Just some advice...

Thanks for sharing @ChasenSFO

If you're early, you're on time.
If you're on time, you're late.
If you're late, you're f*****.
In the Army it was always "10 minutes early to formation, plus 10 minutes early to the 10 minutes early for the platoon sergeant, then it was another 10 minutes for the squad leader....then it was 10 minutes on that in case of traffic or nonsense....

People wonder why I always show up so damn early to things...I have a panic attack starting 20 minutes out.

In the Army it was always "10 minutes early to formation, plus 10 minutes early to the 10 minutes early for the platoon sergeant, then it was another 10 minutes for the squad leader....then it was 10 minutes on that in case of traffic or nonsense....

People wonder why I always show up so damn early to things...I have a panic attack starting 20 minutes out.
You were lucky, in the Marines it was a constant 15 mins before formation. So that means that the Plt Sgt is gonna want the formation 15 mins before the 15 min formation, then the Section leader (No squads, I was a tracker) sets up 15 min to the 15 min to the 15 min formation. then the Sgts want a formation 15 to the 15 to the 15 to the 15. THEN we have the Cpls who want their formation. So all that being said, you're in formation about an hour and a half to listen to everyone telling you not to taze pimps, wear condoms, dont drink and drive, and dont get married or buy a car near base.

My take:
1) You've taken responsibility for your shortcomings
2) All of this post failure analysis comes off as handwringing, sympathy playing. I don't think this is your intention, think you are trying to pass on a lesson.
3) Do people really need so much positive reinforcement for essentially living life, making mistakes, learning and moving on?
4) millennials *need* for continuous positive reinforcement just to exist in life drives me flipping mad.
To be clear, I was not looking for props or well wishes of any kind. The point of this write-up was purely objective hoping that I can help someone out who may be a little over-confident going into an application process due to any variety of factors.

To be clear, I was not looking for props or well wishes of any kind. The point of this write-up was purely objective hoping that I can help someone out who may be a little over-confident going into an application process due to any variety of factors.
I thought it was a good post, a way to reiterate the importance of the basic stuff to interview etiquette and presenting you best image. I didn't feel as if you were fishing for anything. Having met you now I already know you're a stand up guy. Keep doing what you're doing bro...

I'm sorry you experienced this, although it sounds as if it might not have been the perfect job anyway.

Being late is a big issue, especially if you don't call them. Not following instructions is a big issue. Until May, our online recruiting system only allowed one document to be uploaded. I wanted a cover letter, resume and a list of 3 professional references. So I asked them to merge them into a single document. I stated in bold italics that applications that failed to fulfill that would not be considered. I asked questions and the last was, "have you created a single document with your resume, cover letter and list of references?". People would reply "yes" and upload a document that was only their resume.

I immediately rejected them. Not only did they not follow instructions, but they thumbed their nose.

Now the system allows for multiple documents. I still get just a resume. And I reject them.

You only get one chance to make a great first impression.

My word, how charmingly original! Both the little jump-through-the-hoop games and the deeply examined philosophy so eloquently expressed in the last line! I'm suddenly all abashed by my Philistine reflection from the mudhole.
Not to over-generalize. In the words of the great Justice Holmes, "No generalization was ever worth a damn, including this one," but... beat cops, grade school teachers, and HR wonks: Same vacuously officious mentality, different venues; Thank god only one group gets guns.
Hire bright-as-a-penny if you wish. I'll hire bright. Keep in mind your competition doesn't even have to be good; just better than you. Most of the best, most imaginative and productive folks I've hired have been the ones who were actually smart rather than well-schooled, actually capable rather than capable of management paint-by-the-numbers games, and actually loyal rather than Machiavellian mantra-mouthers. Only one of 'em really looked good in a suit, but he typically reeked of garlic. Of course my philosophy has always been, "If it ain't broke, break it... you might learn something." Katas are lovely, but they don't win fights.
I'm certainly not advocating being late, but I'll take an honest, self-reflective guy like the OP any day over a sycophantic simulacrum of success who happens not to live on the other side of a traffic jam.
Mark Twain once said, "Never let your schooling interfere with your education." Pardon my bastardization, but "Never let some HR ninny interfere with your employment."

