Failed CFI Initial (warning long write up)

Also he busted me on clearing turns to the left first, because airplanes would be passing on the right due to right of way rules. He didn't get on me too much about it but he did say, "show me where it says that".....

I'm a bit confused, show him where it says to do them to the left first or to not do them to the right first? 91.113 is clear that overtaking aircraft should pass the slower traffic on the right so that's a pretty good reason to go left first. However, there's no regulatory reason to do the standard 90 degrees left, 90 degrees right clearing turn that most school teach. The AIM simply states in 4-4-15 f.Training Operations that "pilots undergoing flight instruction at all levels should be requested to verbalize clearing procedures [call out "clear" left, right, above, or below] to instill and sustain the habit of vigilance during maneuvering." The Airplane Flying Handbook in all its talk of maneuvers and how to set up for them only mentions "failure to adequately clear the area" as a common error to pretty much every maneuver but never gives a prescribed method.

I've got four hours at the duty desk tomorrow, 9:30 to 11:30 on what's supposed to be my day off so stop on by if you get a chance.

I'm a bit confused, show him where it says to do them to the left first or to not do them to the right first? 91.113 is clear that overtaking aircraft should pass the slower traffic on the right so that's a pretty good reason to go left first. However, there's no regulatory reason to do the standard 90 degrees left, 90 degrees right clearing turn that most school teach. The AIM simply states in 4-4-15 f.Training Operations that "pilots undergoing flight instruction at all levels should be requested to verbalize clearing procedures [call out "clear" left, right, above, or below] to instill and sustain the habit of vigilance during maneuvering." The Airplane Flying Handbook in all its talk of maneuvers and how to set up for them only mentions "failure to adequately clear the area" as a common error to pretty much every maneuver but never gives a prescribed method.

I've got four hours at the duty desk tomorrow, 9:30 to 11:30 on what's supposed to be my day off so stop on by if you get a chance.

Yeah I'll be there. Backseating a flight that leaves at 830 but should be back at 10.

I think he was trying to point out how much he dislikes "my instructor said..." stuff. I still think it's not a terrible operating practice but he's the one who sign's my cert.

You get no days off. What do you think this is a democracy? You're a flight instructor bow and say yes sir can I have some more.

Oh I freely admit it's more of a minor dictatorship. My problem is having 6 different bosses and when one of them grants me a three day weekend I expect the scheduling department to leave me be. Then again, had I not logged in to check on my students...

Oh I freely admit it's more of a minor dictatorship. My problem is having 6 different bosses and when one of them grants me a three day weekend I expect the scheduling department to leave me be. Then again, had I not logged in to check on my students...

Haha totally messing with you man.

By the way as soon as I get this whole job secured, locked, and paid, you are me are gonna hit the town for a beer or five. My treat.

Just don't be like one certain instructor who begged me for $6 because he didn't have money for lunch then come pay day claimed he couldn't pay me back and then later only gave me $5. I admit I'm on the high side of the pay scale for instructors at the school but even as a new hire I know for a fact he's making more than most first year regional FO's.

Hmm I hate the standardisation issues, every time you use a new school or a new DPE. Of course you cant raise it with them. As long as you do clearing turns both ways it shouldn't matter. The simulated braking point is fair though.

On the CFI checkride I was told no crosswind turn until 700 and arrive on downwind at the pattern altitude. Fair enough, but if I turn earlier and get good climb performance I'm going to do it.

Anyway, if you take the recheck with him you know what to look for.

Too bad on the bust. At least you are learning from it and moving up and on. All yours the next go.

Yup days have gone by and with each day I dive deeper in deeper into what is to come and prepare for it. Looking forward to it at this point because now I know and have learned so much because of the failure.

However, the nervousness is always lingering as with any check I suppose.

Thank you guys for your help and support. Much appreciated

I busted my CFI initial twice and my CFII once. No big deal, keep a good attitude, learn from it, and realize that you will have to explain it on every interview for the rest of your life so you need to be positive about it.

Honestly my a palms were sweating as I was reading your experience. I will be starting my cfi course in March and probably take the initial sometime by the end of March and I'm already nervous.

To echo what everyone has said, you did well on the oral and to me that's what's making me the most anxious. I say this as I am taking a brake going over my PTs.

All the best on your recheck. I'm sure you will pass with flying colors.

On the CFI checkride I was told no crosswind turn until 700 and arrive on downwind at the pattern altitude. Fair enough, but if I turn earlier and get good climb performance I'm going to do it.

Where does it say not until 700'? AC 90-66A says the turn should not start until within 300' below TPA. Lots of airports have well below 1000 TPA.

At a busy airport, like most Bravos, tower will ask you why you haven't turned at 100AGL...

Honestly my a palms were sweating as I was reading your experience. I will be starting my cfi course in March and probably take the initial sometime by the end of March and I'm already nervous.

Where are you doing your training?

To echo what everyone has said, you did well on the oral and to me that's what's making me the most anxious. I say this as I am taking a brake going over my PTs.

All the best on your recheck. I'm sure you will pass with flying colors.

Same here, and I did my CFI ride eight years ago! That was definitely one of the most intimidating rides I've ever done.

Had the recheck scheduled today. Got up bright and early and felt extremely prepared for the flight after doing some additional training. Examiner called 30 minutes before show saying he was sick.

Dang.

This check ride...:cool:

Hopefully can get it done soon.

I feel your pain, man. I took my oral in 12/29 and haven't been able to do my flight test yet. It snows every time I schedule it; looks like I will be doing another oral.

Back