FAA administrator to resign (holy crapola)

DE727UPS

Federal Aviation Administration chief Steve Dickson told staff late Wednesday that he is resigning after just over two-and-a-half years in the post for personal and family reasons.

Citing “mixed emotions and a heavy heart,” his memo to staff said the decision was difficult.

“Over the past several years, my family has been a source of tremendous encouragement, strength and support,” Dickson wrote. “Nevertheless, after sometimes long and unavoidable periods of separation from my loved ones during the pandemic, it is time to devote my full time and attention to them. As I wrote in my letter to President Biden, it is time to go home.”

With his family, including a new grandson, in Georgia and Florida, Dickson has been living apart from them in D.C. for most of the pandemic. He made the decision to resign over the Christmas holiday and told the Department of Transportation last month, said a person familiar with the details.

Appointed FAA Administrator in August 2019 after the two Boeing 737 MAX crashes, Dickson has had to steer the agency through a storm of criticism over the agency’s failures in oversight during certification of that jet.

Early in his tenure, Boeing prodded the agency with repeated public statements claiming the FAA would soon approve the MAX’s return to service. In November 2019, Dickson pushed back by making public a video in which he spoke directly to the FAA safety engineers making the evaluation of Boeing’s fix.

“I know there’s a lot of pressure to return this aircraft to service quickly,” Dickson said in the video. “But I want you to know that I want you to take the time you need and focus solely on safety. I’ve got your back.”

His public rebuke the following month of Boeing’s then-CEO Dennis Muilenburg for appearing to pressure the FAA on the return to service led directly to the Boeing board’s loss of confidence in Muilenburg and his firing later that month.

Nevertheless, Dickson has endured tough personal criticism by senior members of Congress.

Last week, U.S. House Transportation chair Rep. DeFazio, D-Ore., and aviation subcommittee chair Rep. Rick Larsen, D-Everett, complained to the Department of Transportation Inspector General about what they considered “a disappointing response” from Dickson to their concerns about lack of FAA action to hold Boeing accountable for the MAX failures.

In November he was aggressively grilled in a U.S. Senate hearing and forced to defend his agency against charges that it’s been too slow to implement aviation safety reforms and fix its oversight of Boeing.

In his departure note to staff, Dickson claimed substantial progress in those reforms and improvements in safety.

“The agency is in a better place than it was two years ago, and we are positioned for great success,” the memo said. “It has been the privilege of a lifetime to serve alongside you.”

Dickson is a graduate of the U.S. Air Force Academy and the Georgia State University College of Law. In the Air Force, he flew the T-38 Talon supersonic jet trainer and F-15 Eagle fighter jet.

After the military, he spent nearly three decades at Delta Air Lines, retiring as the senior vice president of flight operations.

Dominic Gates: 206-464-2963 or dgates@seattletimes.com; on Twitter: @dominicgates.

Ahem.....it's "The Boeing Company".....

Interesting turn of events, I wonder what actually drove this. On the other hand, seems like a pretty great career; maybe it actually was just time to hang up the business suit next to the Delta hat and G-suit on the love me wall, and spend some time with grandkids(?)

I don’t blame him. He overworked himself at SJI and I’m sure he did the same with the FAA. He deserves some time to him and his family. Happy for him!

A10E4611-972A-4D3B-8D09-BAE1ABEF97D5.jpeg

Maybe the FAA can get someone in charge who doesn't think its totally fine to have most of the countries busiest ATC facilities to be relying on 400+ hours of OT a year. Im scheduled 6 days a week every single week of the year that I dont have vacation time, and the head honchos in the FAA dont even recognize that as a problem.

Entire agency needs a shakeup, especially the Air Traffic side.

Maybe the FAA can get someone in charge who doesn't think its totally fine to have most of the countries busiest ATC facilities to be relying on 400+ hours of OT a year. Im scheduled 6 days a week every single week of the year that I dont have vacation time, and the head honchos in the FAA dont even recognize that as a problem.

Pushing Tin was a documentary, no one wants to do that job anymore.

