Sitting at the gate, and your told about a contagious passenger.

Alex H

So this was on the news tonight, passengers complained to the flight crew while at the ramp about a sick passenger, and how they believe she's contagious, so they want to sit somewhere else. what ended up happening was that the crew had her removed from the aircraft, sit at the gate before being allowed onto a later flight that day after seeing there was nothing wrong with her health.

At my former airline, we had a number to call, I forget the name of the 3rd party company that would give us the "GO" or "NO GO" decision for someone who was sick with certain conditions, but at the end of the day (not sure if it was a written rule) - it was always the CA's call, and 9/10 they would say "NO GO" to prevent anything from happening while en route.

Personally, if the sick passenger was fit to fly by the book, I would offer other concerned passengers either new seats based on availability, or the opportunity to rebook their segment on a later flight.

At my former airline, we had a number to call, I forget the name of the 3rd party company that would give us the "GO" or "NO GO" decision for someone who was sick with certain conditions, but at the end of the day (not sure if it was a written rule) - it was always the CA's call, and 9/10 they would say "NO GO" to prevent anything from happening while en route.

Personally, if the sick passenger was fit to fly by the book, I would offer other concerned passengers either new seats based on availability, or the opportunity to rebook their segment on a later flight.

That's how we do it. The passenger complaining is given the opportunity to get off if the person they are complaining about is medically cleared.

So this was on the news tonight,

Strike One. The news is generally "reactionary" and is old school click-bait.

passengers complained to the flight crew while at the ramp about a sick passenger, and how they believe she's contagious,

Strike Two. The common cold is contagious as well and generally when you're showing no symptoms.

If you ran your jet according to fashionable hysteria, it'd never leave the gate.

If you have a concern about a passenger, you need to expand your team and get operations, your dispatcher and corporate security in the loop. By the time that people, who aren't medical experts, feel that they're potentially exposed to a medical condition, they've already been exposed to it so hasty action is just simply folly.

This past spring we had a flight attendant call during push to say a passenger had just projectile vomited all over himself, the plane, and about three other people.

We were still hooked up, so we had the push crew pull us right back into the gate.

We let everyone get off the plane so they could clean it up. The poor guy was incredibly embarrassed. Said he wasn't sure what happened. He didn't feel ill, flies regularly and doesn't get motion sickness, but as soon as the plane started moving it came out of nowhere. You could tell he felt terrible about what happened, but said he felt ok and just wanted to go home to BDL.

We reunited him (and the other pukies) with their gate checked bags so they could get cleaned up and changed.

We talked about it with the gate and decided we had no problem taking him. Some of the passengers voiced their concerns and we offered THEM the opportunity to take the next flight.

We aren't medical professionals. Unless there is an obvious problem, you pretty much have to take people at their word. Otherwise was Derg mentioned, you'll never go anywhere.

As someone who projectile vomited all over a bar in Amsterdam (sober), almost getting some on the woman I ended up marrying, the poor guy probably wanted to curl up into a ball and die from embarrassment. Making him spend the night in the airport would be just mean.

As someone who projectile vomited all over a bar in Amsterdam (sober), almost getting some on the woman I ended up marrying.
I'd like to hear more of this story sometime.

You must be very manly to be able to yak and still snag the girl who was in proximity

I'd like to hear more of this story sometime.

You must be very manly to be able to yak and still snag the girl who was in proximity

Honestly, I think without it things may have ended differently.

Here is the cliffs notes. I had just met her, thanks to @NotCoolEnufToFly. After the first date I was head over heels. I had already made arrangements to help my brother and his family move from AMS to CLT, but I wanted to spend the next weekend with this girl I had just met. I jokingly (jokingly so that if she said no, it wouldn't be weird) offered her a chance to come with me via a buddy pass, and she accepted.

So she was out the whole weekend and it was great. The last night I had an Irish coffee after dinner. The mix of milk, coffee, and booze made me not feel that great.

My two brothers were basically trying to drink eachother under the table. I tried to settle a "I can chug a pint of Guinness" argument. It went straight down. Because of my current condition it also came right back up. Absolutely the most embarrassing moment of my life. Unfortunately I was completely sober for it.

I went into the restroom, cleaned up. Took th mop from the guy trying to clean up after me (who was trying to kick me out of the bar), cleaned up, and we all left.

All said, I think it was a positive. If you go and have the most embarrassing moment of your life and the woman of your dreams is still waiting for you at the bar, it kind of propels you past the awkward "getting to know you" stage and into the "I seriously can't say anything that would embarasses me any more than what I just did" stage.

Been married 5 years this month, not a single regret. Am I missing anything @AMR1030 ?

Back