Run in with carbon monoxide.

Had a run in with Carbon Monoxide in the Dutches....damn heater was pumping it out. I'll never forget the headache it gave me, worst pain ever. My CFI and I had to talk to each other the whole way how to stay awake...welcome to flying.

A few questions about C02:
If you fly with the air vents open and having air flow through the cabin, will that stop the onset of the effects of C02?
If you open the windows if you suspect C02, does that clear the air and allow enough time to land?
I have heard your fingernails will turn blue, is this true?
Thanks!

Note for future reference; CO2 is carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide is CO.

hallmark of CO poisoning is "cherry red" lips. CO binds to hemoglobin permanently and the red blood cells affected have to first be destroyed by the body's natural recycling process and then new red blood cells need to be made before your O2 levels rise again (which takes several weeks). This is why CO is such a nasty gas. It's also why smokers have consistently lower O2 levels than non-smokers....CO is in cigarette and cigar smoke.

Recently, in Aspen, CO a whole family was killed by CO from a faulty heater. Revival attempts were futile due to the high levels of CO in their blood.

....so back to my question earlier: anyone try these CO detectors on the tailpipe of their car or the second hand smoke of a smoker?

Back