Scheduled 6 day weeks AND 10 hour days here =)

oh, the EWR/PHL move has been progressing so well that they just had to scrap their entire automations plans and start over, and now they’re ripping out the brand new scopes they just installed at PHL for the move and have to scrounge up the same kind we have at N90 to hopefully get it to work.

Scheduled 6 day weeks AND 10 hour days here =)

oh, the EWR/PHL move has been progressing so well that they just had to scrap their entire automations plans and start over, and now they’re ripping out the brand new scopes they just installed at PHL for the move and have to scrounge up the same kind we have at N90 to hopefully get it to work.
If you don't like it quit.

If you don't like it quit.

golden hand cuffs. Plus aside from the schedule I actually love my job. But burnout is real. We are supposed to have like 57 or something people in my sector for 100% staffing. We have 25. We are averaging 5-7 people on a shift when we are supposed to have 15. We have 9 scopes, so no matter what you’re working multiple positions combined up. Than HQ in DC calls the desk and asks wtf are we in a hold.

That’s…not ok.

Man you are a world champion at holding a grudge.
Haven't you ever walked away from a job? In my opinion if your job makes the rest of your life, and you, miserable than it's better to walk away. It's amazing what walking away from a bad situation does, it literally feels like a huge load removed from your shoulders. It also gives you an indication regarding your worth. And I have no grudge regarding @NovemberEcho I was just joking around, pushing buttons. Is joking around considered an offense these days?

Haven't you ever walked away from a job? In my opinion if your job makes the rest of your life, and you, miserable than it's better to walk away. It's amazing what walking away from a bad situation does, it literally feels like a huge load removed from your shoulders. It also gives you an indication regarding your worth.

the problem with that in my field is that there’s no one else to walk away too. Plus the whole retiring with a full pension at 50 makes one willing to tolerate a lot of bs.

the problem with that in my field is that there’s no one else to walk away too. Plus the whole retiring with a full pension at 50 makes one willing to tolerate a lot of bs.
I have a feeling you have other marketable skills, I understand the pension part but you only live once and if you spend the majority of it working towards 50 you might miss out on some of the other parts. You have a daughter, I suspect very soon you're going to hate being at work.

I have a feeling you have other marketable skills

none that I know of. Sure I did an automotive trade school but that was 2005ish, I don’t remember crap from that. Otherwise I’m a 2 time college dropout. But like I said, other than the schedule I really do love my job. Death before ever having to be in an office or shop bay again.

golden hand cuffs. Plus aside from the schedule I actually love my job. But burnout is real. We are supposed to have like 57 or something people in my sector for 100% staffing. We have 25. We are averaging 5-7 people on a shift when we are supposed to have 15. We have 9 scopes, so no matter what you’re working multiple positions combined up. Than HQ in DC calls the desk and asks wtf are we in a hold.
Glad to know the agency is broken coast to coast haha.
We’re supposed to have 45 people, and we currently have 24 working the boards. Fully staffed for most shifts is 10 or 11 and were at the point where 7 is considered fat staffing. And they want us to somehow train all these new people but that kills a body to get them the assist position so there’s just no way.
We’ve essentially dug a hole so big there’s no way out of it. What’s crazy is the agency still hasn’t recovered from Reagan firing everybody, all of his replacements just retired and that apparently caught the FAA off guard somehow.

So now we’re left holding the bag 6 days a week forever. The bad news too is there’s no end in sight, it’s legit only going to get worse not better haha. The moneys nice but it would be nice to like, see my wife, sometimes lol.

Ps……. For all the pilots out there. When you’re dealing with a controller who’s being grumpy and rude, just keep in mind most of us at busy facilities are being worked to death.

I really try to not take it out on pilots but sometimes when y’all get chippy it’s ONNNN. I’m here 6 days a week I don’t need to deal with SKW trying to go Mach .63 in a E175 and then getting lippy when I ask them to speed up on what was supposed to be my off day lmao. And yes that is so specific because it just happened a few mins ago

Back