How to get back into professional flying after a 7 year break?

TexasFlyer

Living the Dream (well at least trying to)
These answers seem to change with the hiring environment and have not seen any ask about returning to flying after years of being grounded lately.

ME: I have about 1700 hours as a CFI from about 2010 to 2014. I have about 1900 hours as an FO at a Regional from about 2014 to 2017. In early 2018 I lost my medical due to serious fatigue. These issues have finally been resolved this year with diet and basic lifestyle changes. I expect my doctors to write me doctor notes stating such in 2024 since then they'll have a long track record of me being medication free with no symptoms of prior issues. I will then turn the doctor notes into an AME in 2024 to hopefully get the revoked medical reinstated.

THE QUESTION: I have not touched an aircraft since 2017. If I get my 1st Class back in 2024, it'll be after more than a 7 year break. How do you make yourself viable again to get back into the airlines? Would love to get back to a Regional or LCC once I get my 1st Class back in hand. Anyone have experience doing this after a long flying gap?

These answers seem to change with the hiring environment and have not seen any ask about returning to flying after years of being grounded lately.

ME: I have about 1700 hours as a CFI from about 2010 to 2014. I have about 1900 hours as an FO at a Regional from about 2014 to 2017. In early 2018 I lost my medical due to serious fatigue. These issues have finally been resolved this year with diet and basic lifestyle changes. I expect my doctors to write me doctor notes stating such in 2024 since then they'll have a long track record of me being medication free with no symptoms of prior issues. I will then turn the doctor notes into an AME in 2024 to hopefully get the revoked medical reinstated.

THE QUESTION: I have not touched an aircraft since 2017. If I get my 1st Class back in 2024, it'll be after more than a 7 year break. How do you make yourself viable again to get back into the airlines? Would love to get back to a Regional or LCC once I get my 1st Class back in hand. Anyone have experience doing this after a long flying gap?
Anecdotally only and medical issue aside, I have heard of folks with decent experience but long gaps becoming competitive by simply getting 100 hours of recency in just about anything. Maybe just rent for 100 hours or CFI for 100 hours… anything to get you past the “100 hours in 12 months” app filter. And heck, some regionals are so deseparate for street captains you might not even need that much.

As for flying skills after a gap, they come back pretty quickly. I’ve had a few over my career and it never took too long to knock the rust off.

Good luck!

Anecdotally only and medical issue aside, I have heard of folks with decent experience but long gaps becoming competitive by simply getting 100 hours of recency in just about anything. Maybe just rent for 100 hours or CFI for 100 hours… anything to get you past the “100 hours in 12 months” app filter. And heck, some regionals are so deseparate for street captains you might not even need that much.

As for flying skills after a gap, they come back pretty quickly. I’ve had a few over my career and it never took too long to knock the rust off.

Good luck!
I was thinking similar, but assumed I'd need a solid 300+ hours over 6 months at least before being considered. Either way. I think my plan is to hire the local flight school to get me current and do an IPC. I'm sure that'll take me a good 8 to 12 hours to get back up to speed with everything. And then once up to speed hopefully the school hires me to be a CFI. Then maybe my prior Regional will hire me back once I get some time under my belt since I loved it there. And if not, I'll just keep being a CFI until the door opens to get back into 121 flying.

I was thinking similar, but assumed I'd need a solid 300+ hours over 6 months at least before being considered. Either way. I think my plan is to hire the local flight school to get me current and do an IPC. I'm sure that'll take me a good 8 to 12 hours to get back up to speed with everything. And then once up to speed hopefully the school hires me to be a CFI. Then maybe my prior Regional will hire me back once I get some time under my belt since I loved it there. And if not, I'll just keep being a CFI until the door opens to get back into 121 flying.
Envoy is handing out 100k bonuses to people with your time. Once you get current, you'll get hired.

I had a 2 year gap. I did an IPC and was hired shortly after at a part 91 gig. JSX was also willing hire me if I was successful in the interview.

I have no idea about 121 but, I think you will be hireable as soon as you get current and comfortable flying again.

I know someone similarly-situated who SkyWest rejected for a want of recency. In my conversations with one of their former recruiters, it seems that they do have a certain "so many hours in the last so many days" number that they like to see over there. So I'd go do a flight review and an IPC at a minimum, and fill in applications literally everywhere (that part, despite people saying otherwise, hasn't changed much).

Good luck with the dark lords of Aeromedical. Welcome back.

Back