Regional Dxing: At what point do you cut your losses and switch careers?

Wonderlic

Long time lurker, first time poster here.

My background - A little over 3 years Part 121 experience, degree in aviation, a couple of promotions at my current airline.

Lately I have been seriously considering my future in this industry. I have gotten a few face to face interviews with different majors but ultimately don't end up making the cut. I feel like I completely nail each interview but the offers ultimately end up going out to people with far more experience than me or to people with immediate family in management. On more than one occasion I have seen dispatchers with 1 year or less and no promotions make it to a major because they had such family connections. I have also seen a few very qualified and competent dispatchers move on with just a few friend connections which does give me a glimpse of hope.

I have done almost as much as I can so far to stick out at a major. Supervisor title, degree, etc. However, the nepotism in the industry just seems to prevelant to be able to count on this being a viable career option for my family. I passed on an opportunity a couple years ago that would have paid double than what I make at my regional now. The financial ceiling was much lower in that position than what it would be at a major so that's why I passed it up. But now I am wondering when it is time to call it quits and start really providing for my family. I'm still young (not yet 30) so I have time to wait it out a little longer. I just don't know if it's worth waiting it out looking at the current career outlook for external regional dxers.

Just curious to read some of your thoughts.

My background - A little over 3 years Part 121 experience, degree in aviation, a couple of promotions at my current airline.

Lately I have been seriously considering my future in this industry. I have gotten a few face to face interviews with different majors but ultimately don't end up making the cut. I feel like I completely nail each interview but the offers ultimately end up going out to people with far more experience than me or to people with immediate family in management. On more than one occasion I have seen dispatchers with 1 year or less and no promotions make it to a major because they had such family connections. I have also seen a few very qualified and competent dispatchers move on with just a few friend connections which does give me a glimpse of hope.

I have done almost as much as I can so far to stick out at a major. Supervisor title, degree, etc. However, the nepotism in the industry just seems to prevelant to be able to count on this being a viable career option for my family. I passed on an opportunity a couple years ago that would have paid double than what I make at my regional now. The financial ceiling was much lower in that position than what it would be at a major so that's why I passed it up. But now I am wondering when it is time to call it quits and start really providing for my family. I'm still young (not yet 30) so I have time to wait it out a little longer. I just don't know if it's worth waiting it out looking at the current career outlook for external regional dxers.

Hang in there. You'll be just fine by the fact that you have gotten face to face interviews with majors. That's a good sign in my opinion as they felt you caught their attention enough to invite in.

Two...you're not 30 yet. You have ALOT of time a great chance of getting the call.

Three...you have a degree. It may not feel like it,but it'll happen soon.

I know how you feel. I'm 42. I left a major after 10+ years to get regional experience. Had a hiccup with personal medical issues slow that down and some college credits, but no degree. Now when it comes to age..i feel like I'm on a clock and I need to gets lots of ducks in a row soon. My hope is to get back on track health wise. Get my bachelors and continue on what I set out to do when I got the license.

Yes..... I often go through many 'what is ? '

'What if I hadn't left. ?' , 'What if I tried the internal route. ?' That will only drive you crazy. You made made past decisions based on what you thought to be right at that moment. Leave the past in the past.

My best advice is do what is best for you and your family. Ask other dispatchers who may have made it to majors what you need to get you over the hump.

I'm sure there may be other dispatchers in the same situation, have gone through or understand. Some on the board have gotten the call right when they thought it wouldnt happen.

It's like guys playing sports. Some make the roster right away and others toil in minors, but they get the call.

I've always pictured myself doing things and eventually I did it. When I was on the ramp I pictured myself being a dispatcher. I picture myself at a major. I picture myself getting a degree. That thought process has always helped keep me going.

In my opinion you sound like it's just a matter of when and frankly you sound pretty close.

Wasnt going for a Knute Rockne speech, but that's my 2cents if it's worth anything from someone else perspective.....

I got hired at a major when my age was well (and I mean well) above 40, but young enough where I can give them at least 15 years of employment.

