Regional Pilots - Would you do it again?

@LoadMasterC141 - By any chance did you sign up for the 'VetsInBlue' job fair at jetBlue? From one ex-LM to another, they hired me here with only one whopping hour of jet PIC and that is from flying a Citation in a check ride. Even if you didn't have a chance to sign up, see if you can throw your name on the waiting list and put in a app when the window opens in early March. My worst day on reserve at B6 was better and more financially rewarding than my best and most productive day at Mesa.

I have the same Stockholm Syndrome that we all do about our time 'paying my dues' - best people I ever flew with, worst pay, and awful company. Now that I've made it to the majors, and am about to embark on my 1st 121 upgrade, I am excited again about the challenges that come from this career.

I would do it again, in a heartbeat. If I could go back with a crystal ball, I would make all the right choices and just be further along the career path right now. And I would have bought A LOT of Apple and Google in the 90's.

I would absolutely do it again, despite the fact I am now (and will be for a while) a career FO. I was able to start at a regional at 23, escape the regional in 4.5 yrs, and at age 30 broke 100k for the first time in my life.

If I had started 3 or 4 years later, I probably wouldn't have started. I managed to get in and out of flight training before the price of gas and rentals shot through the roof. The concept of a "fuel surcharge" wasn't even a thing when I left my CFI gig for the regionals. Now, all things being equal, I probably would do the regional route again, basically because it prepares you for what the airline life is like. I can't TELL you the number of guys I run into at my current shop who complain about this and that and talk about how much better it is at other airlines. Kicker is the things they're complaining about happen at every other airline, too. IROPS, schedule changes, last minute cancellations, missed commutes. Guess what, genius? Delta pilots deal with all of that, too. Almost to a one of them this is their first airline, so they think the grass is greener elsewhere. The money and some of the benefits may be better, but the BS is the same.

I consider myself one of the majorly lucky ones in the industry. Got hired as a CFI BEFORE I finished my last checkride, instructed for a whopping 7 months before getting hired at a regional, upgraded in 2 years AND I made the networking connections at my regional to get my hired at my #1 choice for a major. Altogether, I spent just under 7 years at a regional. Yeah, things sucked while I was there with contract negotiations, mis-management, mergers, bankruptcy, displacements, being treated like less than human. But when I look back on it, I wouldn't be where I am now if I hadn't gone through all of that then.

I didn't have it as lucky as Kellwolf, but I am also one of the luckier ones. I love my job and I couldn't picture myself doing anything else. @kellwolf and I worked at the same regional, and as crappy as it was, I couldn't agree with him more. we upgraded quick and I barely sat reserve, built my T-pic and now working for an Major airline, based in a city where I live and grew up.

The worst part of this career is that it's a crap shoot. I still have a few friends at my former airline. Right seaters for 7+ years with no upgrade in sight, but another friend bailed for Silver, made CA and is now at JetBlue. And i am sure there are others who jumped to another regional and is sitting in the right seat forever there too. A very educated move one day, could turn out to be the biggest mistake the next.

Good luck to you. If you are a vet @ClearedForOption 'S suggestion seems excellent. And Thanks for your service. Go Air Force!;)

Thanks everyone for the advice so far. I think I was really playing the "I feel sorry for me" card. My wife straightened me out and my head is screwed back on again!

When I think back rationally to my old job, yeah I made infinitely more money, but I really did dislike the desk life. True there are hours of boredom at altitude, especially with a mute person sitting next you for the month, but it still beats the heck out of sitting in an office for me!

It has been a longer road than I thought but hopefully, good lord willing, things will materialize soon.

@ClearedForOption and @blee256 ,
jetBlue is my number one choice for employment; Laugh if you want, but even above the majors. I did indeed sign up for the Vets in Blue event and plan to apply as soon as the window opens next Monday.

I'd do it all again. No complaints. Even if I don't get hired at a legacy for another 8 years, I'll be able to retire at 65 VERY comfortably. Could retire before then if I wanted to. That's all this is, a means to an end. And I enjoy it.

