Delta flight to Mexican resort city of Cabo diverted after passenger dies on board

Oxman

Do the airlines do anything for the passenger next to the dead passenger?

A passenger died suddenly aboard a Delta flight bound for the Mexican resort city of Cabo, forcing the plane to divert to Sacramento International Airport.
Delta Flight 1837 had just taken off from an airport in Seattle on Thursday when a traveler became unresponsive, according to CBS Los Angeles.

The aircraft was diverted just after 7 p.m. to Sacramento International Airport, where emergency personnel pronounced the person dead at the scene.
The Sacramento County coroner’s also office responded to the airport to retrieve the passenger’s body. Officials said it appeared the person died of natural causes.

Authorities have not yet released the name of the passenger nor any other details surrounding the incident.
A spokesperson with the coroner’s office told CBS it’s likely the plane stopped in Sacramento because it was the one that was closest at the time.

Pretty sure that happened on a flight I was a passenger on coming back from Europe many years ago. Out over the Atlantic, so no diversion. Middle of the night, lots of scurrying and activity a number of rows forward of us which eventually resulted in people being moved, a call for a doctor, a much older lady crying and being comforted, and, when we exited, what I presume was a body covered with blankets in one of the short rows by a lav/blukhead area. :(

Had a middle aged guy a few years ago who along with 5-6 others from Vancouver were connecting in SFO to Puerto Vallarta. The company had us delay the flight 10 minutes for the connection that was an early departure. They were running to the gate & got on. They all boarded, seated, called for push when the FA called up and said guy was having a heart attack. The jetway was pulled, but we never got clearance to push. Had to scramble on the radio to get Paramedics & jetway brought back to the airplane. The FAs & a Nurse who was a passenger got the diffibulator on him. Paramedics show up in about 5-7 minutes & bring the guy to the front, outside cockpit door & perform CPR for 45 min. They then take him on the jetway and do the same for another 15 minutes until the doctor on the phone says that’s it. Waited on Coroner for another 1:00, it was a Sunday morning. Then flew to Mexico and back. Never will do that again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back in '14 on my first leg off of IOE on the MD80 returning to Florida we got a call from a FA stating that an elderly lady was having a seizure, vomiting, and aspirating said vomit... Captain told me to fly as fast as possible, declare an emergency, and get us on the ground ASAP. First and only time I've intentionally gone faster than 250 below 10k... it was certainly interesting considering we were going into a secondary airport with a whole heap of GA in the pattern.

First and only time I've intentionally gone faster than 250 below 10k...

And here, after flying tactical jets for so many years where no limit applied and I was always going much faster, I still these days have to constantly pay particular attention to 250 below 10, since I never had to before. I’m used to 300-350 average for coming and going, 480-600 was average for low level VR/IR routes.

And here, after flying tactical jets for so many years where no limit applied and I was always going much faster, I still these days have to constantly pay particular attention to 250 below 10, since I never had to before. I’m used to 300-350 average for coming and going, 480-600 was average for low level VR/IR routes.

its not uncommon at all for center to assign a euro airline 320kts for example and them to keep that speed well below 10 til I ask em what they’re doing.

Omni does (or at least did, guessing it will be back soon) the flying for VH, which is basically old people going from HI to Vegas to gamble, and these are the sort of old people with the habits of old people who go to Vegas to gamble at 90. Evidently it's kind of ops-normal to have one or even two slough off this mortal coil enroute. Barely a raised eyebrow.

Winding up in Sacramento, though, damn, not sure who got the better end of that deal.

Omni does (or at least did, guessing it will be back soon) the flying for VH, which is basically old people going from HI to Vegas to gamble, and these are the sort of old people with the habits of old people who go to Vegas to gamble at 90. Evidently it's kind of ops-normal to have one or even two slough off this mortal coil enroute. Barely a raised eyebrow.

Our midnight madness LAS-HNL flight allows people to take a red eye over to Vegas on a Friday night, get in at 6 am, gamble and party until 1am on Monday, and then get back home at 6am in time to go to work that morning. Or at least that's the theory. The number of issues that occur after people have just spent 42 hours straight partying in Vegas and then get on an airplane are... numerous, including the aforementioned dying.

its not uncommon at all for center to assign a euro airline 320kts for example and them to keep that speed well below 10 til I ask em what they’re doing.
In Euro-land, most places will approve high speed arrivals (not German, go figure). 300+ below 10k is not unusual, depending on traffic. Russia is 270 below 10k. It's a different world over there.

In Euro-land, most places will approve high speed arrivals (not German, go figure). 300+ below 10k is not unusual, depending on traffic. Russia is 270 below 10k. It's a different world over there.

Wasn’t one of the TRACONs allowing it for awhile here, IAH maybe? Can’t remember which one. Seem to vaguely remember something about that.

Wasn’t one of the TRACONs allowing it for awhile here, IAH maybe? Can’t remember which one. Seem to vaguely remember something about that.

For a while (maybe 2003-2006 time frame?) they were doing it as a test to see if bird strikes were a bigger issue.

For a while (maybe 2003-2006 time frame?) they were doing it as a test to see if bird strikes were a bigger issue.
I seem to remember at least one airplane I flew was limited to 250 indicated at and below 8,000' MSL specifically because of this, but this is also likely lost in effluvia.

Chicago Approach wonders why ALL airplanes don't do this.
Standard routing into KPWK has us dropped down to 3,000’ over Lake Michigan, and under a shelf of the Bravo. I swear I can hear the groan coming from Approach every time I slow to 200 kts...

Back