Passenger wants to know if you're sober.

As enjoyable as it would be to point out the jackass passenger, I would avoid specifics in case a lynch mob did form. You don't want that liability.

My favorite quote of the morning was "I'll give you a reason to have that handicapped tag in your car!"

Just because someone leaned out their window to ask if there were any suitcases in front of his SUV before he drove off.

"Maximum speed for minimum penetration!" We got him worked up talking about de icing the other day.

My favorite quote of the morning was "I'll give you a reason to have that handicapped tag in your car!"

Just because someone leaned out their window to ask if there were any suitcases in front of his SUV before he drove off.

Whoah whoah whoah.

He said that to a passenger?

Just like when the situation went down with the ASA pilot on a Delta jet. The general public read "A Delta pilot did WOT on a Delta jet?"

They don't care if it's Skywest, ASA, Chicken Taco, Pinnacle, SureJet, blah blah blah.

Like when the cable guy comes to your house, all you know is that "Cox Cable" tracked mud through your house, not "Jims Cable Subcontractor and Feed 'n Seed" wrecked your travertine.

Reactions: JEP
The worst part is that the person only knows, "I bought a ticket on XXX and the pilot was a jackass".

Agree on all points, but I think the worst part is that someone like that is put in charge of anything more than a taco stand.

Agree on all points, but I think the worst part is that someone like that is put in charge of anything more than a taco stand.

An attitude like that wouldn't even sell tacos.

If Chipotle had an employee like that, they wouldn't have him serving $6 burritos. Why they enable people like that to fly a $10,000,000 airplane is beyond me.

The worst part is that the person only knows, "I bought a ticket on XXX and the pilot was a jackass".
Perception is reality, and if your name is on the side of the plane, you're going to be responsible for whatever happens. You can't trust someone else with your name and then not be ready to suffer the consequences when they mess up.

Flow through is the only solution to many of our problems. Those opposed are either not thinking clearly, or have too big of an ego about their vaunted mainline hiring process.
Historically, it's been the solution for a select few before the door slams shut again. It also removes the ability for good, motivated people to move up, and replaces them with a wide range of pilots who either got lucky enough in industry timing to benefit, or who are just lazily waiting for a class date at the new company.

The guys hired at the regionals in or before ~2004-2005 were fortunate enough to see upward movement, relatively quick PIC, and the ability to move on without much of an issue. Those hired after, including my group of XJT 2007 hires, were not so lucky. The lack of flow is the only thing that allows guys with 6+ years of right seat RJ time, or guys who don't have Delta painted on the side of the jet, to potentially get a call at a mainline carrier.

If our guests accused us of being drunk we would be screwed... many of our pick up points are hunting lodges out in the middle of nowhere. I asked our CP today what we would have to do to verify our sobriety in the event we were questioned in a remote spot. His response was "you would sit tight for 8 hours, have the guest evaluate you, and leave if they deem you safe to fly... otherwise you would leave without them." Are there any other places that fly into remote airstrips that have run into this issue? What are y'alls policies regarding this situation?

Historically, it's been the solution for a select few before the door slams shut again.

Flows have worked well at some carriers, but yes, they haven't been great in most situations. We need to do a better job in the future, because career progression is the only answer to many issues being faced at the FFD level of the industry.

It also removes the ability for good, motivated people to move up

Not really. Everyone can still apply for jobs the old fashioned way if they want.

The lack of flow is the only thing that allows guys with 6+ years of right seat RJ time

Well, as you know, I don't think those guys should be getting a call when there are guys with plenty of TPIC time looking for jobs.

Flows have worked well at some carriers, but yes, they haven't been great in most situations. We need to do a better job in the future, because career progression is the only answer to many issues being faced at the FFD level of the industry.

Not really. Everyone can still apply for jobs the old fashioned way if they want.

Well, as you know, I don't think those guys should be getting a call when there are guys with plenty of TPIC time looking for jobs.

There are plenty of TPIC guys that shouldn't be anywhere near a Legacy.

GypsyPilot said:
There are plenty of TPIC guys that shouldn't be anywhere near a Legacy.

There are plenty of guys already at legacies who shouldn't be there, either. Sorry, but the idea that the interview process actually works to weed out such people is a fantasy.

But the real reason that such complaints hold no water is that these pilots are already flying mainline passengers on airplanes with the mainline carrier's name on the side. Until that changes, no excuse for the complaints about flows.

Back