My word, how charmingly original! Both the little jump-through-the-hoop games and the deeply examined philosophy so eloquently expressed in the last line! I'm suddenly all abashed by my Philistine reflection from the mudhole.
Not to over-generalize. In the words of the great Justice Holmes, "No generalization was ever worth a damn, including this one," but... beat cops, grade school teachers, and HR wonks: Same vacuously officious mentality, different venues; Thank god only one group gets guns.
Hire bright-as-a-penny if you wish. I'll hire bright. Keep in mind your competition doesn't even have to be good; just better than you. Most of the best, most imaginative and productive folks I've hired have been the ones who were actually smart rather than well-schooled, actually capable rather than capable of management paint-by-the-numbers games, and actually loyal rather than Machiavellian mantra-mouthers. Only one of 'em really looked good in a suit, but he typically reeked of garlic. Of course my philosophy has always been, "If it ain't broke, break it... you might learn something." Katas are lovely, but they don't win fights.
I'm certainly not advocating being late, but I'll take an honest, self-reflective guy like the OP any day over a sycophantic simulacrum of success who happens not to live on the other side of a traffic jam.
Mark Twain once said, "Never let your schooling interfere with your education." Pardon my bastardization, but "Never let some HR ninny interfere with your employment."

Do you expect anyone to take you seriously?

Sounds like a company I wouldn't want to work for! I've worked for two major airlines and two regionals. None have ever required anything like that. All correspondence was straight forwaRd and precise as to what was required for the interview. As far as urinalysis stuff, I've never had to do any paperwork till after the conditional job offer.

Oh well you learned a valuable lesson in "the job is yours to lose". Besides you want to come up to and be a part of #TeamSEA anyways! ;)

Oh well you learned a valuable lesson in "the job is yours to lose". Besides you want to come up to and be a part of #TeamSEA anyways! ;)
The ramp tower up there actually pays very well and I considered it, looked like I would have a good shot at it if I applied when I called and asked about arranging a tour and such. But, moving up there to go to another ramp tower is just a lateral move regardless of pay and the move to SEA would disrupt what I've spent the last 3 years or so trying to build locally in SF. Like I said, I think my next job will have to either be a commercial flying/CFI gig or an entertainment gig. Gotta keep the ball rolling, still a long way to go.

I'll add that despite the fact most people who know about what happened seem to think the HR thing was a bad deal, I'm OK with it. It's their rodeo, everyone else had the papers, everyone else was on time, really nothing else to say there. I don't hold any hard feelings against the airline, I'm just glad my buddy caught no flak over it.

Last edited:
I'm glad you learned a valuable lesson, but oversleeping wasn't acceptable in high school, and isn't acceptable in the real world. Was this something that you really wanted, or that would have been just nice to get? I hope you didn't ruin your buddy's reputation in the company as well.

I'm glad you learned a valuable lesson, but oversleeping wasn't acceptable in high school, and isn't acceptable in the real world. Was this something that you really wanted, or that would have been just nice to get? I hope you didn't ruin your buddy's reputation in the company as well.
Of course oversleeping was acceptable in high school, I was the Dean's assistant tasked with keeping track of the attendance detentions. Funny how I rolled in at lunch everyday and never got one. But that's not a story for this thread. :)

I wanted the job, but I didn't need it. It was pretty much the equivalent of a friend going, "Hey man, want to help me out for some extra cash?". That's how I went into it honestly, yes it happened to be at a highly desirable airline to work for, but being interviewed by a very close friend for a job that I exceeded the qualifications of made me admittedly cocky. Glad I got a reality check, but my friend's reputation wasn't harmed at all. As I said in the original post, the HR rep had nothing but great things to say about me other than the obvious issues. I wasn't arrogant at all in the interview, it was just the mindset I had going into the process.

TEI68.jpg

Good write up and good on you for owning up to it. Something to consider next time. I think Human Resources has one of the highest turnover rates of any corporate career. ;)

Good write up and good on you for owning up to it. Something to consider next time. I think Human Resources has one of the highest turnover rates of any corporate career. ;)

+1

I currently don't work in the industry, but one time I did, and the HR people that were there are now gone. As for the industry I am in now, its also rampant with turnover in HR.

C-Bass, as long as you can see the errs in your ways, and know how to correct/prevent them for the future, I'd say you've learned. A valuable lesson I've learned is to never do good work for praise, always do good work for your own satisfaction.

All this lecturing makes me feel like:
Danny_in_charge.png

+1

I currently don't work in the industry, but one time I did, and the HR people that were there are now gone. As for the industry I am in now, its also rampant with turnover in HR.

C-Bass, as long as you can see the errs in your ways, and know how to correct/prevent them for the future, I'd say you've learned. A valuable lesson I've learned is to never do good work for praise, always do good work for your own satisfaction.

All this lecturing makes me feel like:
Danny_in_charge.png
BOB SAGET!

Great now I've spent the last 30 minutes researching the HR "Profession". I better be real careful about sharing the opinion I'm forming. :D

Back