Spirit Airlines passenger zip-tied, arrested after assaulting flight attendants at airport

Oxman

Why can't people just behave?

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WKRN) – A Spirit Airlines passenger who assaulted multiple flight attendants, punching one and pulling another’s hair, was restrained by others on board with zip-ties and charged with public intoxication Saturday, according to an arrest affidavit.

Police received a call Saturday evening around 7 p.m. from the airline regarding a disruptive passenger on a flight arriving at Nashville BNA International Airport. Upon arriving at the gate, Spirit Airlines’ flight crew informed officers that a female passenger had punched a flight attendant and pulled another’s hair.

The passenger was identified as 42-year-old Amanda Henry, who according to an affidavit, was publicly intoxicated. Police described Henry’s eyes as bloodshot and said she had a scent of alcohol so strong that they could smell it while attempting to carry her off the aircraft.

According to police, during the woman’s unruly rampage another passenger on the flight attempted to restrain her by tying her feet with zip-ties. Once the zip-tie restraints were removed, police said Henry was unable to walk on her own and had to receive assistance from officers who she screamed expletives at.

While in the patrol car, officers stated Henry said, “shoot me” several times while stiffening her legs against the vehicle’s door.

Henry was charged with public intoxication.

Spirit Airlines said flight crew did not wish to press charges against Henry. The airline also issued the following statement:

“Law enforcement officers met Spirit Airlines flight NK222 after arriving in Nashville from Fort Lauderdale and removed a passenger for unruly behavior. We do not tolerate aggressive behavior of any kind, and this passenger is no longer welcome on any of our flights. Thank you to our Guests who assisted our crew and local law enforcement for their assistance. We will work with the relevant authorities to ensure this individual is prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.”

Last edited:
. Police described Henry’s eyes as bloodshot and said she had a scent of alcohol so strong that they could smell it while attempting to carry her off the aircraft.

So if this is how obviously intoxicated she was when being carried off the aircraft, how the heck was she able to board the aircraft in the first place? Do gate agents not deny boarding for someone who is obviously intoxicated?

I'm not sure what you all are getting at. Gate agents let drunks down. They're not suppose to. When asked they say, "It's ok with me if it's ok with you." They've had memo's about it, they've been reminded. Culturally, they are told to make the flight crew make the decision

Yes people drink their own stuff on the plane too sometimes, but the gatehouse is about as useful keeping drunks off the plane as TSA is to keep weapons off airplanes.

So if this is how obviously intoxicated she was when being carried off the aircraft, how the heck was she able to board the aircraft in the first place? Do gate agents not deny boarding for someone who is obviously intoxicated?

couldnhave been pounding them down before boarding and it didn’t hit til after they were airborne

Last night I had a deadhead from LA-Vegas (shocker) and at 80 knots some dude just got up and started walking up the aisle. Didn’t phase me hearing the FA’s on the PA telling the guy to sit as he ignored them.

I'm not even sure what that means but, I be a little mad is someone tried to drink my alcohol.
What he means is people bring mini bottles on the plane. It started to become more prominent when the airlines stopped serving/selling alcohol during covid. The airlines have all added an announcement that passengers are not allowed to consume alcohol that they bring onboard.

What he means is people bring mini bottles on the plane. It started to become more prominent when the airlines stopped serving/selling alcohol during covid. The airlines have all added an announcement that passengers are not allowed to consume alcohol that they bring onboard.

From what I remember, that announcement was long before COVID.

Back