The only thing I'd change: I'd make the lateral move sooner so I could have stayed senior to @Autothrust Blue, like I was at the last shop.
I'm sure that, given the oft-perverse nature of this industry, that might happen again someday. ;)

I really don't understand the slam click mentality. Yes you have been to X city 100 billion times but being able to go out on the town for at least one overnight is a perk IMO.

As an introvert I may be able to help with that. I don't mind social interaction, but I find it incredibly tiring. By the end of the long work day I'm absolutely spent.

I usually go do stuff, but of its with the crew its usually something short like a meal. Then I'm off exploring.

I didn't have it as lucky as Kellwolf, but I am also one of the luckier ones. I love my job and I couldn't picture myself doing anything else. @kellwolf and I worked at the same regional, and as crappy as it was, I couldn't agree with him more. we upgraded quick and I barely sat reserve, built my T-pic and now working for an Major airline, based in a city where I live and grew up.

The worst part of this career is that it's a crap shoot. I still have a few friends at my former airline. Right seaters for 7+ years with no upgrade in sight, but another friend bailed for Silver, made CA and is now at JetBlue. And i am sure there are others who jumped to another regional and is sitting in the right seat forever there too. A very educated move one day, could turn out to be the biggest mistake the next.

Good luck to you. If you are a vet @ClearedForOption 'S suggestion seems excellent. And Thanks for your service. Go Air Force!;)
There is not a little luck involved in this business, both in terms of operational safety, and in terms of how your career works out. The wrong man in the right place at the right time can make all the difference in the world...or something like that.

Barring meteoric careers, which are the overwhelming exception, slow and steady wins. And remember that an upgrade is an accident of seniority; you are no more or less worthy because of where you sit on the list than the next guy. The rush to sit on the left is a part of the problem with the regional airline industry, compensation-wise. We are our own worst enemy on this topic. Shucks, I took my own damn job, although I don't work here for the opportunity to upgrade--it was a quality of life thing. I have no idea how it's going to work out, but right now the paychecks are still coming (and...increasing in size, although some of that has to do with 99-hour lines, huzzah). I'm pretty sure @LoadMasterC141 and I used to work for the same shop. I think it's a utter damn shame (I'm not allowed to say what I really think in Derg's living room) what AMR/AAG have done to American Eagle/Envoy, but other than gritting my teeth I don't know what can productively be done about it.

Fly a good airplane, jump at an opportunity, stay sharp in the meantime. DON'T turn into one of the lifers on the left that you don't enjoy working with.

Thanks everyone for the advice so far. I think I was really playing the "I feel sorry for me" card. My wife straightened me out and my head is screwed back on again!

When I think back rationally to my old job, yeah I made infinitely more money, but I really did dislike the desk life. True there are hours of boredom at altitude, especially with a mute person sitting next you for the month, but it still beats the heck out of sitting in an office for me!

It has been a longer road than I thought but hopefully, good lord willing, things will materialize soon.

@ClearedForOption and @blee256 ,
jetBlue is my number one choice for employment; Laugh if you want, but even above the majors. I did indeed sign up for the Vets in Blue event and plan to apply as soon as the window opens next Monday.

I'm not married, but the comment I bolded is all I need to know, that you should definitely stick with it. Having your wife in your back court supporting you should make all the difference. I'm sure I dont need to tell you, but it looks like you got yourself a good woman.

Nothing funny at all about jetBlue being your number 1. I am not at a Legacy carrier, but I am very happy where I am. I know my QOL can't get better by leaving for another airline. I dont feel like chasing a pay check. So I don't mind staying put.

Doug and this message board preaches networking. Don't under estimate the value of it. I got my current job because I knew the right person. One suggestion I have is, to try and get on the recruiting team at your airline. Its a great opportunity to meet the recruiters (read gatekeepers) at the airlines you want to go to, including jetBlue.

Not a regional but nope. If I never flew I'd be making 100k by 26. Aviation was a good experience but it set me back 4 years. Some of my peers wouldn't do anything else but to me there is more to life than my job.

