NJC 2007 Midwest/East - Chicago

June is looking good but we won't be able to stay downtown cuz it's just too darn expensive (over $200/nt) for hotels.

You may want to look into the Schaumburg or Naperville areas. They both have hotel choices and are right along major expressways into the city. The train is also an options from these locals. I think you would find lower rates also (the hotels range from Motel 6 up through Hilton).

The hotels near ORD are usually walking distance to the El. It's about a 45 minute ride downtown from ORD. Might find some cheaper rates out there as well. Rosemont is where most of the hotels are.

My girlfriend *might* be able to swing a good deal at her hotel in Schaumburg. I'll have to see how close it is to the Metra, and what the train schedules are. Plenty of restaurants and bars nearby the hotel on Golf Rd, not to mention it is only 15 minutes from ORD if we do a tour there or something. About 45-50 minutes from MDW. If we do anything at MDW, we'd need transportation.

We could also look at the Midway Hotel Center at MDW. Free shuttle service to the airport and to the Orange Line CTA station. The Orange Line is the train that takes you into downtown. About a 35-40 minute ride, if not less. Also an easy connect to the Red Line to go to a Sox game, or go up to the North side near Wrigley for restaurants and nightlife.

I am good with any weekend, although I voted for March on St. Patty's Day simply because this city has a lot of Irish heritage... St. Patty's Day is a BLAST. The weather will be much more cooperative in May or June, however.

I'm trying to stay as far away from having to rent cars as possible! we might need to rent a van or get some drivers if we do a TRACON tour but other than that, i just really want something close to being in the middle of everything. MDW might not be too bad if it's an easy hop/jump on the train to get to places....anything over an hour out would be too far i think... too much time on trains is not what we want.

i have no idea what suburbs are good for staying in and no idea what hotels are near subway entrances.

I can tell you that I don't want to stay down in Soldier Field area.. stayed there when i was young with marching band group and found out in the morning it was not the good side of town.

I can tell you that I don't want to stay down in Soldier Field area.. stayed there when i was young with marching band group and found out in the morning it was not the good side of town.

That's funny, because now with construction and some clean up, that is one of the nicer areas of the city. New condos, new parks, the remodeling of Soldier Field. Very high-end living down there.

Back