If your final goal is to work for a major, then your options are keep applying or get hired in another position at the company you want to work for and go the internal route.

Are you a trainer? If not - it might add another aspect that some may consider favorable.

The biggest question that you will need to answer is what do you see yourself doing and where do you see yourself doing it 10, 20 or 30+ years later.
As life changes , the answers to those questions will change as well.

As someone who just started at a regional I see the same thing from people who have the experience, have the degree, but still don't make the move up and it does worry me a little to be honest. Just curious, what regional are you at and does it really matter what regional you go to? I thought a wholly owned would help my chances, but now I'm starting to think otherwise...

Well for one thing, it is no secret that this career path has gotten impacted. Anyone here knows that for every job listing at a major, they get 300-400 resumes per spot. Many job seekers see/saw dispatching as having a low barrier to entry and a quick rise to the majors.
I blame lots of that on this forum. Sorry but in my opinion that are waaaay too many Pollyannas on this forum. To be fair, I have also seen some folks shoot to the top in no time! And that was for any number of special reasons.
But you are still young and after a few interviews the search can become disheartening and the sting of the TBNT letters is no fun. And with 15$/hr, well, that just makes it tougher. So there is still some time for you. I agree, it does help to know someone, anyone on the inside. When I interviewed at WN a few yrs back, the FIRST thing they asked me after we all sat down, was "Okay, Who do you know in our NOC?" At the time , zero, so Im pretty sure that was the end of that.
As for other career paths, there are many! Look at Airport ops! Lots of cool jobs working for the County or Port Authority that runs the airport. And those jobs pay very well. Also, FAA Flight Data hires dispatchers. You do not need ATC training and depending on the Center, the starting pay is very high. Lastly, look internally at your regional (or any other carrier). There are many other airline corporate jobs that pay well, and offer a better QOL.
I currently dispatch boxes and other "stuff" all over the world, from the Northern tip of Greenland to crazy islands in the South Pacific and I love it!!! Its super interesting everyday and I make the same as entry level AA, but no union and only slight wage growth. The one thing I do miss are the flight benefits. At my regional gig, we had full on flight benefits for 3 majors and CASS. So keep all that in mind too. I do miss hoping over the pond on a 3 day to Gaye Paris. Sweet sweet baguette! Just remember, the train WILL eventually leave the station. (okay all you haters get in here!!!!)

Well for one thing, it is no secret that this career path has gotten impacted. Anyone here knows that for every job listing at a major, they get 300-400 resumes per spot. Many job seekers see/saw dispatching as having a low barrier to entry and a quick rise to the majors.
I blame lots of that on this forum. Sorry but in my opinion that are waaaay too many Pollyannas on this forum. To be fair, I have also seen some folks shoot to the top in no time! And that was for any number of special reasons.
But you are still young and after a few interviews the search can become disheartening and the sting of the TBNT letters is no fun. And with 15$/hr, well, that just makes it tougher. So there is still some time for you. I agree, it does help to know someone, anyone on the inside. When I interviewed at WN a few yrs back, the FIRST thing they asked me after we all sat down, was "Okay, Who do you know in our NOC?" At the time , zero, so Im pretty sure that was the end of that.
As for other career paths, there are many! Look at Airport ops! Lots of cool jobs working for the County or Port Authority that runs the airport. And those jobs pay very well. Also, FAA Flight Data hires dispatchers. You do not need ATC training and depending on the Center, the starting pay is very high. Lastly, look internally at your regional (or any other carrier). There are many other airline corporate jobs that pay well, and offer a better QOL.
I currently dispatch boxes and other "stuff" all over the world, from the Northern tip of Greenland to crazy islands in the South Pacific and I love it!!! Its super interesting everyday and I make the same as entry level AA, but no union and only slight wage growth. The one thing I do miss are the flight benefits. At my regional gig, we had full on flight benefits for 3 majors and CASS. So keep all that in mind too. I do miss hoping over the pond on a 3 day to Gaye Paris. Sweet sweet baguette! Just remember, the train WILL eventually leave the station. (okay all you haters get in here!!!!)

