Spirit Airlines flight diverted from Cleveland when passenger tried to open exit door

Oxman

It wasn't me!

CLEVELAND, Ohio (WJW) – Spirit Airlines has confirmed to FOX 8 a flight from Cleveland to Los Angeles had to divert to Denver due to a problem with a passenger.

This happened on Flight 185 that left Cleveland around 6:15 p.m. Wednesday

Here’s a statement from Spirit Airlines:

Spirit Airlines flight 185 diverted to Denver on the way to Los Angeles due to a passenger who appeared to attempt to open an exit door. It is important to note that opening a door inflight is impossible due to air pressure inside the cabin pinning the door against its frame with force stronger than any person could ever overcome.

Safety is our number one priority at Spirit Airlines. Law enforcement met the aircraft in Denver and took the passenger into custody. We thank the crew members and Guests who assisted for handling this situation quickly prior to arrival.

No one was hurt. The flight eventually landed Thursday morning in L.A.

No word on what, if any charges, would be brought against the passenger.

Ambien claims another one.
It was usually the root cause for the times I had to call the police as a gate agent and somebody got actually got arrested.

"So it turns out that person took an Ambien\sleeping pill than drank a bunch at the bar".

How do we live in a world where the only tool for cabin attendants is some flexicuffs, duct tape and some seatbelt extenders?! Wasn't DARPA working on some immobilizing foam back in the 90s? Or how about a hypospray of fentanyl? Boom, no need to divert. :D
We could be like many Asian and Middle Eastern countries and have security agents on board. Since I guess FAMs aren't supposed to get involved in disruptive pax issues unless the safety of the flight is actually compromised. What could go wrong?

Just let them keep working at trying to open a door that they will never get opened inflight. Keeps them distracted until the divert and landing can be made.

Mike you and I know that. However, the general public believes the door will fly open, take out an engine, and suck everything including the seats out...

Question is, if the solenoid fails on the new self opening over wing exits that are not plug type is a person strong enough to pull the handle down to start the sequence. Is there enough PSI on the small vent door/handle to prevent that from happening...I would assume yes, since it was certified.

Just let them keep working at trying to open a door that they will never get opened inflight. Keeps them distracted until the divert and landing can be made.
Someone more current than I am on the bus may chime in, but at a lower altitude the pressure would probably drop enough they would get it open in the air.

Little over a year ago we had a passenger try to open an emergency exit in flight. We were going from ORD-DFW. A few passengers and the FA's jumped on the guy and used the flexicuffs and duct tape to subdue him. We diverted into STL where they promptly removed the passenger.

How do we live in a world where the only tool for cabin attendants is some flexicuffs, duct tape and some seatbelt extenders?! Wasn't DARPA working on some immobilizing foam back in the 90s? Or how about a hypospray of fentanyl? Boom, no need to divert. :D
Make it easy. Stun gun to the neck.

Back