Post First Solo Hangover

mr1984

Hey fellow CFIs,

I recently stepped back into instructing part-time, I picked up a position at a local school and was given a few students to work with. One of these students while younger is a great student and extremely driven, but I've run into a snag with this student that I've never experienced before. They soloed a few weeks ago and quite honestly was one of the only solos as a CFI where I've had zero concerns or reservations about their judgement or ability. However, the next flight we planned as another supervised solo and the wheels fell off, all of a sudden they can't land on the center line, can't judge round out height and they keep trying to slow to final approach speed on base (what ???).

I went back to the basics on the last lesson (hitting marks in the pattern) but they just don't seem to be responding to my input and I can see the frustration building.

At this point, I'm just looking for any input you might have as fellow CFIs; I love helping students achieve their goals and dreams but I feel like I'm failing here. I would like to get to the root cause which I suspect is "I soloed so now I'm good" but beyond that, has anyone ever experienced this with their own students?

Last edited:
Back