Run in with carbon monoxide.

Hckey2477

Well-Known Member
Had a flight today working on my cfi rating. about 30 minutes in during slow flight my instructor asked me "what are you doing?" (i was losing altitude like crazy). I was feeling very lightheaded and my vision was blurred. I mentioned this to him and he about lost it when he saw the carbon monoxide detector was nearly black (supposed to be orange). Luckily there was an airport nearby and were given priority to land. As my instructor was talking to tower I noticed his speech was very slurred, but I didn't mention it until after the flight. i didn't want to make things any worse than they already were. Thankfully we made it on the ground safe, and were picked up by car to return home. Moral of the story, keep an eye on your CO detectors they could save your life.
 

Hckey2477

Well-Known Member
Yes we did. opened the windows, and vents. checked to make sure the heater wasn't on and made a descent.
 

upup89

Well-Known Member
Had nearly the same thing happen to me when I was working on my CFI. There was three of us in this Cutlass and all three of us got kind of sick to our stomachs and extremely tired.

Glad you are okay.
 

PGT

Well-Known Member
I don't think the planes I fly have carbon monoxide detectors, kinda freaky now.

What do you think would have happened to you if you were flying singe pilot? Do you think you would have noticed and landed?
 

Hckey2477

Well-Known Member
Once I realized that things weren't feeling right I too looked at the CO detector. I'm pretty sure we realized what was going on at the same time. As A single pilot I would have absolutly landed the plane right away. (although it may not have been all that smooth) my reaction time was definitly affected.
 

DPApilot

GUYSH! GUYSH! GUYSH!
Once I realized that things weren't feeling right I too looked at the CO detector. I'm pretty sure we realized what was going on at the same time. As A single pilot I would have absolutly landed the plane right away. (although it may not have been all that smooth) my reaction time was definitly affected.

It's weird. the CO detectors are there but it seems like we (at least I) never check them...

I guess we (I) take it for granted....

glad you're okay!
 

killbilly

Vocals, Lyrics, Triangle, Washboard, Kittens
I had a rather chilling thought as I read this - because I honestly don't know if any of the airplanes I fly even have them.

But it definitely makes me think I oughta invest in a portable one. Sporty's carries them.
 

Holocene

Well-Known Member
I heard a story about an instructor taking a sharpie to the CO detector and faking delirium while the student was flying.

I guess some go the extra mile during training...:cwm27:

Glad you got it down okay.
 

Hckey2477

Well-Known Member
I had a rather chilling thought as I read this - because I honestly don't know if any of the airplanes I fly even have them.

But it definitely makes me think I oughta invest in a portable one. Sporty's carries them.
Yes definitly do, even if its not the battery powered type you could carry one around with you. We had the one with the orange circle.
 

Hckey2477

Well-Known Member
I heard a story about an instructor taking a sharpie to the CO detector and faking delirium while the student was flying.

I guess some go the extra mile during training...:cwm27:

Glad you got it down okay.
That can't be a good idea, and sounds kinda cruel. Many students have anxiety as it is, and to do that would seem to trigger a panic/anxiety attack. :rolleyes:
 

ppragman

FLIPY FLAPS!
Had nearly the same thing happen to me when I was working on my CFI. There was three of us in this Cutlass and all three of us got kind of sick to our stomachs and extremely tired.

Glad you are okay.
Ya know, we've got CO detectors, and often times at work, I'll feel really sleepy as I'm driving along, I've often wondered if we didn't have CO detectors if I'd notice the symptoms.
 

Soku39

Well-Known Member
Y'know now that I'm actually using the heat in the airplanes since it's going colder, I find myself practically staring at that thing (there's nothing else to look at on the CFI side anyway right?), I just don't trust any GA muffler shroud, and I almost expect it from our airplanes. Definitely up there losing the engine as far as my biggest worries. Good job getting it on the ground safely.
 

Baronpilot244

Killick Stoker
Wow! Imagine that being at night or in IMC - just to add to the confusion.
I often worry about our cabin heater as it runs off the gas, burns it just like a little engine etc. don't have to worry too much about the mufflers as the engines are out on the wings, but that heater definitely makes me nervous. There's a pressure test required every so many hours but I get it done each year regardless.

Well done on getting down safely!

BP244
 
R

Roger, Roger

Guest
I often worry about our cabin heater as it runs off the gas, burns it just like a little engine etc.
Janitrol? Good lord I hate those things. Pain in the butt. Used to be the only way we could keep ours from popping the overheat breaker (located in the nose gear well in the Duchess) was to run it full blast or not at all. That is one area where the DA-42 wins-Coolant heat FTW.
 

Firebird2XC

Well-Known Member
Good post- definitely something we can all look out for. Smoke/fumes/CO in the cockpit are a big deal no matter what kind of airplane you fly.

Good job, mang. Glad to see you survived your first emergency situation. :)
 

WacoFan

Bigly
That reinforced the CO dangers for me. Thanks for posting. Also, as DE727 said, please report what the problem was. Could a craked exhaust cause this? What would the most likely culprit be?
 
Top