Delta flight to Mexican resort city of Cabo diverted after passenger dies on board

On descent unless you are in an emergency, I don't know why you'd want a non-widebody, typical narrowbody jetliner to go faster than 250 kts below 10k.

That rule, like most things in aviation, was written in blood.

There are ways to exceed 250KIAS below 10,000 in an N registered airplane.

The trick is being more than 12nm off shore in international airspace.

I would think being in the airspace of a country that has a higher speed limit or no speed limit below 10,000 would work as well.

On descent unless you are in an emergency, I don't know why you'd want a non-widebody, typical narrowbody jetliner to go faster than 250 kts below 10k.

That rule, like most things in aviation, was written in blood.

Take a look at the FISEL7 into FLL. Why is MOSIE 250KIAS and 8000’? Isn’t everything below 10,000 max 250KIAS? Because it is more than 12NM offshore (not by much).

Going to be interesting when JetBlue goes into Europe. All flying below 10,000 will be 250 or less.

Doesn't the EU have some higher speeds below 10 on the arrivals????

Ok, sorry. Thought you were airline.

Regardless of what I fly, just remember that not everyone flies the A320 or B737 under 121. Just because it isn’t allowed where you fly, doesn’t mean it isn’t legal elsewhere. There’s a whole wide world of flying being done under 91, 135, 137.... Not everyone is bound by company policy, FOM or GOM.

Regardless of what I fly, just remember that not everyone flies the A320 or B737 under 121. Just because it isn’t allowed where you fly, doesn’t mean it isn’t legal elsewhere. There’s a whole wide world of flying being done under 91, 135, 137.... Not everyone is bound by company policy, FOM or GOM.

Ok. You do you by your applicable policies.

Don't forget though, many aviation rules are written in blood.

Last edited:
No, earlier.

Sadly, the PSA accident wasn't the one that required TCAS. It was 8 yrs later after the Cerritos (LA) midair collision in 1986 of an Aeromexico DC9 and a Piper 28 that then mandated TCAS.

Many people have mis-conceptions about the PSA accident. You have to read the report to get the full "gestalt".

Ok. You do you by your applicable policies.

Don't forget though, many aviation rules are written in blood.

Yes, often times legislation is enacted after the fact. However, on the subject of 91.117(a) you fell right into a stereotypical mindset of 1) That isn't legal for my aircraft or operation, therefore it shouldn't be done by anyone and 2) Regulations limit operations. Which is true, but just like perspective - are you optimistic or pessimistic about that glass filled to the 50%. If you think more about "reading between the lines" - think of all the different ways we're allowed to fly. Greater than 250KIAS below 10k is allowed when more than 12nm offshore. Same thing for say skydivers. You don't have to go to a drop zone for skydiving. Any joker can file the NOTAM for skydiving over Springfield Municipal and voila. Granted, skydiving works best with optimized egress such as a barn door or open cockpit. If they can fall out without hitting the airplane on the way, you to can drop sky divers.

Yes, often times legislation is enacted after the fact. However, on the subject of 91.117(a) you fell right into a stereotypical mindset of 1) That isn't legal for my aircraft or operation, therefore it shouldn't be done by anyone and 2) Regulations limit operations. Which is true, but just like perspective - are you optimistic or pessimistic about that glass filled to the 50%. If you think more about "reading between the lines" - think of all the different ways we're allowed to fly. Greater than 250KIAS below 10k is allowed when more than 12nm offshore. Same thing for say skydivers. You don't have to go to a drop zone for skydiving. Any joker can file the NOTAM for skydiving over Springfield Municipal and voila. Granted, skydiving works best with optimized egress such as a barn door or open cockpit. If they can fall out without hitting the airplane on the way, you to can drop sky divers.

Cool story. So, why again do you want to do > 250 kts below 10 knots in your non-widebody jetliner in a Part 91 operation (I assume?) when not in an emergency? So what if you are greater than 12 miles from shore? What do you hope to accomplish? As for glass half filed or half empty, there are dozens of dead bodies scattered across throughout our history where airspeed below 10k was cited as a direct contributing factor. Just because you can do it doesn't mean you should. Many accidents have happened where that was a resounding factor.

Posts like yours (and BEEF SUPREME stories) who's ex corporate remind me why I'm lucky to fly for a 121 operator and not some corporate operation where you better "fit in" well or otherwise you're hosed.

Cool story. So, why again do you want to do > 250 kts below 10 knots in your non-widebody jetliner in a Part 91 operation (I assume?) when not in an emergency? So what if you are greater than 12 miles from shore? What do you hope to accomplish? As for glass half filed or half empty, there are dozens of dead bodies scattered across throughout our history where airspeed below 10k was cited as a direct contributing factor. Just because you can do it doesn't mean you should. Many accidents have happened where that was a resounding factor.

Posts like yours (and BEEF SUPREME stories) who's ex corporate remind me why I'm lucky to fly for a 121 operator and not some corporate operation where you better "fit in" well or otherwise you're hosed.

What makes you think the collision of a wide body flying greater than 250KIAS below 10,000’ is less of a threat than any other traffic doing the same thing?

What makes you think the collision of a wide body flying greater than 250KIAS below 10,000’ is less of a threat than any other traffic doing the same thing?

I don't fly a widebody, never have. But I believe for them, there safe operating speed in certain configurations is greater than 250 kts which is why it is approved for them.

I don't fly a widebody, never have. But I believe for them, there safe operating speed in certain configurations is greater than 250 kts which is why it is approved for them.

So in your eyes a wide body exceeding 250KIAS below ten is safe and clear of collision hazards because they’re 121 and minimum clean speed dictates such but anyone non-121 operating at similar speeds in the same conditions is not cool.

You’re worried about closure rate and collision hazard, but the same risk exists whether or not you’re 121.

Back