Just some advice...

ChasenSFO

hen teaser
It's not often I feel like I can contribute some solid advice here, but hopefully this can help somebody out.

I was informed of an opportunity to work airline operations around my schedule in the ramp tower. I would get an extra $1500 in my pocket every month and flight bennies. I exceeded all the qualifications and quickly moved through the application and phone interview process. What's more, the station training manager for this airline is a VERY close personal friend who was once my manager in my airline days. He would be one of the two people interviewing me.

I planned to get up in plenty of time for the interview on the other side of the Bay, but after an almost sleepless week, I passed out a good 15 hours waking up about an hour and half before my interview. Still having to shower, shave, and gather my required materials as this airline moved VERY fast through the process and I was out of town from the phone interview until the day before the in-person interview so I was unable to prepare. I knew I was supposed to have a high school transcript, I didn't have one as not a single job I've ever interviewed for has asked for one. I honestly thought it was ridiculous that they care about my(very terrible) high school grades when I have all this real world experience, and it was impossible for me to get a copy due to a combination of the me being out of town and my old school needing a 3 business day heads up for transcripts(only 1 had passed between my invite and the interview). However, the e-mail I was sent said "If you can't provide all these documents at the interview date, we'd still love to see you! Please come anyway and you can provide them later". I checked the interview e-mail again on my way out the door for the address and an ETA, and noticed there were attachments at the very bottom of the e-mail that were not mentioned at all in the detailed overview of the interview. My internet was running slow, so between the "come anyway" line, the fact no further documents were mentioned, and my buddy interviewing me, I decided to just go out the door and try and be on time.

Now, I allowed a 20-minute grace period to get there going off of Google Maps. It wasn't enough and after a "where the eff are you" text from my buddy 5-mins prior, I told him I would be a few minutes late. By the time I found their office suite, I was 12 minutes late. Despite this, I was told by the girl at the front desk that it was fine and they would see me soon. She never asked me for any documents. My friend came in and grabbed me and I interviewed. The HR lady spent about 3 minutes talking about how I was late and it cut into our time(which I found ironic). However, the interview went FANTASTIC and I knew I was killing it regardless of my buddy being in the room. In the end, she left the room to make a copy of my drivers licence and my friend told me "I want to punch you in the balls for being late, you're by FAR the most qualified applicant and you're the only person to get her to smile and laugh all day. But she's beyond pissed you rolled in late, everyone else was here way early. I think I can save you from that though because you did amazing". When the HR rep returned, I addressed the transcript issue, and she agreed I had a valid reason and it was a non-issue at the moment. With one applicant left to go, and seeing him under-dressed and physically shaking with nervousness, I was very confident that the job was mine. As was my friend.

Well, we were wrong. That night I was bombarded by texts from my buddy. After an apparent heated argument between him and the HR lady, she chose another candidate. The HR lady agreed that I was by far the most qualified applicant for the position, said she found me much more confident, charming and personable than any of the other applicants, and even went as far as to say I had the best answers to her questions that she had remembered hearing in an ops interview as well as being the only applicant who showed interest in and was qualified for quickly moving up in the company. And again, all this being told to my good friend who badly wanted me in. So if I stood out so well, why did I not get offered the position?

I was late. I know this, and she said she just found it totally unacceptable. However, she MAY have been able to over-look this if I had all my documents. Apparently, unknown to my friend, the drug test and background check paperwork was attached to my e-mail purposely under an erroneous file name and the HR lady purposely didn't ask for it. It was her way of seeing how through and detail-oriented the applicants were. I was expected to want the job bad enough to print and fill out the random forms "just in case" and then ask what to do with them before the interview was over. My friend didn't know about this but apparently all the other candidates presented either her or the front desk employee with the paperwork, and showed up at least 15+ minutes early. All said and done, while I was the ideal candidate in most every sense of the word, the other people "wanted it more" in her eyes since they made sure to go the extra mile, where I was admittedly cocky thinking I had the job the second I applied.

If I really wanted the job, I could have left earlier, and by doing so I could have allowed time to print the documents. I also could have at least asked about the documents and perhaps printed them and filled them out on the spot. But I didn't, and honestly, I probably didn't want the job as bad as the others. Thus, some guy with a dispatchers licence but zero airline experience, and apparently zero personality to match, got the job over me. Literally for showing up on time and prepared. So take note of this, and remember that even if ALL the cards are stacked in your favor, if you can't bother to meet the most basic expectations, it very well may be all for not.

tl;dr, even if Barack Obama is your reference for a job and he's sitting right there fist bumping you through an interview, you best show up on-time and with all your ish togeather.

Your sense of accountability is admirable. And it's a testament to your character that you're willing to share the object lesson.

I'm sorry you didn't get the gig, but the lesson learned is invaluable.

And while I personally find that interview tactic underhanded and tacky, it's their job and their company. Not sure I'd want to work in an organization that expects frankness and transparence from an applicant but purposely obfuscates a process to test "how bad you want it."

Yeah. The more I think about it, it's like offsetting penalties. Yeah, you were late. But screw them.

Bad deal for being late but you owned it and that, in itself, is admirable.

As for the email attachment, I think that is an crap way to treat anyone. If she's "testing" you at this stage in the game, no telling how bad she would be to work for. As attachments go, I don't open ANY attachment unless I know what it is because I don't know what virus has attached itself to the email. ESPECIALLY if the attachment isn't mentioned in the email; even if I know or trust the sender........I'm not going to touch it.

Bad deal for being late but you owned it and that, in itself, is admirable.