Not debating you but I’ve come across a few flight data job postings and I could have sworn it was almost as bad as regional pay. Low-mid 40s if I remember right.

I'm in a fairly similar situation myself and have been asking the same question. 4 years in with 3 different airlines (both by my choice and not). It almost feels like your 20s are wasted just living paycheck to paycheck and having to scrape a few days of OT together to have money to actually use those flight benefits. I've been applying too positions outside of airlines that I think are interesting and I'm kind of just seeing where that will take me. I figure my best shot at a major will be this summer due to certain factors looking up, but if it doesn't come through I may just leave the airlines altogether. It's easy for the people who have made it to look back and say "your time will come" and "we all had to wait a bit," but a lot of those people got in before there was an abundance of dispatchers, pay stagnated, and the cost of education skyrocketed. It's going to take a lot of soul searching this next year to see if it all still feels worth it.

I'd give it more time if it were me, personally.. you're still young, you've got a degree, and a solid background.. that's a good start.

If you time it right, going internal with a major in an unrelated position may work out.. or you may be doing something you don't enjoy for a while.

I was on the verge of leaving the profession myself...when, after 10 plus years at three different regionals and one startup that ended up going out of business, I got "the call" from a major. Keep applying, keep networking, keep tweaking your resume and practicing your interviewing skills. And definitely don't be afraid to "move up" to a carrier like Spirit/Frontier/Allegiant. The experience looks great when trying to stand out from the crowd when applying with majors...and even if you don't get hired by a major, your top-out pay will be more than double what you'd ever make at a regional.

Are you doing all you can with your resume? Have you had someone help you polish your interview skills? Have you built a network of people throughout the industry? I wouldn’t give up yet. It took me 7 years before I got the call to my airline of choice, and before that I didn’t exactly put the maximum effort in to getting hired. Waiting around watching many around you getting hired is really tough, but work hard to sell yourself to them and eventually the call will come.

Hang in there

I am off two different minds on this. On the one hand, hiring preferences can change quickly. On the other hand, the dispatch career has changed so much in the past decade that it probably will always be hard to get in to the majors unless you are friends, family, internal or really stand out from the pack.

My advice is to go to ADF events and make yourself one of the friends that get hired. Stay in touch with the dispatchers you supervise if they move on to a major before you do. Make sure you have a good reputation among the dispatchers you supervise. If they don't like you, they wont want to work with you at a major and might sabotage your chances at making it to one. If you are in a supervisory role, consider moving into an area of management that works with the major airline ops center that your regional contracts with.

Just wanted to add this to my prior post...I am currently on my annual jumpseat trip, which this year is in the Latin America region. This year I picked the Dominican Republic. The crew hotel, which per our contract is the one we stay it, is pretty awesome and all inclusive. They give us three days for a Caribbean trip, so I have all day tomorrow to hang out at the beach and drink pina coladas. While my personal love life currently is "vacant" so I am here by myself...there were a few empty seats, so if I was dating anyone, they could have tagged along and hung out with me tomorrow, for free. When you are questioning whether to leave the industry or not while slaving away in the regional world (and I was there for many years myself), I would just like to share this photo taken from the balcony of my room this afternoon, to show you what you might one day get as a "work perk" if you hang in there and get hired by a major. (Apologies for the cloudy conditions, it's supposed to be sunny tomorrow.) I am not saying it's easy to do that...Lord knows it took me a few years to get an offer...but I do think this is a good example of "Hang in there, it's worth it."

I concur with what Manniax stated. It is a nice perk
I did mine to AKL, (Auckland, New Zealand) 170 open seats going down and 70 seats coming back - took my significant other.
Company gives us 5 days for a Pacific trip, so had 2.5 days in AKL.

