Options for teen interested in military helo career.

DE727UPS

I'm on a facebook page that discusses aviation careers and someone PM'd me about their teen son being interested in military rotorcraft. Let's say Army for now. I know there are some Army helo guys on here. At a basic level, can we talk about how to go about getting into Army helo flying. Two year degree? I think you need to be a warrant officer. What's the future of this career. What's the commitment before you can separate. What are civilian jobs that Army helo prepares you for. I had MikeD in mind when I suggested to them that I start a thread on this but I know there are more of you out there. I've given the person I spoke with a link JC and told them to at least lurk here to see the response and if they feel led to join the site and ask questions. Thanks for your help.

Mil Helicopter pilot careers in the civilian world are many. EMS medical work, firefighting work in contract companies, firefighting work in municipal agencies, construction work in logging/heavy lift, law enforcement work, corporate , and a number of others both stateside as well as overseas.

I can speak to USAF, USN/USMC, and USCG helo flying pretty specifically in terms of the road to getting into it. Army commissioned programs as well. The Warrant program specifics, @Lawman can speak specifically to that.

Two paths into Army rotary wing.

Traditional commissioned officer sourcing through West Point -ROTC - OCS assessing (probably the least reliable method of the 3). You come in as a 2Lt.

Warrant officer programs for enlisted or off the street application. The off the street version is called WOFT (warrant officer flight training). Big thing with that is while a degree isn’t required it only helps your application. Flight training is probably the most overly expensive way of trying to impress the board vs having good general character and references and showing potential through education sports etc. With WOFT you go through a regular Army recruiter for active duty, or a specific reserve/guard units recruiter for them. You are NOT required to enlist and serve some time before applying, so any recruiter telling you that is selling something false to make their numbers. It is just a longer process than recruiting to the normal army MOSs so some don’t want to invest the time.

Right now we are increasing the warrant pool at the highest rate since the surge period during Iraq/Afghanistan. Problem is now there is a 10 year service requirement upon completing training. So for somebody off the street you’re looking at just shy of 12 years minimum hitch in the Army.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All good info.

I’d add to check out their local National Guard aviation unit. Usually they will be happy to give a tour and set up meetings with pilots/ leadership, etc. Once or twice a year they run a flight school board and sometimes they offer straight to seat officer positions.

Also, check out the Facebook group RTAG. While their focus is on helping people get into civilian aviation jobs there’s a wealth of knowledge of rotary life from all over various services.

Traditional commissioned officer sourcing through West Point -ROTC - OCS assessing (probably the least reliable method of the 3). You come in as a 2Lt.

Also, if coming in as a commissioned officer you have to compete for an aviation branch, no matter the commissioning source. There will be X amount of slots and your class ranking/ other methods to complex to get into here determine if you become an aviator or not.

Two paths into Army rotary wing.

Warrant officer programs for enlisted or off the street application. The off the street version is called WOFT (warrant officer flight training). Big thing with that is while a degree isn’t required it only helps your application. Flight training is probably the most overly expensive way of trying to impress the board vs having good general character and references and showing potential through education sports etc. With WOFT you go through a regular Army recruiter for active duty, or a specific reserve/guard units recruiter for them. You are NOT required to enlist and serve some time before applying, so any recruiter telling you that is selling something false to make their numbers. It is just a longer process than recruiting to the normal army MOSs so some don’t want to invest the time.

Right now we are increasing the warrant pool at the highest rate since the surge period during Iraq/Afghanistan. Problem is now there is a 10 year service requirement upon completing training. So for somebody off the street you’re looking at just shy of 12 years minimum hitch in the Army.

It was the same way 30 years ago when I rolled the dice on this in the information scarce, pre-internet days.

For me, I tried the OCS assessing. Had friends try to convince me that the warrant officer program was the way to go, but being 21, I knew everything about everything and if I was going to go, it was going to be as an officer.

FWIW, the Navy and Air Force at the time were RIFing people left and right. About half my buds that had gone through school on ROTC were simply released...after they got a paid ride through school. The Army were the only ones talking to people, let alone the ones off the street.

As Lawman said, recruiters....yea, I'd rather buy a car from "some guy" in a sketch part of town. Anyway, I jumped through all the hoops, ASVAB, OSB, FAST, and did that 2 day physical which was a thing back then. I was getting pretty close to signing on the line that was dotted, and...

Someone was watching out for me, as my buddy at the time was in the Naval Reserve, and there was a Army Reserve Aviation detachment at our airport. He knew some of them, and hooked me up with some of their dudes, who did some following up, and it turns out everyone who was going the aviation track at the time was getting parked for a minimum of 2 years, and sent to Calvary to be tank drivers.

I tried to follow up on this with the recruiter, who ghosted me, so at that point, I saw it as a sign.

The moral of the story is if you are going that way, it really, really pays to have some kind of mentor who can help you watchdog the process. I'm not saying tear-assing around some German farmer's field in an M1 wouldn't be fun, but it really isn't my thing.

For me, I tried the OCS assessing. Had friends try to convince me that the warrant officer program was the way to go, but being 21, I knew everything about everything and if I was going to go, it was going to be as an officer.

FWIW, the Navy and Air Force at the time were RIFing people left and right. About half my buds that had gone through school on ROTC were simply released...after they got a paid ride through school. The Army were the only ones talking to people, let alone the ones off the street.

As Lawman said, recruiters....yea, I'd rather buy a car from "some guy" in a sketch part of town. Anyway, I jumped through all the hoops, ASVAB, OSB, FAST, and did that 2 day physical which was a thing back then. I was getting pretty close to signing on the line that was dotted, and...

~20ish years ago, I did this exact same thing... the only difference is I ended up getting such a bad feeling from the recruiter that I bugged out somewhere right after the testing/physical/processing at the MEPS - and then the recruiter kept calling me weekly, bi-weekly, then monthly for like 2 years. It was creepy and made me feel like I literally dodged a big career mistake.

So, I don't have any real info to add other than yeah, those recruiters can be very predatory.

A mentor would be a great thing. Anyone that knows the process from the inside would be great - knows the contracts, guarantees, etc.

Interesting they have fixed wing WOFT postings now too as it's just been rotary open everytime I've checked previously. Looks like they'll hire up to age 34 for ATC with no waiver too but it's enlisted and probably pays ass. Is the fixed wing payscale the same as rotary?

Last edited:
Interesting they have fixed wing WOFT postings now too as it's just been rotary opene everytime I've checked previously. Looks like they'll hire up to age 34 for ATC with no waiver too but it's enlisted and probably pays ass. Is the fixed wing payscale the same as rotary?

Fixed wing is a dying community in the Army.

There was a time over the last decade where it was a path for straight out of flight school.

That path is basically a dead end as we divest most of the fixed wing fleet to a small community of what will be SOF and VIP support aircraft. The fixed wing intel side is being wholly divested except for Artemis for distributed unmanned systems under the current plan.

Interesting they have fixed wing WOFT postings now too as it's just been rotary opene everytime I've checked previously. Looks like they'll hire up to age 34 for ATC with no waiver too but it's enlisted and probably pays ass. Is the fixed wing payscale the same as rotary?
Pay in the military is solely based on rank and years of service no matter what you do. Pilots and some other specialties get some bonus pay depending on the specialty and that varies across services.

In the army, Aviators get a monthly incentive pay that is based on years of aviation service. It doesn’t matter what you fly.

Back