Should Flight Training be an Enjoyable Experience?

Well, since Derg signaled with the old Bat-Light I guess I'll give my $.02

As he mentioned, I am former Army rotor, and I am currently airline. After leaving the service I actually never considered rotorcraft flying on the civilian side of the fence for several reasons. One of the biggest reasons, which will not apply to you, is that I never felt as if it could ever be as fulfilling as military flying. However, that aside there is a laundry list of reason I chose fixed wing flying, and airline career progression, over rotorcraft.

Let's see if I can address you post piece by piece.

So as a novice and still a baby in the field I thought the airlines were the only route for the wannabe aviation enthusiast to make a career out of. As I started to become more aware of what the field entailed, with long hours, bad pay, rocky family life, and some claiming unsatisfying flying (i.e. the bus driver mentality), I started to look towards other avenues to incorporate flying as a job.

A buddy of mine recommended helicopters, which at this point didn’t even cross my mind as I thought the field was dominated strictly by military pilots. After doing a little research: the schedule, rewarding flying, pay, and overall “coolness” of helicopters seemed to outweigh the fixed wing counterparts. The 7 on 7 off schedule seemed fantastic to incorporate my desire to travel, and the ability to pick a base and call it home seemed fantastic (referring to EMS). With salaries starting at 50-60K, I felt that it would be a livable solution to potentially avoid the hardships of fixed wing.

Let me stop you here and address some of what you are assuming.

First off you mentioned that you were young, which if fine. However, if you intend to make career decisions you should employ maturity and objectivity.

Your comment regarding "Overall coolness" of helicopter flying made me, and probably 90% of the other professional pilots on the forum, crack up! If a primary consideration regarding a life career choice is coolness you're already a lost cause.

Most pro pilots on this site, myself included, would tell you that we would fly a C-150 around the pattern of local uncontrolled field if it paid the same as flying a B-777 on a transcon route. The coolness factor of any flying job will be relativity short lived, and then it will become a job. Not to say it can't be a job you don't love (I really like what I do), but it will become a means in which to pay your bills and feed your family.

If you think you are going to escape long hours, bad pay, rocky family life, and unsatisfying flying because you are going to fly a helicopter, you are dreaming. In the end, your job will be what you make of it.

As for your 50-60K starting salaries, well, other have already commented towards this aspect of your reasoning. Helicopter flying generally has higher starting pay, no doubt out that. What you fail to mention, perhaps because you are unaware, is that helicopter will top out MUCH lower then comparative fixed wing flying, and there is no doubt about that either.

Additionally, as a helicopter private pilot it could be years before your are anywhere near competitive for any such position that would afford you those kinds of salaries, and it will cost you significantly more to get there.

There are also far fewer rotorcraft positions to be filled throughout the country, and, as you mentioned yourself, the competition from ex-military rotorcraft pilots for such positions will be fierce. What do you think you will be earning while you are building competitive flight time?

Fast forward to today:

I am enrolled in a professional pilot program for helicopters and am at a loss as to whether I chose correctly. I am through my private license, but every day after training I feel like I’ve gone through 12 rounds with Tyson and put away wet. As a young man flying airplanes, I felt completely at home and never out of place even in the worst of situations (sometimes induced by myself). With helicopters I have this persistent knot in my stomach and a constant feeling of uneasiness. The helicopters are Robinsons and Schweizers, so not exactly the most stable or comfortable machines, however if I am feeling out of place now, how will I feel when I’m approaching a dark field on a gusty night with NVG and everyone relying on me?

While I’m getting a lot of praise from the instructors as being somewhat gifted with flying helicopters (fast learner I suppose), I am constantly white knuckling the controls, be it from a flock of birds whizzing by, gusts of wind, light turbulence, or a magneto slightly hiccupping sending a vibration through the controls…”OH GOD THIS IS IT, oh wait we’re fine”. I never felt this way with airplanes, and now I’m hoping for rainy days just so I don’t have to fly and can relax and breathe.

There have been times when a strong gust of wind with accompanying turbulence has hit the helicopter causing it to forcibly roll hard left then right and I see my life flashing before my eyes with Frank Robinson’s voice describing the dangers of low g maneuvers and mast bumping running through my head. With planes, I could get slammed around severely and not even break a sweat. With the looming 1 second until certain death with an engine failure and decaying rotor RPM, I’m not sure how I’d react if that did happen or if a bird blasted through the tail rotor leaving things in complete instant disarray.

I don’t want to be a quitter or a softy, but at this point I don’t know where this leaves me. Perhaps this is a grass is always greener mentality, but I feel the lifestyle of a helicopter pilot FAR outweighs that of an airplane pilot, but I believe that I am actually destined/comfortable/good at flying airplanes.

If I had to guess the apprehension you have towards flying rotorcraft will subside with time. I can recall in IERW training we had two in the class that consistently barfed into their helmets during the first phase of training. THey both got through it and turned out to be pretty good sticks (As far as I know). I personally never had any issues, but everyone is different. I would certainly say that it is not entirely out of the normal.

At the same time, if you find that you are not getting over it after hundreds of hours of flying, you might want to reconsider.There is nothing wrong with following you gut, and ultimately if it is not for you, it is not for you. No shame in that.

It is entirely possible that aviation might not be for you. It happens, regardless of how badly someone may believe they are cut out for it. In the end it is a decision only you can make.

So I’d like to hear what everyone has experienced and felt like during their training and their future job prospects.

Have you ever felt like giving up?

Not personally.

Did you enjoy it, or were you constantly looking towards the future to get passed it?

Some aspects yes, other no. I always looked towards the future, but not necessarily to get passed it. I just think looking towards the future is a normal aspect of training.

Is fixed wing what you expected? Are you satisfied?

Yes and Yes

Any helicopter pilots sympathize with what I feel? Am I being a big baby?

You don't need sympathy, per se, in your case. Just sounds like you have some choices to make.

So let’s talk about this!

As a side note, I know I am in no place to do this, but I’m also questioning the maintenance of the helicopters and the underlying motives of the business. It’s more than likely induced by my hesitation and cautiousness, but that’s another reason that has my nerves are elevated.

Family is also the most important thing in my life (no surprise), so the schedule of helicopters and beauty to have the option to live back at “home”, seems like one of the more dominating aspects. Working for someone like Netjets (with the 7/7), would be fantastic, but know the time horizon for that will be 15 years or more, and is an extremely sought after job. Perhaps there are other alternatives?

Personally, I believe that your earning prospects, career prospects, and overall lifestyle would be more favorable with fixed wing flying in the long term.

Good luck.

(My personal opinions expressed above - your mileage may vary)

A
Aguadilla. Was good to go for May 20th, but not so much right now. I want to get down there SO bad so that I can get as many GoPro videos as possible of me crashing attempting to surf! :)

Aquadilla is a pretty cool place. A lot more laid back than the rest of the island for sure. Enjoy the surf while you are here :)

Back