I agree, the perks of getting on a major are fantastic, but the thing is how long can you actually keep trying to tread water before you get there. I, personally, have just been in the black/minor red every month due to the pay at regionals coupled with cost of living in the cities where the regionals are and having to pay a good 1/4 of my salary to student loans on my aviation degree. Luckily, my car is paid off so i don't have a car payment. If it ever was totaled, I would probably have to pick up a part time job somewhere just to have transportation making me work 70+ hours a week. When I started, I gave myself a soft time limit before I start seriously considering other professions. It is VERY easy to just keep chugging along hoping for that position at the Major and all of a sudden you are a lifer at a regional airline. So while yes, keep plugging away and going for that major spot, but if you feel like it is starting to drag on, apply at places you think are interesting and you may be offered a job that you can't refuse.

I agree, the perks of getting on a major are fantastic, but the thing is how long can you actually keep trying to tread water before you get there. I, personally, have just been in the black/minor red every month due to the pay at regionals coupled with cost of living in the cities where the regionals are and having to pay a good 1/4 of my salary to student loans on my aviation degree. Luckily, my car is paid off so i don't have a car payment. If it ever was totaled, I would probably have to pick up a part time job somewhere just to have transportation making me work 70+ hours a week. When I started, I gave myself a soft time limit before I start seriously considering other professions. It is VERY easy to just keep chugging along hoping for that position at the Major and all of a sudden you are a lifer at a regional airline. So while yes, keep plugging away and going for that major spot, but if you feel like it is starting to drag on, apply at places you think are interesting and you may be offered a job that you can't refuse.
There are a lot of jobs between the regional level and the legacy majors that can provide for a solid standard of living. I think too many dispatchers overlook Spirit, Frontier and some of the cargo carriers out there. They have the potential to be a final career job if you want them to be or at the worst a much better place to wait out your time while waiting for your dream job.

A couple of suggestions for guys that are stuck,
Are you networking? If you just go to work and go home and don’t get your name out there then you’re not playing the game. It takes some social awareness to realize most people in this industry are pretty nice and willing to help as long as you’re not 1. A d bag. 2. Perceived to be a d bag even though being a d bag is not your intention. Social awareness is probably 3rd to 1. Who you know/related to and 2. Experience. Anyone can get on a major, and just as easily ruin there chances to ever make it. Sometimes a little introspection can go a long way, and there’s hope because if you are being a d bag intentionally or not you can change that. It just might take a little time for prior d bagness to wear off and start fresh.

Also you could try ask someone that’s where you want to be to adopt you. Nepotism is strong some places.

It really is about the connections you make at the regional level. You can be the best dispatcher in the world, but if the people who have moved on to majors ahead of you aren't a fan, you're gonna have a bad time. Other than that, hang in there. Yeah some people seem to have the fast track or hit the jackpot. But, the vast majority of us had to pay our dues for 5-7+ years or more before the call finally comes. You're up against hundreds of people for often less than 10 spots at the majors. The best thing you can do in the meantime is continue to make yourself stand out from the competition. That means both job titles and checking the, "Is this the kind of guy I want to work with for the next 30+ years?"box.

A couple of suggestions for guys that are stuck,
Are you networking? If you just go to work and go home and don’t get your name out there then you’re not playing the game. It takes some social awareness to realize most people in this industry are pretty nice and willing to help as long as you’re not 1. A d bag. 2. Perceived to be a d bag even though being a d bag is not your intention. Social awareness is probably 3rd to 1. Who you know/related to and 2. Experience. Anyone can get on a major, and just as easily ruin there chances to ever make it. Sometimes a little introspection can go a long way, and there’s hope because if you are being a d bag intentionally or not you can change that. It just might take a little time for prior d bagness to wear off and start fresh.

Also you could try ask someone that’s where you want to be to adopt you. Nepotism is strong some places.

While you can change yourself, changing how others perceive you is difficult. Even more so when they have moved on to the majors and do not interact with you regularly anymore. They only know the experience they had with you. Unless you slip through the cracks, they often will do all they can to stop you from getting hired.

If you have made enemies in your career, word spreads quick if you do get a major interview. If the hiring people do not know you, the enemies you made do and the hiring people will soon know all the reasons why you should never be hired.

Back