Same old song and dance...

Beep

I know this has been discussed plenty of times on here, but I'll go ahead and drag the dead horse out and beat it some more.
I have been working on moving from 135 flying to a career position at a 121 carrier for over a year now, I had a terrific opportunity last year with Frontier, but I went in to the interview unprepared and a bit anxious and did not get the job offer. I really, really wanted to be there and in my attempt not to come across as Tommy Calahan learning how to sell brake pads I came across as a bit confused, and unsure about my career goals.
Don't get me wrong, it was a great experience, I learned a lot from it and I really do feel that the job was there for me had I been prepared, and less concerned with messing up the interview.
Up until very recently I have kept my applications to companies where I could see myself being happy, and proud to spend the rest of my career. I have kept my applications updated, and re-applied as necessary and still have a positive outlook for the future, but recently there have been some changes happening with my current work situation and I have some serious doubts as to whether or not it will be around much longer, so I have been apying to some regional airlines as well.
I understand that having 121 experience makes you a " known entity " and it is not out of arrogance that I have been avoiding the regionals, I have just been spending my time enjoying the ride, working with some great people and living life.
I am now in the position where I have an interview with Piedmont ( that I need to get rescheduled since I had a schedule change that caused me to have to reschedule ), and a job offer from Mesa.
With Mesa I would have either a one leg commute, or possibly have the opportunity to be based where I live after a few months. From a QOL standpoint that is really nice, but considering that they are coming up on the end of their expansion, have a fairly low turnover rate, and seem to have hired the majority of the pilots on their seniority list in the past couple of years I'm not really too sure about ending up on the tail end of the seniority list.
Piedmont would be a two leg commute, and would probably stay that way I would imagine as the new aircraft coming will probably go to pilots already at the company, and those hired as they start receiving them.
I guess what I am getting around to is this... would it be unreasonable to just continue targeting only the companies where I see myself spending the next 20 years, or is my lack of 121 time really holding me back?

I don't have anything to add to help you out with your specific situation Beep, but for anybody that can, I've met him and he's a good dude. I think he's being overly humble regarding his F9 experience last year... He moved past the lunch time "cuts", where people that weren't prepared for the tech/crm/HR stages were sent home. But he didn't "pass" the somewhat strange and nebulous CP interview at the end (along with several of us). It was honestly the most bizarre interview stage I have ever experienced in my life, and has no bearing whatsoever on his fit for a 121 carrier.

I think he would be a great addition to any airline, and I think anybody that spends even five minutes talking to him would feel the same. For all of his experience, I wish there were a way for him to get on with a LCC (Spirit?) or a Legacy... Having somebody like this go to a regional to get "seasoned" is pointless IMO.

I don't have anything to add to help you out with your specific situation Beep, but for anybody that can, I've met him and he's a good dude. I think he's being overly humble regarding his F9 experience last year... He moved past the lunch time "cuts", where people that weren't prepared for the tech/crm/HR stages were sent home. But he didn't "pass" the somewhat strange and nebulous CP interview at the end (along with several of us). It was honestly the most bizarre interview stage I have ever experienced in my life, and has no bearing whatsoever on his fit for a 121 carrier.

I think he would be a great addition to any airline, and I think anybody that spends even five minutes talking to him would feel the same. For all of his experience, I wish there were a way for him to get on with a LCC (Spirit?) or a Legacy... Having somebody like this go to a regional to get "seasoned" is pointless IMO.

Thanks, that is very kind of you to say!

If you feel your current job may be in ending soon then a jump to a regional might be a good move; the addition of 121 time to your resume will certainly help but it is by no means a guarantee that you'll get an interview at a more prestigious airline. Personally Id avoid a two leg commute like the plague, just one leg is stressful and enough to make you go crazy.

I'm with avoiding the two leg commute.
Upgrade times can be tough to predict so I would avoid a regional decision based upon that alone.
If 121 is what you want to do then start flying 121. It's not to say you can't make the jump from 135, just a little tougher.
Good luck. My first interview on the 121 world was also a bust. It was with ACA.

