Regional Dxing: At what point do you cut your losses and switch careers?

I think you're looking at this the wrong way. Time spent at the regionals is not time wasted. There is a lot of seasoning and development that goes on there, particularly in those first 2 to 3 years. Personally I think that is the minimum time one should spend on the desk before moving on to anything, be it a promotion or a bigger carrier

I think it may be the 2 promotions in 3 years that is hurting you. Assuming those promotions came about 1 year apart, and further assuming that both those promotions took you off of the desk, then I submit to you that perhaps it's your LACK of experience that is hurting you. The first year is about learning the job and staying out of trouble. The next couple years is where the development occurs

That said, it seems to me that your star is rising at your current employer. That is not something to be taken lightly. It suggests you have a bright future at that company. Supervisor > Chief Dispatcher > Manager of Dispatch > Director of SOC? I don't know what your chain of command looks like, but it seems obvious that you are fast-tracking it. Manager is probably an upper 5 digit salary. Director is probably a 6 digit salary. And who knows where you can go from there?

One final thought: Taking an intermediate position does not empty the options box for the future. It's astonishing to me that you would pass on a job that doubles your current pay because you're holding out what you could (theoretically) be making at a major.

Food for thought. Best of luck to you!

To whom much is given, much is expected. If you have moved up quickly, the standard that will be set for you in an interview will be different than that of a dispatcher with one year experience. At regionals, we all know that promotions can be a case of massive attrition leaving few qualified candidates. In a major interview, they are going to try to see

While you can change yourself, changing how others perceive you is difficult. Even more so when they have moved on to the majors and do not interact with you regularly anymore. They only know the experience they had with you. Unless you slip through the cracks, they often will do all they can to stop you from getting hired.

If you have made enemies in your career, word spreads quick if you do get a major interview. If the hiring people do not know you, the enemies you made do and the hiring people will soon know all the reasons why you should never be hired.
100%. If one wants a career at a major from the time they’re hired, first and last impressions matter. Alternatively, if one learns they are perceived to be a d bag and changes to become someone that is looked forward to being worked with, that can also filter into new hires at a major, and when the, “did you work with this d bag?” Conversation comes it it can turn to, “oh yea he calmed down, pretty nice guy to work with now.” It will always be much harder to overcome a negative impression. Especially if you don’t know that there is one.

There is no nepotism problem, get that weak excuse out of your head. You're not acing the interview. At your age a job with a major is literally like hitting the lotto. It's a multi-million dollar package when you figure pay, non-rev, etc, etc.. Is your interview "presentation/preparation" of a multi-million dollar quality? Is your network multi-million dollar quality? Best interview advice I ever got was to video myself in a mock interview. Download 20 or so behavioral interview type questions and have a friend ask you questions, and video your answers with your phone. What you see may shock you. It almost always does. This costs nothing. Read every book on networking, listen to every podcast, take a course on how to interview, do a 360 analysis of your self (google it) and you will get that lotto ticket.

It really depends on how passionate you are......not many have a back up plan

For me my fall back is law enforcement - I have a POST 1 certification and work as a reserve officer on a few of my days off to stay current.

I could go back to full time anytime I want but this job is more fun then pulling over speeders....

I agree with it depending how passionate you are. There are some really good dispatchers that have been in the regionals their entire career. Getting to the majors is (as someone several post back described it) like winning the dispatch lottery. Some who work really hard at trying to get to the majors just never make it. Is your passion for aviation and dispatching or are you looking at the paycheck?

*credit to captain roger victor*

There is no nepotism problem, get that weak excuse out of your head. You're not acing the interview. At your age a job with a major is literally like hitting the lotto. It's a multi-million dollar package when you figure pay, non-rev, etc, etc.. Is your interview "presentation/preparation" of a multi-million dollar quality? Is your network multi-million dollar quality? Best interview advice I ever got was to video myself in a mock interview. Download 20 or so behavioral interview type questions and have a friend ask you questions, and video your answers with your phone. What you see may shock you. It almost always does. This costs nothing. Read every book on networking, listen to every podcast, take a course on how to interview, do a 360 analysis of your self (google it) and you will get that lotto ticket.
Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Sometimes its not what you're doing "wrong " but just something you're not "doing ". If what you have said and done before, to get an interview or have said during an interview, has not worked. you need to change and improve your approach. You're time will come. Many other people are on or have been in that same "boat" before. Also some people take other OCC/SOC Jobs and dx adjacent jobs before landing the dx job they want, like....crew scheduling, AC router, Dispatch support title or even Ramp agent. And somehow it has worked for them, God bless them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

I went to a cargo carrier after the regional experience. Yeah I know its not a major but I do get paid decently for what I do. Plus you don't have the headache of passenger carrying operations which is nice. I ended up liking what I do and don't plan on leaving it anytime soon.

Basically it comes down to persistence and patience. If you want to get into the major airlines then keep at it, make friends in high places and keep those fingers crossed.

I had the opportunity to participate in interviews for a recent opening we had, and it was quite the learning experience.

There were 4 candidates. One did very well on a written knowledge assessment, but did not display the personal qualities we were looking for. Another was just the opposite. A third did very well on both, but their personal affairs were not such that a position could be offered. The successful candidate was not the standout in any of these areas, but in the overall big picture "whole person" concept, was the right choice.

The OP said something that caught my attention: "I have done almost as much as I can so far to stick out... ." What this says to me is that he recognizes there is some area in which he could be doing more. So my question is; "Why haven't you?" A professional is always working to develop their weaknesses.

Nepotism/who you know may get you in the door for an interview, but it's not going to get you the job, except perhaps if all other things are equal. Being the sharpest dispatcher in the box is not going to get you the job if you're a tool. Neither is the company looking to hire an amiable dunce.

Hiring managers are not trying to find the perfect candidate per se. They're trying to find the perfect candidate for them and their operation.

I am curious as to what these "personal affairs" were.

Back