As for the email attachment, I think that is an crap way to treat anyone. If she's "testing" you at this stage in the game, no telling how bad she would be to work for. As attachments go, I don't open ANY attachment unless I know what it is because I don't know what virus has attached itself to the email. ESPECIALLY if the attachment isn't mentioned in the email; even if I know or trust the sender........I'm not going to touch it.
Yeah, honestly I thought it was just a heads up, "Hey, we're gonna pee test you and then dig into the last 10 years of your life". But I see why they do it, and she made sure not to give my buddy the heads up either. Live and learn.

Wow... All I can say is you seem like a really good dude, and I know there is a pot of gold waiting for you down the road somewhere.

It seems to me though if I was HR, I would have asked your reason for the tardy. Traffic, car troubles, or maybe you ran into a burning home to save a kitten. But she should have been more understanding as HR from what your saying.

Wish you the best.

Wow... All I can say is you seem like a really good dude, and I know there is a pot of gold waiting for you down the road somewhere.

It seems to me though if I was HR, I would have asked your reason for the tardy. Traffic, car troubles, or maybe you ran into a burning home to save a kitten. But she should have been more understanding as HR from what your saying.

Wish you the best.
Thanks, she did ask me, and I was honest telling her that I planned the Google Maps ETA+20, but it didn't work out due to what I assume was an accident bottle necking traffic when I was about 2 exits away. It was clear she thought I should have arrived an hour early or so just in case, no sympathy from her. Not that I really expected any.

When the guy who got the job gets fired, because he's a complete hack, can you reapply and interview for the job?
6 months to re-apply. Though now that I've learned how to shoot instrument approaches and have the money to hopefully finish my IFR-CFI in the next few months, I think I'll just stick it out up here and make sure the next job I get is either a start in entertainment or a CFI gig.

Good writeup. One other takeaway from this is as just a learning point for the masses, is not not think that all you need to do is "network", and you're in. Networking only gets you to the door, it doesn't let you inside. Not that I'm saying its the case here, but I've seen too many instances of persons thinking "I've got the in....my buddy's getting me in", only to have them not uphold up their own end of the bargain.

Good learning takeaways.

When I interviewed at my current job, I initially selected a time slot that would allow me to commute in and out the same day, for a couple reasons. One was cost (no hotel out of pocket) and two was to prevent the dropping of a trip ($$$).

Once the trip was approved to be dropped I emailed back asking for the early time slot, so that I could come in the day prior. I think this really helped in my standing with them, as I'll be honest, my interview was not very good! I did end up getting an offer, which was great, and I'd like to think at least part of that was because I was willing to put out money and additional time and devote it to them to ensure I was where I needed to be.

About following directions, on the online app you were asked for your RESUME to be uploaded. Many, many people did not just upload their resume, the ongoing chatter seemed like most uploaded resume + cover letter + references to that slot.

During my interview, I stated "and I have my updated resume, but also cover letter and references here. I did not upload it to the online app because it asked for the resume only". The HR rep stated, "thank you for the cover letter, and we like people who follow directions".

Did they hire people who did it differently? Of course. But you need to stack the deck in your favor as much as is humanly possible. I've never interviewed anyone, but my wife has, and people who genuinely care about the job and WANT it can screw up in other ways and still get it over someone who may actually be "perfect" for the gig.

It is one thing to follow directions. It is something else when the directions don't exist or are hidden like in the OP's email.

I find that HR tactic overly dishonest and paints a negative picture of what the culture is like at that company.
Possibly, but @ChasenSFO would probably admit that he did the absolute bare minimum.
It should not be taken lightly that from the other side of the desk there is a ton of accountability for hiring someone. If the biatch in HR hired him and then he ended up being late a bunch when he was actually working there that'd probably come back to bite both of them.

Possibly, but @ChasenSFO would probably admit that he did the absolute bare minimum.
It should not be taken lightly that from the other side of the desk there is a ton of accountability for hiring someone. If the biatch in HR hired him and then he ended up being late a bunch when he was actually working there that'd probably come back to bite both of them.

This is perhaps true. But starting a relationship from an adversarial position is....dumb. Especially when only one person knows the rule set.

As far as the e-mail goes, the fact remains that the other 7 applicants all printed, completed, mentioned, and handed in the paperwork. Only I didn't.

As far as the e-mail goes, the fact remains that the other 7 applicants all printed, completed, mentioned, and handed in the paperwork. Only I didn't.

Agreed. Again, great learning points. But as you said, maybe you mentally didn't want the job or the extra work (2nd job essentially) and hence didn't put the 100% effort out. Kind of an "if I get it, I get it...whatever"? Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I'd hope your friend doesn't/didn't take any personal offense from (possibly?) having to feel like he had to do some unplanned damage control?

You sound like the right guy for the right job, but the path to it went through a minion on a head trip. People like her are everywhere in the world - blueshirts who make elderly, disabled passengers strip down, DPEs who bust candidates because they can, teachers who write tests with "four oh busters" just to keep bright, hard working students from getting to 100%.

You're the better man. Do all the paperwork next time and get there early.

I was late. I know this, and she said she just found it totally unacceptable. However, she MAY have been able to over-look this if I had all my documents. Apparently, unknown to my friend, the drug test and background check paperwork was attached to my e-mail purposely under an erroneous file name and the HR lady purposely didn't ask for it. It was her way of seeing how through and detail-oriented the applicants were. I was expected to want the job bad enough to print and fill out the random forms "just in case" and then ask what to do with them before the interview was over. My friend didn't know about this but apparently all the other candidates presented either her or the front desk employee with the paperwork, and showed up at least 15+ minutes early. All said and done, while I was the ideal candidate in most every sense of the word, the other people "wanted it more" in her eyes since they made sure to go the extra mile, where I was admittedly cocky thinking I had the job the second I applied.
Oh-really-gif_1.gif

Of course, my problem is that I'm in operations, and therefore, do not believe in playing games.

(I would sort of consider that a 'game.')

Back