Possible airport job?

future pilot

Well guys i have another question for you. As some of you know i want to be a pilot when i get older. But for now im in need of a job. I am hoping that maby there is an opening at a local airport for someone to possibly clean the planes or really anything that has to do with airplanes. As long as i am around them so that i can learn more about them that is fine. I live in Saint Peters Missouri. any airport in the Saint louis area would be fine... well any airport within about 20 miles would be fine. I am in high school right now i do have my license so getting around would not be a problem. if you know of any jobs please tell me Either E-mail me at jeremyjking93@yahoo.com or just reply on this thread thank you!

Here's how I would go about this:

1. Go to airnav.com and find some airports in your area.
2. Visit their specific pages, and see what FBOs and flight schools are there. Hell, even avionics shops.
3. See if they have a website. If they do, try to find a place where you can apply. If they don't have a website or place to apply, call them or show up in person with a resume explaining what your intentions are.

Here's how I would go about this:

1. Go to airnav.com and find some airports in your area.
2. Visit their specific pages, and see what FBOs and flight schools are there. Hell, even avionics shops.
3. See if they have a website. If they do, try to find a place where you can apply. If they don't have a website or place to apply, call them or show up in person with a resume explaining what your intentions are.
That's exactly what I did one summer. It ended up being a really interesting and educational time, I worked on L-39 jets for a summer.
N439NA-10oclock-c.jpg

St. Louis Downtown has Ideal Aviation and Jet Aviation

Spirit of St. Louis has Executive Beechcraft, Tac Air, Midwest Aviation and Million Air.

You could also try St. Louis Regional in Alton, IL

I'm sure one of those places needs someone to fuel planes or something.

thanks you guys how would i go about contacting the airport about a job though?
If your walking in, make yourself look presentable. A polo and khakis would be fine here. Walk up to the desk and ask to speak to the manager or person in charge of hiring. When the manager walks out, shake their hand (firm, not like a dead fish), look them in the eye and introduce yourself. Explain what your intentions are (you are into aviation, and were wondering if they have any current openings). If they do, ask for the application, fill it out and leave it with them (and ask when you can expect to hear from them. Even if they don't have any openings, ask for an application to fill out so that they have something on file. Before you leave, ask for the manager's business card, shake his hand again and thank him for his time.

If it's over the phone, do the same thing (except without the handshakes obviously). When it comes to applications, ask if you should fill one out online or go in and fill one out.

If your walking in, make yourself look presentable. A polo and khakis would be fine here. Walk up to the desk and ask to speak to the manager or person in charge of hiring. When the manager walks out, shake their hand (firm, not like a dead fish), look them in the eye and introduce yourself. Explain what your intentions are (you are into aviation, and were wondering if they have any current openings). If they do, ask for the application, fill it out and leave it with them (and ask when you can expect to hear from them. Even if they don't have any openings, ask for an application to fill out so that they have something on file. Before you leave, ask for the manager's business card, shake his hand again and thank him for his time.

If it's over the phone, do the same thing (except without the handshakes obviously). When it comes to applications, ask if you should fill one out online or go in and fill one out.

and this guy is just barely 18 :nana2:

That's exactly what I did one summer. It ended up being a really interesting and educational time, I worked on L-39 jets for a summer.
N439NA-10oclock-c.jpg

Did you work at the FBO that this was taken at?

That is North American at RFD is an L-39 training/mx center, and they always have 7 or 8 of them hanging out on the ramp or in the hanger. They also have an application from me on hand. :buck:

Did you work at the FBO that this was taken at?

That is North American at RFD is an L-39 training/mx center, and they always have 7 or 8 of them hanging out on the ramp or in the hanger. They also have an application from me on hand. :buck:
Yup, I sure did. I worked as a hangar monkey for about 3.5 months back in 2006. It was an interesting time to say the least. The shop manager at the time, Nathan, the chief mech., Bruce, and a bunch of the other floor guys were great to work with. The owner, John...well, he was interesting. PM me if you want more details.

Well guys i have another question for you. As some of you know i want to be a pilot when i get older. But for now im in need of a job. I am hoping that maby there is an opening at a local airport for someone to possibly clean the planes or really anything that has to do with airplanes. As long as i am around them so that i can learn more about them that is fine. I live in Saint Peters Missouri. any airport in the Saint louis area would be fine... well any airport within about 20 miles would be fine. I am in high school right now i do have my license so getting around would not be a problem. if you know of any jobs please tell me Either E-mail me at jeremyjking93@yahoo.com or just reply on this thread thank you!
Are you 18 yet? If you're not, I wouldn't tell you to forget it, but I'd say your odds are significantly less. Working for an FBO tends to mean working with equipment and that tends to cause an insurance issue unless you're over 18. If you're under 18, you should still look into it, but don't be surprised if most of the doors get slammed in your face. That's just how it is unfortunately.

