Stay internal or get regional experience?

Smellybones

Hello, I received my dispatch certificate back in 2021. I currently work for a major 121 in ground ops. I’ve had 3 attempts trying to get on internally with my carrier but no luck. Each time I have made more progress than before. The most recent attempt I was told my test scores were good but my hr interview was average. So should I just leave and get regional experience or just keep trying internally. Would love to hear feedback from you guys.
Thanks

Hello, I received my dispatch certificate back in 2021. I currently work for a major 121 in ground ops. I’ve had 3 attempts trying to get on internally with my carrier but no luck. Each time I have made more progress than before. The most recent attempt I was told my test scores were good but my hr interview was average. So should I just leave and get regional experience or just keep trying internally. Would love to hear feedback from you guys.
Thanks
I generally followed the path of least resistance when I was breaking into Dispatch. Moving isn't fun but getting some valuable experience at a regional is hard to replace. I remember those old regional days quite fondly with the exception of the pay of course.

Such a tough question. I left to get experience and it took over 10 years to get back. I don’t think I’d change my path if I could do it all over again, but that is a lot of potential company seniority and vacation that I lost.

Depends on what you want and are willing to do. I was in the same situation in 2021, and had the same question.

I’m wasn’t tied to the area or company I worked for, so I opted to move and work for a regional. It’s been rough at times, but getting the experience in has allowed me to apply anywhere. I value that flexibility more than I do staying at somewhere familiar.

Thanks
If the test scores are good but the interview went poorly, maybe practice interviews some more. That's always been my issue, I can crush the tests these airlines give but when it comes to talking and answering HR questions I get self conscious and give awkward answers (in my opinion) that don't go according to what I panned. It doesn't paint an accurate picture of who I am as a person or a dispatcher, but that's the game we have to play. There are books and youtube channels that do a good job of explaining how to practice, how to answer certain questions etc. If you go to a regional you will gain valuable dispatch experience which may help boost you up a little, but the HR interview will still be a hurdle to clear. Best of luck!

Depends on what you want and are willing to do. I was in the same situation in 2021, and had the same question.

I’m wasn’t tied to the area or company I worked for, so I opted to move and work for a regional. It’s been rough at times, but getting the experience in has allowed me to apply anywhere. I value that flexibility more than I do staying at somewhere familiar.
And I’m thinking that’s the biggest pro. Is being able to apply anywhere with the experience that I’ll gain instead of being tied to one company.

If the test scores are good but the interview went poorly, maybe practice interviews some more. That's always been my issue, I can crush the tests these airlines give but when it comes to talking and answering HR questions I get self conscious and give awkward answers (in my opinion) that don't go according to what I panned. It doesn't paint an accurate picture of who I am as a person or a dispatcher, but that's the game we have to play. There are books and youtube channels that do a good job of explaining how to practice, how to answer certain questions etc. If you go to a regional you will gain valuable dispatch experience which may help boost you up a little, but the HR interview will still be a hurdle to clear. Best of luck!
I think it’s the same with me. Just awkward when it comes to taking about myself

This question has been coming up more often recently. It's not a black and white topic honestly. Some things to consider:
-Are you happy with the airline you're at? How much seniority are you giving up?
-Do you truly want to leave in order to get experience?
-Would you be happy with working at a different LCC/major in a few years? It makes more sense to leave if you have a specific regional and/or future LCC/major you're interested in working for.

This question has been coming up more often recently. It's not a black and white topic honestly. Some things to consider:
-Are you happy with the airline you're at? How much seniority are you giving up?
-Do you truly want to leave in order to get experience?
-Would you be happy with working at a different LCC/major in a few years? It makes more sense to leave if you have a specific regional and/or future LCC/major you're interested in working for.
Can you help me understand the seniority part. From my understanding it’s a different contract from my department now. So as far as bidding and pay scale I’ll be starting from the beginning. At least that was my understanding of it.

Thanks
Dude, you're at a Major. Be a Major Dude. Stick. Any Major Dude will tell you. If you were asking, should I go be a poet instead of being a carbon dispatcher, my answer would be very different. However, in this economic model, forward is forward. Anything else is backward. Ask any dude who works 10 days a month and gets a ~$15k paycheck every two weeks... with benes! (And for what? As one recent poster stated, to "hold the stick like it was another guy's junk.") [Prophylactic caveat: He may have been joking. It was not entirely clear.]

Last edited:
Reactions: Kev
Dude, you're at a Major. Be a Major Dude. Stick. Any Major Dude will tell you. If you were asking, should I go be a poet instead of being a carbon dispatcher, my answer would be very different. However, in this economic model, forward is forward. Anything else is backward. Ask any dude who works 10 days a month and gets a ~$15k paycheck every two weeks... with benes! (And for what? As one recent poster stated, to "hold the stick like it was another guy's junk.") [Prophylactic caveat: He may have been joking. It was not entirely clear.]
I believe you read it that the OP is a pilot.

I believe you read it that the OP is a pilot.
See: "carbon dispatcher". That'll clarify it for you.

If you folks informing the vegetables sitting in many of the front seats of the airplanes you're dispatching aren't making at least a significant fraction of what those folks are making, you're doing it wrong. You took the same test. You should strike immediately. Trust me. Watch what happens.

In the immortal words of uncle Bob, "Stir it up!,"

Last edited:
I was exactly in your position. Took a few stabs to no avail....even making it to the final at least once. Then after the 3rd or 4th try, I bolted. Best decision I made and I wouldn't change how it all went down either. If you decide to leave and go get experience, that will be an eye opener to the DX team when you reapply the next time around as an external. To put in perspective, it took me 10 mos between leaving and then rejoining the company. Albeit short, but very valuable DX experience.

Can you help me understand the seniority part. From my understanding it’s a different contract from my department now. So as far as bidding and pay scale I’ll be starting from the beginning. At least that was my understanding of it.
At my major, and most airlines, company seniority and dispatch senior can be 2 separate dates for internal hires. The first will determine how much vacation you get per year, standby priority when traveling and other longevity benefits, while your dispatch seniority determines bid order for scheduling etc. In your example, your company seniority will be 2021, while your dispatch seniority will be 2023 meaning you get year 3 vacation time while getting year 1 pay

At my company you go to the bottom for shift bidding purposes. You'd be behind other internals with more seniority, and ahead of other internals with less seniority and/or those hired off the street (they'd have the start date as their hire date). You get to keep your original hire date for bidding vacation which is a difference maker if you were hired pre-COVID. You get to keep that date for pass travel, and amount of vacation annually per your hire date. If you go to a regional you'd be starting completely from scratch.

At my company you go to the bottom for shift bidding purposes. You'd be behind other internals with more seniority, and ahead of other internals with less seniority and/or those hired off the street (they'd have the start date as their hire date). You get to keep your original hire date for bidding vacation which is a difference maker if you were hired pre-COVID. You get to keep that date for pass travel, and amount of vacation annually per your hire date. If you go to a regional you'd be starting completely from scratch.
Okay that makes more sense. Thank you

I was exactly in your position. Took a few stabs to no avail....even making it to the final at least once. Then after the 3rd or 4th try, I bolted. Best decision I made and I wouldn't change how it all went down either. If you decide to leave and go get experience, that will be an eye opener to the DX team when you reapply the next time around as an external. To put in perspective, it took me 10 mos between leaving and then rejoining the company. Albeit short, but very valuable DX i
Thank you for the insight. I know ultimately it’s up to me. It seems more common than I thought. I just didn’t know if it was a bad decision. But from what I’m gathering either way it’s no real bad decision.

Back