I would love to get a local flying gig later in life though.

There are a bunch of opportunities out there you just have to take advantage. PSA went from 350-ish pilots to around 2000 by what, 2017? TSA is growing by leaps and bounds. Compass, well that boat has sailed but had you acted this time last year you'd be fast approaching a CA slot.

I wouldn't for a second stay put if you are not held in place for whatever reason. Folks say lateral jumps are risky which is true, but I don't think we've ever seen anything like what has happened recently for 15 years or more.

While being a CA isn't the be all end all it at least gives you the ability to make decent money.

I came hauling ass back to a regional after seeing what a professional career would provide for me.

Would I do it again? I already did, and I'm happy about it.
Don't blame you especially if you don't have to kiss behinds again.

I came hauling ass back to a regional after seeing what a professional career would provide for me.

Would I do it again? I already did, and I'm happy about it.
You are a no good, dangerous hack. You're more of a hack than @dasleben. And yet somehow I would still buy the first round.

Don't blame you especially if you don't have to kiss behinds again.
I have kissed approximately zero asses to get where I am.

As they say hindsight is 20/20. Would I do it again? Sure, but I would likely make some different decisions.

Yeah, I can see this. I just had this conversation with my last CA. Delta for example has the pilots staying in different hotels than the FAs. As a result it only takes one person to slam click you and make your trip boring as hell.

I really don't understand the slam click mentality. Yes you have been to X city 100 billion times but being able to go out on the town for at least one overnight is a perk IMO.
I almost always go out if asked, but I completely understand if some crews want to slam click. I just spent 8 hours in a closet with you, I think it's okay if we separate for awhile.

Besides, I hate being associated with some cheap crewmembers who stiff the bartender/server. @ATN_Pilot

Last edited:
@LoadMasterC141
I career changed at 32 in 2005, leaving the military and had absolutely no clue (really clueless) about the aviation industry other than 5th year major FO (in 2003 terms) I would be back where I would be compensation-wise to what I made in the military, not knowing that people just didn't walk right in and get hired at those major airlines.

In hindsight (and although I am not a regional FO anymore), I would do it all over again. Although your career may not be heading where you want it to lead, being able to take away positives from what has happened along the way is key... Some of the career is timing and luck, and others is creating your own opportunities.

I was really lucky when I separated from the Navy and Mesa hired me right away. At the time I was really disappointed not getting assigned to a CRJ class and instead got assigned to a 1900 class, but in the end that was good luck - I ended up being the first one in my new hire class to upgrade and if I hadn't acquired the 1000 TPIC at Mesa before I lateral-moved from Mesa to Eagle, I don't think I'd be where I am today. I ended up being able to only hold AM or PM standby lines for my first 3 years at Eagle, but that was good luck too, because that meant I got to see my newborn kid every single day for the first 3 years of his life during my first 3 years at Eagle, only because I rarely flew as a DFW standby reserve at Eagle. It's just the way it worked out.

It is really unfortunate what is going on at Eagle and how it has spiraled downwards these past 3 years. With all the negative news that you get every week and worsening schedules, and impacts you feel as a result of Eagle's inefficient scheduling practices, it's really hard to maintain a positive attitude.

You have the benefit of perspective as you have an idea of what not working in an airline environment is like. The worst day at an airline is better that the best day at a non-airline job. There is absolutely no work responsibility when you're off the clock.

When I was doing interview prep, the prep person warned me about the "BRPS" Bitter Regional Pilot Syndrome - it comes out when interviewers ask questions like, "Tell me something you don't like about Eagle." It's really easy to dredge up all the stuff pilots complain about on EL, the internet message boards, etc. even when you're trying hard not to bash your own company. It just comes right out.