But when you go, pay careful attention to what this guy said.

That is some grade A advice right there no matter what job you're looking for. In your case however I would amend a few things. I'd say skip the phone call and show up in person. You're looking for any job you can get with an FBO or avionics/MX shop, even if they're not currently looking for anyone. Showing up in person makes a much bigger impression than simply calling on the phone. Especially when you show up dressed as mavsfan suggests, khakis, a polo or button up and some nice shoes (no shorts, no t-shirts, no jeans and no sneakers).

If you have no previous work experience, a resume might be difficult to pull off, but I would suggest that you try and have one available when you show up anyway. And here's a life tip for you. Don't bother to produce a resume unless it would earn you an A+ if it were to be graded on formatting, grammar, and to a lessor extent in your case, content. This sounds hard, but it really isn't and it'll be good practice for later in life. Get yourself a good resume book and follow all the rules for formatting. Don't forget to print it using 'resume' paper and a matching envelope. That stuff matters believe it or not. Get someone who has good resume experience (parent or trusted teacher) to help you with the content.

When you show up for the intitial contact, be dressed, have a resume ready, give a firm hand shake, make good eye contact and have your own pen with you. I know that all of it sounds silly. But it's worth doing because it could mean the difference between getting hired and getting blown off. Good luck, and let us know how you make out.

Years ago, I was sitting in Cici's pizza eating lunch and someone called up to the place and inquired about a job. I guess the manager was already annoyed with things that day, but after she was done she angrily hung up the phone and says (out loud), "like I would actually hire someone that CALLS on the phone, ANYWAY!"

That little incident has stuck with me ever since. Unless the website specifically says you need to do it online or something (like my current job with American), I ALWAYS show up to the place in person.

N439NA-10oclock-c.jpg

One of my friends owns one of those!

Years ago, I was sitting in Cici's pizza eating lunch and someone called up to the place and inquired about a job. I guess the manager was already annoyed with things that day, but after she was done she angrily hung up the phone and says (out loud), "like I would actually hire someone that CALLS on the phone, ANYWAY!"

That little incident has stuck with me ever since. Unless the website specifically says you need to do it online or something (like my current job with American), I ALWAYS show up to the place in person.
Oh yeah, I agree. By showing up in person, you show that you really do care about getting the job.

future pilot- Even if you do apply online, walk in and ask for an interview. I've never been called for an interview by just applying online, I've always had to go into the store myself and ask to sit down with them and discuss why I'm a good candidate.

Every job I have ever gotten except one was done by going in person. Sometimes I went so many times that the only way they could get rid of me was to hire me!

Are you 18 yet? If you're not, I wouldn't tell you to forget it, but I'd say your odds are significantly less. Working for an FBO tends to mean working with equipment and that tends to cause an insurance issue unless you're over 18. If you're under 18, you should still look into it, but don't be surprised if most of the doors get slammed in your face. That's just how it is unfortunately.

Well that is the problem i am not 18 yet but someone just E-mailed me. He grew up around my area too. Anyway he said that he would see if he could talk to some of his friends (he used to work at Spirit of saint louis. wich is an airport around here) so hopefully that will be on my side. Since i am under 18 what do you think that i could do to gain some points towards getting this job?

Your next best bet would probably be an FBO at a smaller airport with a flight school.

As for call vs. walk in, I do both. Call first and see if you can stop by and drop off a resume or fill out an application. You have to force it kind of, usually the manager is pretty cool about it. If hes not he will tell you.

Not being 18 sucks for trying to get a line service. I had an offer to start then the manager found out I was not 18 and we both couldn't do anything about it. Now I am and the economy has affected hiring so I am sol for now.

As always, keep at it and don't get discouraged.

Well that is the problem i am not 18 yet but someone just E-mailed me. He grew up around my area too. Anyway he said that he would see if he could talk to some of his friends (he used to work at Spirit of saint louis. wich is an airport around here) so hopefully that will be on my side. Since i am under 18 what do you think that i could do to gain some points towards getting this job?
If their insurance company or the airport authority says you have to be 18 to work on the ramp or touch a fuel truck, or whatever, then there's not much you'll be able to do about it. Depending on the FBO, you might be able to start out by working behind the counter and then move out to the ramp once you hit 18.

It wouldn't hurt to try even if they can't hire you just yet. If nothing else you'll be able to meet the folks in charge and let them know that you're interested in working for them which might help to show them that you're serious when you go back once you're 18.

Back