SkyWest or Republic?

kddx

Hi everyone, I recently received an offer from both SkyWest and Republic. Both seem like great regionals to start off the career with, but I was wondering if anyone who has worked at either can chime in their two cents. Long term goal of mine would be to work for Alaska or United, and I'm aware that OO operates for both but does that help my odds at all? Any thoughts are appreciated, thank you!

edit: Forgot to mention that I'm indifferent about the location/col. More interested in the work culture, people, training, and opportunities

Last edited:
Depends what is closer.to home, where you would rather live in, indy I believe is lower COL than st george

Skywest probably has a slightly better training program and slightly better rep than republic but it's pretty negligible. I met plenty of great dispatchers from both and I doubt the majors will really care whether you came from skywest or republic. I seen plenty of dispatchers going to majors from both airlines

Both are great. I think it comes down to location at that point. Prefer the Midwest or Southwest?
Depends what is closer.to home, where you would rather live in, indy I believe is lower COL than st george

Skywest probably has a slightly better training program and slightly better rep than republic but it's pretty negligible. I met plenty of great dispatchers from both and I doubt the majors will really care whether you came from skywest or republic. I seen plenty of dispatchers going to majors from both airlines
Ahh, forgot to mention that CoL/location doesn't matter too much for me. More interested in the companies and work culture, but thank you

If your ultimate goal is one of the majors/ULCC's then....no brainer...SkyWest by a 1000 miles. Wish I had gone there.....
But for realzz, the big boys scoop up the OO kids like pot gummy bears.

If your ultimate goal is one of the majors/ULCC's then....no brainer...SkyWest by a 1000 miles. Wish I had gone there.....
But for realzz, the big boys scoop up the OO kids like pot gummy bears.
I thought the same thing in the past. However after being in the industry for 10 years I think this is a misconception due to the size of OO. Don’t get me wrong though as they do have an amazing training program. But I don’t believe being at OO compared to a smaller regional / supp gives you much of an advantage.

Hi everyone, I recently received an offer from both SkyWest and Republic. Both seem like great regionals to start off the career with, but I was wondering if anyone who has worked at either can chime in their two cents. Long term goal of mine would be to work for Alaska or United, and I'm aware that OO operates for both but does that help my odds at all? Any thoughts are appreciated, thank you!

edit: Forgot to mention that I'm indifferent about the location/col. More interested in the work culture, people, training, and opportunities
I'm currently at a major. I can tell you from my experience, who you choose for a regional matters. A lot of politics play out at the regional level. I switched to 2 different regionals just because Skywest gave me more opportunity to get to a major successfully .

That being said, I'm not saying being at a smaller regional won't get you to a major eventually. There's a reason why dispatchers sidestep to different regionals. I would take everything you read on this forum with a big grain of salt. I believe both republic and skywest are great companies. I've known people at both regionals make it to the majors.

Last edited:
Go to one you think would not go broke and lay off ppl lol. Personally I heard good things about skw training. MIght be a good thing if you wanna build up some good habits for dispatching. Pay is not great tho and you might need to have roommates for years lol if you dont have any other income source. GL

Back