Interview at SouthernJets

Damn Seggy, sorry about that....

When you have the time, I can probably get you interviews at Allegiant, Midwest, Aloha, or Hawaiian, I know people over there......

I wonder if the people at the "real" SouthernJets read JC and wonder why on earth we've commandeered their name. :D

Thanks folks for all the replies and PMs.

My goal, as it has always been, is to get on with a Major/Legacy (that is unionized). For me, it really doesn't matter who it is, this whole career is a crap shoot.

My philosophy is, whoever gives me a chance to make it a career at their airline, I will remain loyal to them.

Sorry to hear about Southernjets, Seggy. How they could say you didn't fit their culture is mind boggling.

You were one of the first people I met from JC and you went out of your way to make this non-flying (except commercially) ground-dweller feel 100% comfortable. Best of luck to you in whatever you choose to do next and whoever snaps you up will be lucky to have you, not the other way around.

Seggy, I've never met you, but I know how well you are liked around here. :)With the positive attitude that I've observed in you, and the exuberant, enthusiastic love of flying that you constantly exhibit, I have no doubt that one day you'll be the captain of a crew at a legacy airline.

Interviews can be funny, and you can interview at the same company another time and they'll be looking for something entirely different than the first time around. I know that from experience!

Don't let it get ya down. I have a very strong feeling that you'll be realizing your dream one day soon. :)

I do think "SouthernJets Innanashunal" passed up on a good applicant, who years down the road, would have done more good for the company than the average employee.

That said, Seggy I do not think you will have a difficult time moving up the ladder from here.

Nice writeup there about the importance of networking and gradually getting prepared for this stuff years in advance.

Sorry to hear you didn't get the job, but congrats on at least getting the opportunity. I'm sure there are a lot of pilots at every regional who wish they could even get that far in the process right now.

Keep up the good work. The motivation you bring is palpable.

I would much rather have intreviewed and been told no thanks than not had the opportunity at all. Let's face it, just getting an interview there is more than the vast majority of on here can even pull off. Congrats on even getting that far. I know it's cliche, but you'll be better for the experience.

Sorry to hear the news man. They really missed out on having you. This thread shows the value of friends and the power of networking. You'll get there.

Sorry to hear about Southernjets, Seggy. How they could say you didn't fit their culture is mind boggling.

This is purely speculation but..

A really good friend of mine interviewed there while Regions was tanking.. He nailed the interview, did very well on everything... and then at the end of the day was told basically this same thing.. He spoke with another guy before he left the interview and was told "Go get some "real airplane time" and come back..."

He had been flying the JetStream rather than a shiny jet..

This is purely speculation but..

A really good friend of mine interviewed there while Regions was tanking.. He nailed the interview, did very well on everything... and then at the end of the day was told basically this same thing.. He spoke with another guy before he left the interview and was told "Go get some "real airplane time" and come back..."

He had been flying the JetStream rather than a shiny jet..

Who knows, but maybe ask DT about not having jet time pre southernjets!

;)

Seggy, good post and good thread. I am sorry that you didn't get the offer. As said on here, interviews can be quite fickle. Sometimes it is just one person that you don't click with which results in the negative outcome.

I don't know if this will help cheer you up, but my first interview was with TWA. I absolutely bombed the interview. Did poorly in the Captain board and really bad in the sim. I received the obvious rejection letter a few weeks later, but then USAir called. I spent the next few weeks preparing like mad. Bought 5 hours of sim time in a funky contraption that an old airline pilot had set up in Oakland, even an hour in a 707 sim across the Bay. Wrote down questions and answers for just about every conceivable HR question. The outcome of that interview was far better. The primary reason is that I learned from the first one and applied what I learned to the second one.

Interviewing is like anything else, it is something you will improve on with experience. It is also something you can improve on with practice. I would highly recommend the services of an interview coach. There are some really good aviation specific ones out there.

In this modern age of HR questions it is important to understand the psychology behind the questions and the answer they are looking for. Once you do it's like a revalation, the correct answer becomes crystal clear.

While the Delta interview didn't go well, use it as a stepping stone to improve for the next one. I'm sure there will be a next one and I'm sure you'll be successful.

Typhoonpilot

Sorry to hear that Mark. Other opportunities WILL come up. For now just be the strong man that you are and wait for the next chance.

Take care.

Dude. So sorry to hear that man! All I cn say is echo what everyone else has. Something better will come down the road. You deserve it bro.

Back