So although your career seemingly might not being heading where you want it at this moment in time, take stock in the positives that have happened so far and move on from there:
For me it was:
Mesa (05-07)- (work rules absolutely sucked) but the positives for me were - it was a small enough company that I got to know all the dispatchers/schedulers/maintenance/mechanics/station agents/station managers personally felt like a large extended family. Lot of flight time in a short amount of time. as PIC, I didn't know what I didn't know (until I went to Eagle) - I was fortunate that I didn't leave Mesa with a violation or accident - and I never really knew how close I was to one as several other pilots in my upgrade class weren't as lucky.
Eagle (07-13)- got to see my kid's first 3 years of daily life, when I finally held my first line in 2010, got out of the DFW-out and backs and ended up flying through the LAX/JFK/LGA/MIA/ORD systems seeing how things worked in airports in the rest of the country (that benefits me now as an Airbus FO) - worked with great crews pilots and flight attendants - my knowledge about how things work in the different airports I flew to with Eagle has come in handy at Spirit

Leading me to today, when I first started this career in 2004-5, I had wanted to end up working for Southwest. Am I there now, no.

From Eagle, I was again lucky I had a choice between US Airways and Spirit. I had seen a little about how Doug Parker treated regionals while working at Mesa during the Airways/America West merger, and I saw Eagle's last year prior to the AA/US merger, that led me to decide that I had no desire to work under Doug Parker at the combined AA/US even though it will probably cost me monetarily long term. You can see the pressure he is putting on the APA pilots now with their new JCBA. I liked the large extended family feeling at Mesa, so it became an easy decision between Airways and Spirit. If my only choice was US Airways, that was a no-brainer too, leave Eagle for US Airways in a heartbeat, I would have went. So for now, I am at Spirit, I bid reserve by choice because I live in base in DFW, and I choose not to fly if I don't have to. While shredding paperwork last week, I found my last LES before I separated, and I compared it to my 2nd year Spirit FO 72hr/month pay stub, just 100-200 dollars short of what I made before I left the military nothing that an OT trip can't cover- so it's taken me 11 years to make up compensation-wise as an airline pilot to what I had in the military. But nowadays I work a lot less for a little less pay I had in the military. It's definitely a lot more time at home compared to the military, maybe 1 or 2 1-day or 2-day trips a month for now. So it works for me.

So would I do this again? It's not the career path I had envisioned 11 years ago. But yes I would do it again, would I have changed anything? Nope probably not.

As much as I disliked about some things at Eagle, the things I miss about Eagle: (1) overnighting with the flight attendants (FAs have their own hotel at Spirit), (2) mobile CCI/mobile FOS - everything you wanted to know about the operation in the palm of your hand. At Spirit you know absolutely nothing other than your own schedule; and (3) the non-rev benefits - the non-rev benefits are almost non-existent at Spirit

I haven't quite hit my "Throw in towel" age just yet, but it is starting to approach...so - that said, yeah, I would still do it again. I've committed myself to taking the long view in regards to my career, even if I have to say "Seeeeeeeeeeeee Ya!" one last time on my 33rd birthday. I won't wax poetic, but the reality is that yes - as a career changer, I recognized early that if this career didn't go the direction I wanted it to go that I would need to be able to position myself in another industry or environment that would allow me to have the life I wanted for a fair amount of my professional life prior to retirement.

If you're contemplating throwing in the towel in the upper 40's/lower 50's age bracket, I would caution against it unless you have extremely marketable skills and education to back it up (which for the OP it would appear he does considering graduate level work and prior management/leadership experience). But, anyone else who hasn't practiced their back-up craft in a few decades may find it a bit more difficult to transition away from a flying job.

Anyway - I think what we see from a number of folks, and not necessarily directed at the OP, but a number of people are extremely impatient. This career was perceived to be something different in their minds before they entered it and now after a number of years of stagnation that are questioning their career choice. Yeah, I question it too...but while I've been questioning it I've remained active elsewhere in my professional life so as to not depend on my flying career for all of my professional satisfaction. Additionally, I knew this career may not evolve as I wanted it to - but that I would do everything in my power to make sure it evolved in a direction I helped steer it; ultimately with the knowledge that if I didn't accomplish certain career benchmarks that I would eject into one of three back-up careers.

Join in the industry if you want. Leave the industry if you want. Ultimately, do it for yourself.

Back