"I've got him on TCAS"

Of course you can always ignore ALPAs advice like these guys did:

sriimg20050521_5805394_0.jpg
germany-crash.jpg

For sure ALPA not a perfect organization

But this is one thing that those who know about the history of TCAS are thankful for ALPAs involvement.

And as for the ALPA advice, it actually benefits every pilot even you.
I'm guessing you don't have TCAS II though....

Cheers
George

What's TCAS II? I have no idea what that is.

Maybe I should check my training manuals from Bombardier DFW or Flight Safety ICT to see if the two types that I've earned talk about it.

Actually kind of a pet peeve of mine when another pilot says it, but without visually spotting the traffic, what in the world does "I've got him on TCAS" do for the controller, if anything?

Gah.....I hate that! It's true I'm not a controller; however, I'm certain I've read it does nothing to alleviate visual separation. Basically, it makes you sound like a dip**** and increases radio 'chatter.'

I'm curious to read further in the thread and hear what the ATC people have to say about this.

(edit: cool, thanks for the ATC input. Guess I can continue to dislike that useless chatter)

I never use it and tend to cringe when the guy I'm flying with does. Although, interestingly enough, about three months ago we were given a traffic advisory by ATC and when I told him we were IMC he asked if I at least had the target on TCAS. Sort of strange.

And *most* of the TCAS operations and procedures anybody has in their FOM/POH etc come out of ALPA safety engineering.

Even better are the F15 pilots at my base that report the traffic on their air to air radar and want to follow it to the airport with it :banghead: so frustrating trying to get them to call visual since radar contact from the pilot means nothing.
The GP allows military pilots to provide their own separation from traffic while operating under due regard. Perhaps these pilots just need some explaining that while under contol they aren't due regard?

Aircraft shall be equipped with airborne radar that is
sufficient to provide separation between themselves, aircraft they​
may be controlling, and other aircraft; or

stuckingfk said:
Just wondering why you have you bring ALPA into the convo when there are many things published that a pilot should read before listening to the holy union.

I second that!

I followed RA guidance because my company told me to, no matter what!

Not hating at all. Just wondering why you have you bring ALPA into the convo

ALPA's involvement in TCAS development has been extensive. They are probably the best source available to pilots on TCAS information.

What's TCAS II? I have no idea what that is.

TCAS II is what's in the airplanes that you fly. TCAS I is a rudimentary version which doesn't offer RAs, only TAs. TCAS III was to be the next generation of TCAS which would have added horizontal RAs to the present vertical RAs. i.e. "Turn Right, Climb". TCAS III is no longer in development.

BTW, Google is your friend... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TCAS

Back to the topic of the thread...

Per the pilot/controller glossary, there are two responses to a traffic point out from ATC, "Traffic in sight" or "Negative contact". If you have more to say then include it along with the appropriate response. i.e. "Negative contact, request vectors to join the ILS." Don't tell ATC about TCAS unless it fails or you are responding to an RA. Doing so serves no purpose.

That's because we do an immense amount of air-air work with the radar and are very comfortable using it as a primary means of situational awareness on aircraft that are out of our visual range.

We also follow each other around through the weather ("ducks in a row") using only the radar as our means of separation.

So, while I understand your frustration, it's a very natural request from someone who is very comfortable with and used to using a radar for traffic separation.

I understand this and unofficially it makes me slightly better with say a vfr over flight or a random 1200 code but all the regs keep us from using it for sequencing or separation.

I dont write the book, i just have to follow it :nana2:

ALPA's involvement in TCAS development has been extensive. They are probably the best source available to pilots on TCAS information.

TCAS II is what's in the airplanes that you fly. TCAS I is a rudimentary version which doesn't offer RAs, only TAs. TCAS III was to be the next generation of TCAS which would have added horizontal RAs to the present vertical RAs. i.e. "Turn Right, Climb". TCAS III is no longer in development.

BTW, Google is your friend... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TCAS

Back to the topic of the thread...

Per the pilot/controller glossary, there are two responses to a traffic point out from ATC, "Traffic in sight" or "Negative contact". If you have more to say then include it along with the appropriate response. i.e. "Negative contact, request vectors to join the ILS." Don't tell ATC about TCAS unless it fails or you are responding to an RA. Doing so serves no purpose.

Read the entire thread before posting, specifically the post prior to the one I'm quoting...ie your post.

I know what TCAS II is. Good lord. Next time I'll use several :sarcasm: tags <edited>

I like knowing if the aircraft has virtual eyes on the target. Being VFR class D it's meaningless, but it does settle the traffic conflict a bit knowing the pilot has some idea of spatial relation to the traffic.

I don't mind so much and don't hate anybody for saying it.

If I get an RA, I'm following the RA guidance whether I think I see the traffic or not. I might be looking at the wrong traffic without realizing it, for all I know. The ALPA safety department makes a very big deal out of this. Never ignore RA guidance!

I hope you would not do this in a busy terminal environment. If you respond to an RA around Atlanta chances are you are going to create more collision hazards than you have resolved.

Chris

I hope you would not do this in a busy terminal environment. If you respond to an RA around Atlanta chances are you are going to create more collision hazards than you have resolved.

Chris

Yes, I absolutely will follow RA guidance no matter what. Our company's policy (and ALPA's recommendation also) is to even keep the RA mode on during PRM approaches. Unless we're already getting breakout guidance from the final monitor, then we're following the RA guidance.

TCAS I on crack cocaine! I really don't know.....more pretty colors and instead of a female voice a sean connery voice

<Sean Connery Accent>Traffic ####ing Alert</Sean Connery Accent>

or better yet when you get an RA all it says are:

<Sean Connery Accent>Engage the caterpillar drive</Sean Connery Accent>

Back