Run in with carbon monoxide.

That reinforced the CO dangers for me. Thanks for posting. Also, as DE727 said, please report what the problem was. Could a craked exhaust cause this? What would the most likely culprit be?

I will definitly keep you posted when I find out what the problem was. A crack would be my guess.

Is an incident like this something that should be reported to the NTSB? 830.5 says to report inability of any required flight crewmember to perform normal flight duties as a result of injury or illness. However, I guess you could say normal flight duties where not compromised since the aircraft landed safely. If anything maybe a NASA form wouldn't hurt either since there was priority given to land.

Hey - I don't usually necropost, but this thread was useful to all of us for the CO knowledge. My question is, what did they end up finding as the cause of the CO leak? Thanks.

has anyone ever tried to take one of the cheap patch-type detectors and just place it by the tailpipe of their car to see if it works? If so....what were the results?

I had a rather chilling thought as I read this - because I honestly don't know if any of the airplanes I fly even have them.

But it definitely makes me think I oughta invest in a portable one. Sporty's carries them.

never in my training did i fly a plane with one.

i am not worried about flying a plane without one.

keep your head on straight and listen to what your body tells you, dont just go plowing through the sky all willy-nilly.

keep your head on straight and listen to what your body tells you, dont just go plowing through the sky all willy-nilly.

CO poisoning will cause a type of hypoxia, and what symptom of hypoxia will cause you go just go plowing through the sky all willy-nilly? Euphoria maybe?

Get the CO detector, you may not realize you have CO issues till it is too late otherwise.

I feel dumber after reading that...

I feel dumber after reading that...

Wow, that's impressive...I too have never flown a plane with a detector. I think TX Aviator was saying, pay attention to what's going on in the plane and with your body, instead of flying around all "Willy-nilly" not paying attention to anything.

Wow, that's impressive...I too have never flown a plane with a detector. I think TX Aviator was saying, pay attention to what's going on in the plane and with your body, instead of flying around all "Willy-nilly" not paying attention to anything.

I think that is what he was saying as well and I like his posts. On this one I will have to disagree however. CO poisoning is sneaky and I think you can be perfectly self aware and still miss it. There were racing pilots in the 30's (and I can't think of anyone more in tune with the machine than a racing pilot) that succombed to CO while racing. I have also not ever fully trusted the heaters on airplanes...but that is more my own personal quirk. It would be interesting to hear from some of the more experienced people about how concerned we should be on this topic.

Yes definitly do, even if its not the battery powered type you could carry one around with you. We had the one with the orange circle.

Wow, I'm actually glad to know those things really do work. I've always glanced at them at the college I used to instruct at, but I never thought they really worked.

Good to hear you're okay. How long before your symptoms wore off (or are you still feeling ill)?

No need to impress, I just dont think carbon monoxide is an issue to push over as Tx Aviator did so. In most cases that I've heard of you dont realize the problem before its to late, no time to act "willy-nilly." Hckey2477 is living proof that theres really no reason to fly without a five doller Co2 detector from Sporty's. I apologize if I came off a little to sarcastic..

Hckey2477, Glad to hear your ok, did you guys have to go to the hospital to get checked out or anything?

No need to impress, I just dont think carbon monoxide is an issue to push over as Tx Aviator did so. In most cases that I've heard of you dont realize the problem before its to late, no time to act "willy-nilly." Hckey2477 is living proof that theres really no reason to fly without a five doller Co2 detector from Sporty's. I apologize if I came off a little to sarcastic..

Hckey2477, Glad to hear your ok, did you guys have to go to the hospital to get checked out or anything?
:yeahthat:

The school wanted us to go to urgent care, but after we got back to our home airport it had already been a couple of hours and we were feeling much better. Although, it wasn't until the next day that I felt %100.

Janitrol? Good lord I hate those things. Pain in the butt. Used to be the only way we could keep ours from popping the overheat breaker (located in the nose gear well in the Duchess) was to run it full blast or not at all. That is one area where the DA-42 wins-Coolant heat FTW.

Thats funny! Of the 7 BE-76's that I have flown, almost every one of them had the jheater deactivated. The only one that did have a working heater was the one I flew in Phoenix, AZ from May-October.:rolleyes:

Never fails!

A few questions about C02:
If you fly with the air vents open and having air flow through the cabin, will that stop the onset of the effects of C02?
If you open the windows if you suspect C02, does that clear the air and allow enough time to land?
I have heard your fingernails will turn blue, is this true?
Thanks!

A few questions about C02:
If you fly with the air vents open and having air flow through the cabin, will that stop the onset of the effects of C02?
If you open the windows if you suspect C02, does that clear the air and allow enough time to land?
I have heard your fingernails will turn blue, is this true?
Thanks!

1. It will definitly help, It will probably not take out all effects. It all depends on how much exposure, and how long.

2. Again, this will aid in clearing the carbon monoxide. But depends on how much and how long. It more than likely would buy you enough time. To be completely incapacitated it takes quite a bit.

3. I am pretty sure that Cyanosis (blueing of the finger nails and toes) is found in hypoxia not carbon monoxide poisoning. Although, If enough carbon monoxide is in the air you could get hypemic hypoxia. So in that case yes, your finger nails could turn blue.

Back