A note to the new folks. This is a workplace.

I spent most of the summer of 2021 doing at least one Manhattan long layover per week. Museums, yoga pants, GREAT FOOD, parks, people watching, what is there to not like (other than stepping in and smelling garbage water)? You could literally live there for a year and not see everything.

PIT is aight. Really, most places are aight.

if you can’t find something of value to do on an overnight, you’re doing the overnight wrong.
I miss the days of not having a redeye followed by 11 hours of sleep, then more night flying.

I haven't been to NYC since 1998 or so, although I live just 70 miles to the north with lots of public transportation options. Haven't missed it a bit.

Got some fine nearby restaurants, deer and fox and others come to visit often in this place, and there is neither a cacophony of constant sound nor a multitude of people with whom I have to rub shoulders. If I want "culture," somehow, there is a bit of that more local but, after these nearly 69 years, I'm pretty damned happy with the silence of the woods and the critters who visit. The grocery store is my "excitement" these days, without regret. Some friends and family are relatively close at hand, and life is good - as it should be.

Of course, YMMV - as circumstances and personal choice dictate.

I like to mix it up. While I built my house out in the country with a good amount of acreage, I do like to travel and get some city time in. But yeah, only to visit. The thought of actually living in a place like Manhattan makes me cringe.

The Hotel Committee was always a thorn in my side. Filled with people who have unrealistic expectations. After they went on a jihad against us because they weren’t satisfied with what we negotiated, which was essentially industry leading hotel language, I fired the whole committee and replaced them from scratch.

It's one of the hardest committees to get on here, which is probably why we have screwed up hotels sometimes and the company says 'ALPA approved!" when there's an issue.

I've never understood pilots beotching about hotels. For goodness sakes, we don't stay in Motel 6s. We stay in fairly to very decent hotels, large recognizable chains, and sure every once in a while something gets screwed up. Too much noise, not much food options (almost not even a problem now with UberEats and DoorDash), gym not open 24/7, etc.

But for the most part, hotels are fine. Nearly all the complaints I hear are first-world problems.

This coming from pilots who are cheap themselves and pay $250-300/month to stay in a crashpad with 10 other grown ass men sharing 1 bathroom and sleeping in bed bunks. But please, tell me why your hotel on the company dime sucked.

Personally, I love when the wonks start spouting their ideologies early on. Makes it a lot easier to identify them. I’d rather have that than them sitting quietly until something comes up, and suddenly they start railing about Lizard People and Aliens.

Most who bring this stuff up are looking for either (a) validation, or (b) a debate. I try to make it pretty clear that I’m not interested in either.

I love getting to know my coworkers, especially those with backgrounds/perspectives different from mine. But if you want to have a “harrumpf” fest, or a round of sparring, I’m out.

…and nothing will glaze me out faster than the topic of Sports. Any. Unless it’s the Salt Lake City Bees, or the JMCHS Bulldogs Swim Team.…

WRT the OP: Yeah, I really don’t think this pertains to the “New Folks”, who mostly sit quietly and mind their manners, as it does to the ones who have been around long enough to start thinking they’re “untouchable”. Which of course, no one is…

Welp, the entirety of the thread went right over your head, WOOSH!!
(caution, wake turbulence)

I don't bring up politics in the cockpit.

Because I don't act like an undermedicated 12 year old.

(and I would never insult Hitler like that)
((it's just rude for even him))

I think you proved my point.

I'm old School. Plus, they used to check us on doing a raw data ILS on PTs, so I got in the habit of hand flying an approach a week (only in controlled situations - no red eye, not at 0100, only if doing so doesn't increase the other pilot's workload). Law of primacy and stuff.

I'm old School. Plus, they used to check us on doing a raw data ILS on PTs, so I got in the habit of hand flying an approach a week (only in controlled situations - no red eye, not at 0100, only if doing so doesn't increase the other pilot's workload). Law of primacy and stuff.

The place to practice raw data is in the sim. Not with paying passengers in the back.

Back