Man arrested trying to open emergency door and stabbing flight attendant

Yeah...this sounds like attempted murder and a bunch of other felonies all on federal property. I don't think this guy will be flying again regardless. Lol.

He's lucky they didn't beat him to death. That Southwest passenger beaten to death rushing the cockpit in 2002 didn't shank a crew member in the neck 3 times.
I'm surprised as well.

I'd really love to dig deeper. Is it solely a question of mental health or is this guy so deeply woven into wackadoo conspiracy theories and specious media sources that his "world" is as real to him as reality is to us?

Toooootally spit-balling some half-thunk thoughts here.
IF you were to do that, are you free to go full send on this clown without repercussions?
Asking for a friend.

Just an extension of my thoughts about mental health. We're very prone to saying "Mental Health!" but sometimes ignore that living in a world where people encapsulate themselves in kinky mind-boggling political LARP that he honestly feels he's a martyr for his cause. He might be completely healthy but so deep into conspiracy theories and the online venues that validate it, it's may be another example of societal decay.

You know, the "I pooped on the house speakers desk to save the world" types.
This is why “mental health” is kind of a reverse boogeyman. It’s a catch all. We say “MENTAL HEALTH” when it’s a homeless person at a bus terminal or on a plane shouting a bunch of crazy, when someone shoots up a Walmart or a school, or when a teenager commute suicide after being bullied.

saying “mental health” is like throwing a life ring to someone drowning but not jumping in the water because you don’t want your phone and key fob to get wet. The people who jump in the water in this country are poorly paid and stretched thin. We don’t have the right type of resources. On top of that, there are some people who just can’t be helped.

on top of that, are your run of the mill idiots who there’s nothing wrong with except that the stuff they’re saying sounds crazy to us. Ultra Far right, ultra evangelist, 9/11 deniers, flat earthers, birds aren’t realers, black Hebrew Israelites…. The list is long, but distinguished - in a bad way. Maybe they’re crazy, maybe they’re just living the reality they want to live.

the world is a hard and nuanced place.

IF you were to do that, are you free to go full send on this clown without repercussions?
Asking for a friend.
No charges were pressed in the Southwest incident, and from what I read about it many years ago, I don't recall the authorities even giving them much consideration. The same on an Alaska MD-80 inbound to SFO years later where someone rushing the cockpit was beaten into critical condition, and of course the Air Marshall offing a guy in the jetway on an AA flight. But this was all very soon after 9\11 in the grand scheme of things. Today, while I think in an incident like this it could be warranted if it went down that way in the eyes of the law, there would probably be some legal dance and with your friend's luck, it could turn out that he was a philanthropist about to cure all cancers who was stabbed by Al Quida with an experimental jihad-inducing serum on his way to dedicate a new orphanage he built. So I guess everyone just better be sure it's Team America time 100% and not just World Star Hip Hop time.

This is why “mental health” is kind of a reverse boogeyman. It’s a catch all. We say “MENTAL HEALTH” when it’s a homeless person at a bus terminal or on a plane shouting a bunch of crazy, when someone shoots up a Walmart or a school, or when a teenager commute suicide after being bullied.

saying “mental health” is like throwing a life ring to someone drowning but not jumping in the water because you don’t want your phone and key fob to get wet. The people who jump in the water in this country are poorly paid and stretched thin. We don’t have the right type of resources. On top of that, there are some people who just can’t be helped.

on top of that, are your run of the mill idiots who there’s nothing wrong with except that the stuff they’re saying sounds crazy to us. Ultra Far right, ultra evangelist, 9/11 deniers, flat earthers, birds aren’t realers, black Hebrew Israelites…. The list is long, but distinguished - in a bad way. Maybe they’re crazy, maybe they’re just living the reality they want to live.

Saying "mental health" is like saying physical health, except the mental parts. External factors can hurt your mental health too, just like your physical health. If life brings you to a dark place an no one is around to stop you from falling into a conspiracy black hole when you are already questioning continuing your life, then your mental health has taken a pretty bad toll the same way your physical health would if you decided to smoke meth as much as you dedicated time Q-anon or whatever. Mentally healthy people don't generally do the things that you listed, so poor mental health will usually be, at the very least, a contributing factor to a psychotic outburst of violence. It is a case-by-case basis. No one thing can just magically make everyone stop wanting to hurt themselves or others.

Last edited:
Saying "mental health" is like saying physical health, except the mental parts. External factors can hurt your mental health too, just like your physical health. If life brings you to a dark place an no one is around to stop you from falling into a conspiracy black hole when you are already questioning continuing your life, then your mental health has taken a pretty bad toll the same way your physical health would if you decided to smoke meth as much as you dedicated time Q-anon or whatever. Mentally healthy people don't generally do the things that you listed, so poor mental health will usually be, at the very least, contributing factor to a psychotic outburst of violence. It is a case-by-case basis. No one thing can just magically make everyone stop wanting to hurt themselves or others.
Exactly. All this and more!

