Jumping back in

CakeOnIt

Hi everyone,
Its been several years since I have been on this forum and am looking at getting back into aviation after taking 5 years off. Looking back, I can say that aviation has been the one occupation that I loved, every day. I'm 44 years old, have my single and multi engine commercial with instrument ratings. I have about 150 hours multi, and about 40 hours actual IFR, 1100TT. I am not current, so my first step back in will be some dual and an IPC. I want to save money and get back into the left seat. I built most of my time working aerial survey. I left when the hiring climate was not that hot, and had several pieces of real estate in upstate NY that needed intensive rehab. I'm selling the last of the properties over the next few months with the exception of my primary residence and one multi-family cash cow that I will likely have to outsource the management of. I look forward to not being a full time landlord and focusing on flying. I may go to a pilot mill and pick up my CFIA and maybe CFII. Anyone have any pointers on getting back in the game? Any suggestions or words of encouragement would be welcome- or feel free to say I'm crazy. Finally, it looks like the hiring climate these days is much better than 2009-2010 when I was current. Thanks all!

Last edited:
Hey! I'm right with you. So no real advice but I'll add where I'm at to the mix as we're in a somewhat similar spot. I'm 41 - I have more TT than you (1328TT) and similar actual, but WAY less multi with a whopping 7 hours (and no rating - took a few lessons with a MEI when I flew with him as navigator in an air race). I went gangbusters on training to CFI then stepped back. That was in 2005. I am still current flying-wise as I own a 1947 Cessna 120. However my IFR work is sorely neglected as I have been of the grass-strip ilk for a few years, and my instruction (I've got about 700 dual given) has all been primary, commercial, and one CFI initial. I literally got the bug two weeks ago almost overnight and it's now all I can think about.

I own my own business and can't step away until next summer due to bookings. Right now my plan, if I move forward, is to fly my 120 as per usual (I usually fly it 75-100hrs per year) this year, study the IFR stuff and get completely brushed up, and perhaps add my CFII (don't know if that's a good thing to do?). Meanwhile save some cash and at the end of the year, add my CMEL and perhaps MEI (again, needed?? though the time has to be flown anyways). I've always got student inquiries so could also take a student or two. I do really enjoy teaching anyways.

I'm trying to figure out how I want to get the multi time built. That's my biggest conundrum to date.

I'm trying to make the decision very quickly and have the talk with my hubs about it (he'll probably fall over!) - I want to make sure he's 100% on board. I'd be doing something he's always wanted to do - and I want to make sure I fully consider his feelings on this. (funny, he's got almost 2000TT and over 150 multi himself....)

Looking forward to your responses. No, you're not crazy....or maybe you are, and there's just two of us ;)

Sarah

Sarah,

It's nice to hear I'm not alone. I just came home from my local FBO to find that my favorite CFI just passed away (he was almost 80) and they have shuttered the building. So sad, he was a great teacher and we shared some great times in the air. I currently live in rural upstate NY and there are practically no CFIs within an hour drive.

I did my instrument rating in a twin, so I actually had my commercial multi before my single engine commercial that I needed to take an aerial survey job. Have you considered taking a survey gig? I know it would be hard on the family situation, because when I worked survey, I was gone for months at a time but it did allow for me to log a great deal of cross country, night, and free IPCs from my co-workers; furthermore we had a few twins, but I'd say that 90% of the work was in C-172s. I worked most of the class B airspace on the east coast and Texas at one time or another- I'd say 50% of the hours were in Class B airspace, so we got to know the ATC staff pretty much on a first name basis.

I have been considering a few options, primarily go to a CFI mill like American Flyers and pound out the CFI and CFII, expecting to overfly the allocated hours to get proficient then instruct for a while, something I think I would enjoy. I may do another season flying survey. I have even considered buying an aircraft if I find the right deal and flying that for a while then selling it. So many decisions! My first hurdle is just getting a BFR somewhere.

I know one way to build multi time fast- look at what used to be called Ari-Ben Aviator. Now it's just called the Aviator Flight School down at KFPR. It was owned by a guy named Mike and the chief pilot was Pierre, and you could pick up your MEI and CFII then work there, pretty much all they fly is BE-76s. I know Mike was very hungry quality for CFIs a few years back, ones that were willing to stay for a year or so.

May I ask where you fly out of? And what business are you leaving behind? I have a BS degree in Chemistry and some think I'm nuts to not take any Chem job that pays so much better than flying. One thing I don't miss is working for big corporations selling mostly poison, but flying has been only job ever really loved.

Chat with you soon!
Mike

Mike,

I own a portrait/wedding photography studio. I've been lucky enough to be successful in a field that is becoming incredibly flooded (and with a lot of part-timers willing to work for peanuts, to boot). Traveling to teach or fly survey is probably not an option for me due to the fact I have weddings booked into the first half of next year. Which is why I'm trying to assess and arrive at a decision quickly so I don't continue to book past the point I wish to move on, if I'm going to. Since my part of the country has a definitive slow season (winter), I have great chances of getting some serious flying and prep done then. If I need to travel for my multi or for any time building stuff, I can make plenty of shorter trips then. Thanks for the KFPR rec. I remember seeing Ari-Ben all over the place when I was initially starting down the rating path in the 2002-2005 time range.

My 120 is based at KGPH just northeast of Kansas City. I have done my teaching at KMKC (downtown airport in KC). Prior to my photo business, I worked for 15 years in the corporate world as a graphic designer (my degree), then marketing coordinator, then marketing manager for numerous architecture, engineering, and construction companies.

Good luck!!!!
Sarah

If interested in 121 most now will pay to send you for the ATP written. Getting current and prepped is the big thing. If I can help let me know. I still run my consulting business (just me) but jumped 121 at (oh god) 50 years old. I know my place is hiring 50+ a month, I can help here if interested.

Let me know

Tracy

I'm working on getting current now and studying for the ATP written, I may take another survey job to build time faster, but am considering 121 positions. I will reach out, would you prefer a PM? Thanks for the reply!

Mike,

It's coming! :) I have been meeting with some friends in the industry over the past week, trying to get a feel for upsides and downsides, and their opinions....good and bad. I have one more lunch meeting tomorrow and plan on talking with my husband about it tomorrow night to get his thoughts. I really think he'll be on board. Right now I've got weddings booked through August 6th of next year so if I move forward, I'll study (and of course fly) all summer, save for the multi stuff, fly multi all winter when my business is slow and then hopefully get right into to ATP bookwork. If I move forward the goal would be to be hired as soon as possible after the Aug 6 wedding is completed - I'd call that one the end of the line and book nothing further afterward.

Sarah

Decision pretty much made. Jim's 100% on board and I think he's actually kinda excited. Already dusted off the textbooks and plan to get a quick CFII at the end of the summer (it will be good to have). Then CMEL and MEI this winter. Found a great local place I didn't even know about; had lunch with our local DPE today and he highly recommended it. Price is good and even better when I don't have to factor in travel and lodging. Forging ahead! Lots to do in the coming months....

Congratulations! I'm glad to hear it's working out for the best for you. Great to have the support from the family!

I'm still looking for a good place to get current, looks like I'm going to have to travel and knock as much out as possible, thinking about American Flyers in Pompano, but still looking.

I am trying to get back in as well. I have 2800 hours with an ATP MEL and I have an interview next week. I hope it all goes well.

Reactions: sbe
Back