Spirit Airlines flight diverted from Cleveland when passenger tried to open exit door

A mouth is a mouth, you have to come to terms sooner or later.
That was my mantra in college. But I have what some would call.. standards now Chasen. But what he did on the flight... that Hawker will never be the same. Thank the lord it was the last flight for our company in it.

952? I had the distinguishing honor of being the last person ever to shut down the engines on 950, maybe 15 years too late. Sorta feel like I should have put a stake through it and seen that it was buried upside down.

Question is, if the solenoid fails on the new self opening over wing exits that are not plug type is a person strong enough to pull the handle down to start the sequence. Is there enough PSI on the small vent door/handle to prevent that from happening...I would assume yes, since it was certified.
I've worked on some smaller jets that use a sort of vent plug/panel on the exterior of the MED to lock it out if the airplane's pressurized. I recall being at FSI in Dallas for MX initial for the G200 and the instructors were closely huddled during a coffee break quietly discussing "something", there'd been a mishap on either a 200 or 150 (I don't recall) at Gulfstreams Dallas facility, apparently a line service person opened the door on a pressurized airplane somehow and the door swung out and killed him. I still don't trust those sorts of little devices.

I've worked on some smaller jets that use a sort of vent plug/panel on the exterior of the MED to lock it out if the airplane's pressurized. I recall being at FSI in Dallas for MX initial for the G200 and the instructors were closely huddled during a coffee break quietly discussing "something", there'd been a mishap on either a 200 or 150 (I don't recall) at Gulfstreams Dallas facility, apparently a line service person opened the door on a pressurized airplane somehow and the door swung out and killed him. I still don't trust those sorts of little devices.

I remember in ‘97 when the C-17 at Norfolk was on the ground post landing, and the main cabin door was forced open while there was still pressurization onboard, blowing a USN SEAL who was onboard jumpmaster out of the main door area onto the concrete and killing him.

There's been several ground deaths over the years on the CRJ for similar reasons. That main cabin door will come down like a hammer on whoever is underneath it if there is still pressure in the cabin.

Someone more current than I am on the bus may chime in, but at a lower altitude the pressure would probably drop enough they would get it open in the air.
It is certainly possible to have the door open violently on the ground with some residual delta-P (more than 2.5 mb, or 0.04ish psi apparently), hence the angry flashing red light and placard in English and Spanish admonishing you to not continue moving the handle in the event that it flashes but sometimes people do anyway.

Back