It's a big issue with places like where I live where there's a lot of public debate about how to curb the homeless problem. Yeah, a lot of them do have severe mental health issues, but some people act like that means they should just have carte blanche to terrorize the streets and cause harm to others and oftentimes themselves. Yes, it's tragic they are suffering like that, but everyone else has a right to not fear they're going to end up in a situation like this outside their doorstep.

It's a big issue with places like where I live where there's a lot of public debate about how to curb the homeless problem. Yeah, a lot of them do have severe mental health issues, but some people act like that means they should just have carte blanche to terrorize the streets and cause harm to others and oftentimes themselves. Yes, it's tragic they are suffering like that, but everyone else has a right to not fear they're going to end up in a situation like this outside their doorstep.

this is indeed a problem. It gets real head scratchy when the same individuals who would loudly brag and post on Facebook about supporting and demonstrating for marginalized people’s rights see a homeless wacko at the bus stop in their own neighborhood and just as soon fire them in to the sun.

like I wrote, there’s lots of nuance here. There aren’t a lot of brilliant solutions, and saying “we need better mental health care in this country11” is really just self-soothing. The building at the end of the street is burning and, as a society, we’re saying “oh, someone should call the fire department.”

this is indeed a problem. It gets real head scratchy when the same individuals who would loudly brag and post on Facebook about supporting and demonstrating for marginalized people’s rights see a homeless wacko at the bus stop in their own neighborhood and just as soon fire them in to the sun.

like I wrote, there’s lots of nuance here. There aren’t a lot of brilliant solutions, and saying “we need better mental health care in this country11” is really just self-soothing. The building at the end of the street is burning and, as a society, we’re saying “oh, someone should call the fire department.”
Yeah, I mean in my opinion people are going to have to accept that caring for people like this is going to cost money, but there's a lot of people that want all the benefits of living in a society without having to pay into the resources that come along with it.

Yeah, I mean in my opinion people are going to have to accept that caring for people like this is going to cost money, but there's a lot of people that want all the benefits of living in a society without having to pay into the resources that come along with it.
Yep.

Lest I been viewed as a holier-than-thou or something, I should mention that I fall in to these traps myself. In my current place of residence, up until a few years ago, most of the city’s homeless congregated in a particular area near a few shelters, a soup kitchen, and some other outreach organizations. The city decided to clear out the encampments (shocking, they’re still there) regularly. The people haven’t disappeared (shocking) but they’ve migrated, and they’re starting to reach our quiet 100 year old neighborhood. On the occasion I see a homeless person on my street, my reaction is frequently “do I call 911 or the non emergency?” then I’m like “oh yeah, neither.”

it would take an unthinkable amount of money to fix the problem. My taxes go up $70? RAGE…..

I went on that tirade on some comments yesterday related to some Jared from Subway documentary that's coming out that highlights all of the details nobody really wants or needs to hear. Something to the effect of we wonder why everyone's depressed.

My very white, very suburban, very affluent neighbors are all worked up over depression in teen girls. Can't seem to figure it out ...

1678211510331.png

I went on that tirade on some comments yesterday related to some Jared from Subway documentary that's coming out that highlights all of the details nobody really wants or needs to hear. Something to the effect of we wonder why everyone's depressed.

My very white, very suburban, very affluent neighbors are all worked up over depression in teen girls. Can't seem to figure it out ...

View attachment 70232
Boomers/GenX: do absolutely •-all about the climate crisis, spend decades covering up sexual abuse in the workplace, entertainment, and religious organizations, send wealth inequality skyrocketing, and take a sledgehammer to reproductive rights
Also Boomers/GenX: girls are depressed because of those damn phones!

View attachment 70232
I have feelings about this and have done some reading on the subject, but would rather defer to a subject matter expert than go on some poorly worded diatribe here. Words being hard and all.

Boomers/GenX: do absolutely •-all about the climate crisis, spend decades covering up sexual abuse in the workplace, entertainment, and religious organizations, send wealth inequality skyrocketing, and take a sledgehammer to reproductive rights
Also Boomers/GenX: girls are depressed because of those damn phones!

Oh there's certainly plenty to be depressed about. But social media does something to women on a level it doesn't for men. I can't claim to understand it, it's just manifesting itself so clearly in our neighborhood cohort of kids that are all around middle school aged. Small sample, but the ones with smartphones happen to be the ones whose parents are confiding to us about their kid's depression. They're also the kids I never see outside anymore.

Oh there's certainly plenty to be depressed about. But social media does something to women on a level it doesn't for men. I can't claim to understand it, it's just manifesting itself so clearly in our neighborhood cohort of kids that are all around middle school aged. Small sample, but the ones with smartphones happen to be the ones whose parents are confiding to us about their kid's depression. They're also the kids I never see outside anymore.
I’d say this is false, the effects it has on men just aren’t talked about as much or are still generally laughed off.

Back