@Beep I don't know anything about your family situation or where you live, but do you have the right kind of experience to go to PSA and either spend a short time as a FO or possibly get a direct entry captain slot? PSA is taking some DECs now apparently and might be worth a look. They have also been pushing guys who might upgrade to captain soon to the front of the line during FO training. (Plenty of info on that in other threads here and on that other site) If you bid for the CLT base, that might not be a bad commute. I figured since you only mentioned Piedmont and Mesa, I would throw PSA as a suggestion. (Disclaimer: I'm in FO training with PSA, not pushing any agenda though)

Last edited:
If you have 4000TT and 1000 TPIC, you can try for Spirit by going to one of their job fairs. That's where most of the folks they're hiring now are coming from. And there's plenty of guys who come to spirit straight from 135 with zero 121 time (usually about 1/3 to 1/2 the class are guys coming from 135, cargo/ACMI, L3/Dynamic kind of flying)

There's no tech interview, it's all HR, they don't ask you anything about your airplane, no line oriented interview - it's all only touchy feely HR kind of questions.

DFW wouldn't take too long to hold - just a few months - and reserve in DFW is the cushiest job you could ever get if you live in base. get called out maybe once or twice a month. The rest of the month is occupied by taking care of the honey do list, and golfing/sailing/soaring or whatever your persuasion is (or at the moment sandbagging the house and bailing water out of the flooded basement.)

And if you really don't want to work on your reserve day, you just tell them you need to full 3 hour call out even though you could be there in 20 minutes, and I've been told to go back on RAP, they got someone else to come in for 200% who could get to the airport sooner.

@Beep I don't know if the life is for you, but I know a 777/767 ACMI place that loves guys like you. It is home based but you can be on the road 18 days a month, out of the 7 guys in my class only 3 had any jet time.

@Beep I don't know if the life is for you, but I know a 777/767 ACMI place that loves guys like you. It is home based but you can be on the road 18 days a month, out of the 7 guys in my class only 3 had any jet time.

But there is zero schedule flexibility which can make it very tough to leave when you're trying to set up interviews with a major airline. Just food for thought. Some airlines are great with offering multiple interview dates and others not so much.

But there is zero schedule flexibility which can make it very tough to leave when you're trying to set up interviews with a major airline. Just food for thought. Some airlines are great with offering multiple interview dates and others not so much.
It seems to be getting better from talking to the guys that have been here a few years. I am still new so I really have nothing to compare it to. But I guess split lines are something new. 9 on 6 off. Also trying to make more known flying lines. I had two of your buddies in my class, nice guys.

Thank you everyone, I live in Dallas, I have reapplied to Frontier, in fact I just updated my application this morning. I have also applied to several ACMI carriers and have visited with Spirit at two job fairs.
I know I'm not the most qualified applicant out there, but I can say with a healthy sense of humility that I am a competent pilot, a decent person and will bust my butt to not only do the job, but do it well.
Aside from the regional applications I have turned in all of the places I have applied to are companies that I would be thrilled to work at and would plan to to make a career of!

Thank you everyone, I live in Dallas, I have reapplied to Frontier, in fact I just updated my application this morning. I have also applied to several ACMI carriers and have visited with Spirit at two job fairs.
I know I'm not the most qualified applicant out there, but I can say with a healthy sense of humility that I am a competent pilot, a decent person and will bust my butt to not only do the job, but do it well.
Aside from the regional applications I have turned in all of the places I have applied to are companies that I would be thrilled to work at and would plan to to make a career of!
It's very possible to go from 135 to frontier and spirit. (Minimums met)

If you live in Dallas, plan to stay in Dallas, and want nothing but Dallas long term, I know the two leg would suck but Piedmont has the same flow #'s as PSA with 1/4 the people on the list, if you are interested in AA. You'll flow in a decent amount of time. Also they aren't going to outstation base the E175's, no way no how. It would be a bit of a gamble but it could really, really pay off long term. Do some more research but the stuff I was reading was 5-6 years and then flow time. The other nice thing is a fairly short upgrade period, giving you the ability to get to SWA if desired as well.

That being said, living in base makes the job a pretty awesome one, people go and screw it up by commuting (I commute for now) and it starts to suck. Mesa will have some movement but nothing like the USX commuters are experiencing right now.

Back