we should be packing that plane with 875,000 pounds," Tilton added.

According to a press release, the company estimates that the new policy of simply arranging them in a towering mound will allow it to sell approximately 20 times more tickets per flight. In addition, executives claimed they would be able to eliminate the unnecessary cost of in-flight magazines, chairs, seat belts, blankets, bathrooms, headphones, and oxygen masks.

United officials said they conducted a test run in September during which they sent a flight from San Francisco to Denver and really jammed them all in there as hard as they could. Analysts found that 98 percent of them arrived safely at the correct destination, and of those who were lost or damaged, nearly all were eventually located.

"After much trial and error, we've found the most efficient way to stack them is to start with a base of large ones, then put down a layer of medium ones, then fill up all the holes with the smaller ones," operations manager Gary Brown said. "The really tiny ones are great for cramming up in the corners."

Brown said engineers have also explored the advantages of different loading procedures, such as driving them down the aisle like cattle, or just putting them on their sides and rolling them in. Researchers eventually concluded that the most efficient system is to wheel them out to the tarmac on luggage carts so baggage handlers can just grab them and chuck them onto conveyor belts.

Sources confirmed that early on in the trials, engineers abandoned the so-called "criss-cross" stacking method—in which each new level of them is arranged perpendicular to the previous one—as the resulting piles were not as densely packed as possible. The research also determined that bundling four or five of them together and securing them with straps or duct tape is far too time-consuming and cost-prohibitive.

"You can't just dump them in there any which way," Brown said. "The delicate ones are liable to break, and if you're not careful, they start to sway, and pretty soon the whole mess comes tumbling down."

Added Brown, "On longer flights we really want to make sure there's no room for them to move around at all."
According to senior vice president Alexandria Marren, the new loading procedure is expected to greatly reduce boarding times, and the check-in process will be streamlined as the airline takes up labeling them with special bar codes for quick electronic scanning. United also plans to introduce several new in-flight amenities, including a sprinkler system that will cool them off every 30 minutes and grated floors through which the waste products can drain.

"On top of everything else, this is going to create a lot of new employment opportunities," Marren said of the company's modernization and efficiency efforts. "For instance, we're going to need energetic go-getters who are handy with a shovel and a bucket of peanuts. And we'll also be on the lookout for talented professionals with previous experience operating high-voltage livestock prodding equipment."

Acknowledging concerns that some of them suffer from a fear of flying, the airline announced that it will soon begin forcibly tranquilizing all of them upon arrival at the check-in gate and attaching a small $45 sedation surcharge.

onion pax.jpg

My husband and I have been flying Spirit back and forth. It's considerably cheaper than any of the other airlines. We haven't paid the $59 to join the club, but most of the flights we fly don't have the lower price for that available anyway. We haven't seen any $9, but usually pay between $100-$200 round trip, so not too bad. You know what you will have to pay before you make the reservation, so I don't understand why people would be upset after the fact. Their add-on pricing is kind of silly though. We've only had to pay for an extra bag for the one time I spent a week there though. It's kind of weird to not get a free beverage service, but not really needed on a 2 hour flight.

You folks are funny. The airline has a business model and sticks to it. Enough people like it so that it is now a major airline. Enough people like it so that it makes money. Because of that it is growing and hiring.

The real problem is the dumbing of America as people don't read and don't follow instructions any longer. Then they blame it on someone else.

I also am amused at the jump to conclusion about the lack of caring for employees. I read on other boards about the problems experienced by pilots out on disability at another airline; how they have to pay for COBRA and have financial difficulties. Then I hear about Spirit working to ensure those who are out have their coverage continued...hmmmmm. So, continue to write what you want on the internet, whether it has any basis in fact or not. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but you lose credibility if you post fiction as fact.

When Amanda needed a way to get from NJ to Fla, a few were critical when I pointed out the NK fare. Amanda was a saavy consumer and followed instructions. And a lot of money was saved. Buy your water in the airport; although the cost is often the same. There is no free ride and bags do not fly for free. SWA is no longer the lowest cost option.

You folks are funny. The airline has a business model and sticks to it. Enough people like it so that it is now a major airline. Enough people like it so that it makes money. Because of that it is growing and hiring.

