Passenger wants to know if you're sober.

I had this happen to me a couple of years ago. There was an investigation into the accusation. It turns out the guy was joking and we didn't have to take any drug tests.

There were no crews available to replace us while this was happening. Two flights got cancelled (a turn) and we operated our last flight to the overnight. There were a lot of pissed off pax and we made sure they knew what was happening.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Are there any repercussions for a pax who cries wolf in a case like this? Other than of course the angry lynch mob of delayed fellow passengers.

It is just astounding to me that this is what some of the public thinks professional airline pilots are about. Not recommending this approach certainly, but for the average traveler on a legacy/international flight, I'd have a couple thoughts. #1: The captain probably makes more money than you do, and as such he likely has more to lose in this whole endeavor by being intoxicated. #2 (which could apply to anyone): do you go to YOUR job drunk? This isn't bus driving, it is a profession that can be taken away from you for something stupid like this. Not that bus drivers show up drunk either. Talk about a couple sensationalized stories in the news in the last few years overshadowing nearly 100 years now of safe air travel. It would be hard not to punch said traveler in the throat, right then and there.

It is just astounding to me that this is what some of the public thinks professional airline pilots are about. Not recommending this approach certainly, but for the average traveler on a legacy/international flight, I'd have a couple thoughts. #1: The captain probably makes more money than you do, and as such he likely has more to lose in this whole endeavor by being intoxicated. #2 (which could apply to anyone): do you go to YOUR job drunk? This isn't bus driving, it is a profession that can be taken away from you for something stupid like this. Not that bus drivers show up drunk either. Talk about a couple sensationalized stories in the news in the last few years overshadowing nearly 100 years now of safe air travel. It would be hard not to punch said traveler in the throat, right then and there.

While I haven't yet been accused of being drunk on the job, I have found that those who feel the need to provide a negative critique of any kind (landing, ride, my age, airplane, etc) seem to be mostly doing it to feel the need to act superior to overcome their own shortcomings...if that makes any sense. Granted our interactions are brief, you can usually tell that maybe they haven't quite achieved all they hoped in their lives, so if they put someone else down it makes them feel better.

It's kind of like the captain who nitpicks your flying, but when its their leg can't find their butt with both hands.

Oh we were mad. I talked the captain out of whipping his ass.

That's always a fun day at work.

Been there, but it was outside the terminal in HPN at 4am. I decided to be a bad F/O and go inside to find coffee. Captain proceeded to brag to me the entire flight back to (hub) how he had been suspended multiple times for fighting. #captainitis

That's always a fun day at work.

Been there, but it was outside the terminal in HPN at 4am. I decided to be a bad F/O and go inside to find coffee. Captain proceeded to brag to me the entire flight back to (hub) how he had been suspended multiple times for fighting. #captainitis

And another reason I don't believe in flow-throughs.

What is he, 12?

Agree with most here. I occasionally get the "are you awake" or "feeling alright tonight?" questions and I have the liberty to joke around a bit with those type of comments. However, If a passenger seriously asked a sobriety or drug related question, I really have no other choice than to remove myself from the situation and call in neutral parties who can answer the inquiry, which typically means drug and alcohol testing.

Don't commit career suicide by thinking those comments are jokes or silly.... They aren't.

My personality would necessitate a PA to my passengers pointing out that my suitability to fly had been questioned by a passenger. I might even identify him or her if I feel they need a little attention from their plane mates. Nothing begets forgiveness like a little revenge.

My personality would necessitate a PA to my passengers pointing out that my suitability to fly had been questioned by a passenger. I might even identify him or her if I feel they need a little attention from their plane mates. Nothing begets forgiveness like a little revenge.

You're a good captain.

Agree with most here. I occasionally get the "are you awake" or "feeling alright tonight?" questions and I have the liberty to joke around a bit with those type of comments. However, If a passenger seriously asked a sobriety or drug related question, I really have no other choice than to remove myself from the situation and call in neutral parties who can answer the inquiry, which typically means drug and alcohol testing.

Don't commit career suicide by thinking those comments are jokes or silly.... They aren't.

Glad to see you back!

I had this happen once a few years back. Moral of the story was we went to get tested, delayed the flight 3 hours and everybody missed their connections. And when we did finally leave, we made sure to explain why we were late.

If I had been on my way home from work that would have been a sure way to become someone that I not only loathe but curse to a life of misery and pain. Seriously I'll cut off a lock of hair and start the ritual in terminal.

Back