Question on making the 135>121 jump

Gear_Swing1122

Not a regular poster, but I have come to a point where I am finally seriously considering jumping from 135 to 121. I have been resistant in the past because quite frankly I’m not sure how to proceed with my situation. When interviewing for my first post CFI 135 job in summer 2014 I had a bag stolen in DFW on my way home. The bag had my logbook in it (at the time I only had a physical logbook). I have no records outside of my 8710s etc previous to starting in 135. (I do have my FAA records in paper form) I have really never run into anyone in that sort of situation. At the time I never thought I’d head to the airlines, so I never did much research on the topic. To sum up my post, I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar situation, or guys who are 121 could shed some light as to how airlines would look at this. I know logbook review is a much bigger deal when interviewing in the 121 world.

Thanks much!

I actually don't think this will be a significant problem, as long as you have some way of showing that you meet the minimum flight times.

Do you have your ATP yet, or just a Commercial Multi? I showed up at my interview at Horizon with an ATP and all four of my logbooks. In addition to my flight experience and endorsements, my logbooks also contain photographs, business cards, an event list for Sun 'n Fun, takeout menus, and other memorabilia. Not one of the people I met checked my flight times, but they were fascinated by the photos ("izzat a Cessna 195?"). I was a little surprised by this, but it just goes to show that some people are still airplane nuts even after they hit the Part 121 world.

If you already have an ATP, it's likely that no one will much care about your logbooks - you already have the flight time you need to work at a regional.

I found the Part 135 to Part 121 transition to be pretty easy. Learning a new (and large) airplane was a challenge and took a few months. IOE (Initial Operating Experience) was a snap. It was EXACTLY what I'd been doing in my Part 135 job: Fly A to B on an IFR flight plan and deal with weather and other operational issues. You'll have to learn the airplane and possibly a new area/route system, but your previous Part 135 experience will be very helpful.

Thanks for the replies, I feel like the hiring environment is a lot less worried about things like that now as well. That is of course, you can provide honest explanation and proof of said gaps. I have had my ATP since 2015, and am currently 2000ish hours into being a captain/PIC on a 36000 lb multi engine jet. 6500ish TT. I feel like to the best of my abilities I fit the bill. Anyways, any more insight from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

I’m coming out of the woodwork here to say there’s some misleading advice in this thread. Not having your original logbook isn’t the end of the world, as long as you have official documentation from the FAA, and then current logbooks since then.

BUT, multiple legacies lately have been sending folks home from the interview for not having any official documentation to back up missing logbooks. So it is something to take seriously and make sure everything’s in order.

I have a current logbook since then, which I am almost done converting to digital so it is as neat and perfect as possible. I do have official FAA documents to back it up with, which are my 8710 forms from my FAA file.

@Gear_Swing1122

This just happened to run across my newsfeed:
63436A6D-D38B-4AFD-9E59-101B10E2FB3B.jpeg

Thanks for that @CFI A&P That is really as definitive as you can get from Delta themselves. At least I know it happens, and they are willing to accept it with reasonable explanation, etc.

Recreate it from the 8710 and leave a note in your logbook. You’ll be fine. Maybe include the previous 8710s. This is pretty common.

I knew a student who recreated a logbook with any records he could find and had it notarized. Not sure if that’s common practice.

So I interviewed at American last week. Two people were asked to explain stolen logbook’s to the people reviewing them… included my me. I told them I reconstructed that flight time based on 8710s and training records. They told me that’s exactly what they wanted to hear. The other guy actually brought the 8710s with him. I did not. We both got a CJO.

no it won’t be a problem.

yes, this may be a bit of a humble brag. Lol.

good luck dude, and don’t sweat it.

So I interviewed at American last week. Two people were asked to explain stolen logbook’s to the people reviewing them… included my me. I told them I reconstructed that flight time based on 8710s and training records. They told me that’s exactly what they wanted to hear. The other guy actually brought the 8710s with him. I did not. We both got a CJO.

no it won’t be a problem.

yes, this may be a bit of a humble brag. Lol.

good luck dude, and don’t sweat it.
Y u no Sprontierit?

Y u no Sprontierit?
Lol. It’s all about d-dub. If either one of those companies seemed to give at least half a crap about a dfw base it would be a tougher decision. Also uniforms. Our uniform provider is awful. The pants are clearly designed by someone that has had pants described to them, but never seen them personally. Also AA has a cool pilot shop RIGHT IN THE TRAING CENTER!

Lol. It’s all about d-dub. If either one of those companies seemed to give at least half a crap about a dfw base it would be a tougher decision. Also uniforms. Our uniform provider is awful. The pants are clearly designed by someone that has had pants described to them, but never seen them personally. Also AA has a cool pilot shop RIGHT IN THE TRAING CENTER!

All they care about is $$. But that's not exclusive. Congrats on the upgrade.

Back