Not that your opinion on this doesn't hold any bias or anything.....:D

The real problem is the dumbing of America as people don't read and don't follow instructions any longer. Then they blame it on someone else.

Very true.

I also am amused at the jump to conclusion about the lack of caring for employees. I read on other boards about the problems experienced by pilots out on disability at another airline; how they have to pay for COBRA and have financial difficulties. Then I hear about Spirit working to ensure those who are out have their coverage continued...hmmmmm. So, continue to write what you want on the internet, whether it has any basis in fact or not. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but you lose credibility if you post fiction as fact.

Not a jump to conclusion regarding lack of caring of employees, as I believe mshunter was referring to airlines in general, not necessarily just or only Spirit. Really, this is what you should be telling the TV station that did the report. I don't think anyone here has anything personally against Spirit Airlines....at least not that I've seen.

When Amanda needed a way to get from NJ to Fla, a few were critical when I pointed out the NK fare. Amanda was a saavy consumer and followed instructions. And a lot of money was saved. Buy your water in the airport; although the cost is often the same. There is no free ride and bags do not fly for free. SWA is no longer the lowest cost option.

I think SWA does it's thing as well as Spirit does, or other low cost carriers. Someone who wants zero frills will pick one over the other, someone who wants a few frills will pick the other. Who knows? Whatever the case may be, Spirit is doing things that work for it. Good on them.

The only point I was making is how airline pilots demand respect for what they do for a job, and that they're not merely airborne bus drivers; yet more and more airlines themselves consistently advertise and try to race each other to the being the lowest-cost airline, with fares lower than Greyhound and service about the same in terms of simply getting you from Point A to Point B. Fact is, not everyone can afford to fly. But with airlines making everyone think they can, then Joe SixPack is going see airlines and airline crews as nothing more than the local city bus service. Pick your poison. I don't personally see anything wrong with airlines doing that with their business model, so long as they and their crews know what it brings. Again, its nothing good or bad, it just is as it is.

I actually like the way Spirit does things. I recently went on a trip from Atlantic City to Fort Lauderdale and it was a very enjoyable flight. I only paid $54 for a one way ticket during spring break while other airlines were asking for $160 +. As for an in flight beverage... I think Spirit is very reasonable when it comes to pricing on their beverages. If I remember correctly, I only paid $2.54 for a hot tea and muffin (with free refills on the hot tea).. If you ask me, that's probably cheaper then what you would get at the local 7 Eleven. All in all, I believe Spirit has it's purpose. It's purpose is to cater to the customer that wants to fly, but doesn't wanna constitute the extra cost for stuff he/she doesn't need.

Well, some of you guys want the US to be more like Europe...this is how LCCs are in Europe. Enjoy. :)

Culver's is awesome! Also, try out Freddy's Steakburgers!

The Culver's that just opened up in TUS, and the Freddy's Steakburgers that just opened up in TUS, are both about 1.5 miles from each other on the NW side of town. Gonna have to try them out!

One of the things I enjoy about Southwest is that I can usually guess within about 50$ how much the ticket is going to be just based on what the trip is. I've rarely been surprised.

Mike: Low fare, ultra low fare - what's next?

NO-Fare (or should it be spelled No Fair ;) ). Flight is free, but you pay for the seat cushion, leg room over 2", beverage, ice for beverage, seat belt, buckle, trash pick-up, turnstyle in the jetway, windshield wipers for the CA, ditto for the FO, deodorant for the FA, Reverser activation fee, tire rubber replacement charge for bouncing the landing hard, etc.

Spirit's model seems to be working, but how many people are so disgusted that they never return? Maybe not enough.

Mike: Low fare, ultra low fare - what's next?

NO-Fare (or should it be spelled No Fair ;) ). Flight is free, but you pay for the seat cushion, leg room over 2", beverage, ice for beverage, seat belt, buckle, trash pick-up, turnstyle in the jetway, windshield wipers for the CA, ditto for the FO, deodorant for the FA, Reverser activation fee, tire rubber replacement charge for bouncing the landing hard, etc.

Spirit's model seems to be working, but how many people are so disgusted that they never return? Maybe not enough.
a lot of people like it because they can pick exactly what they want and pay for only that

Back