Initial CFI - Detailed Report

Ian_J

Hubschrauber Flieger
Hi all: Took my CFI Initial last week and did up a spread on exactly what happened for my school's records. This is long, but could be helpful for those studying for it:

• Documents required in the aircraft
    • Explain all inspections needed using the airplane logs
    • Know when radio operator’s license is needed
  • Ground Instructor
    • Recency requirements
    • AC 61.65E ground instructor endorsement
  • FOI
    • Definition of learning
    • Levels of learning (have an example ready and know instructors should be at the correlation level)
    • Defense Mechanisms
    • Domains of learning
    • Definition and levels of anxiety
    • Planning the instructional activity
    • Aviation Instructor responsibilities per FAR subpart I (he calls them “general responsibilities”)
    • Flight Instructor responsibilities per FAR subpart H (he calls them “specific responsibilities”)
    • Required solo endorsements – had me teach him a class on the white board
  • Weather
    • METAR and TAF decoding – know everything
    • Winds aloft report – know how to read winds over 100 kts
    • Wind Shear – spent a lot of time on this as a FAA focus item
i. What causes wind shear
ii. Cockpit indications of wind shear
iii. Wind shear avoidance
    • Explain SIGMET, Convective SIGMET and AIRMET
  • Aerodynamics
    • Explain parasite vs. Induced drag – include rearward component of lift
    • Teach induced drag on white board
    • Draw graph to explain LD Max and relation to parasite and induced drag
    • Teach class on white board explaining static an dynamic stability and how it relates to the airplane in flight
    • Explain what causes adverse yaw and how to counter act it
    • Discuss region of reverse command – he explains it simply – at critically slow flight you have to increase throttle to go slowly and maintain altitude, which is counterintuitive (we naturally thing more power = go faster and climb) – discuss it as if he were a new student unfamiliar with aerodynamics
  • Powerplant
    • Teach class on white board on how the four cycles of engine works
i. Diagram a cylinder, piston, valves, plugs, connecting rods, etc
ii. Know how valves open and close – be able to diagram it
    • Define pre-ignition and detonation
i. Know indications and remedies for each
    • Magnetos
i. Will they work when electrical system shut down?
ii. What happens when the mags are switched off? Can they still fire? Why is it important to be careful when handling the prop on the ground, even when the mags are off and key is out?
    • Carburetors
i. Diagram on white board
ii. Describe two reasons there is a temp drop in the carburetor:
1. Air drawn in by low pressure of venture
2. Fuel atomization/ vaporization
iii. Relate to carb icing, indications, discuss remedies, and how carb heat works
iv.
  • Navigation
    • Give a class on the white board on cross-country navigation
i. He’ll have you plot a course from ROC to some other airport
ii. He’ll give you winds
iii. Teach how you get TC, TH, MH and CH
iv. Don’t forget about the compass deviation card
  • Airspace
    • From ROC to a class E airport – discuss weather minimums out of class C into class G and into Class E – if class E starts at 700 that means G is at 699 and below
    • Las Vegas sectional and Detroit sectional
i. Class E airspace at Vegas – fading blue borders and differing floors of class E airspace
ii. Mode C veil describe
iii. X-ponder requirements in mode C veil – when don’t you need a transponder?
    • Know you need to be cleared in class B, that the controller must use N number for you to get in Class C even if they say “standby”
    • Difference in airport symbology (rwys greater than 8069 feet vs. less)
    • Small details about airport info on the sectional (Class E effective times, Right Pattern runways, airports of entry, etc.)
  • ADM
    • Teach DECIDE model
    • 4 risk elements
    • Definition and purpose of ADM
  • Aeromedical factors
    • Definition of hypoxia
    • 4 types of hypoxia
    • Which one is carbon monoxide poisoning?
  • Maneuvers
    • He picked random maneuvers for me to teach without prior notice
    • I did:
i. Steep Spirals
ii. Lazy 8s
iii. Soft Field Take-off
iv. 180 power-off accuracy approach
    • I did these just like I did with John (purpose, overview, elements, and completion standards) and he didn’t have a problem with any of them. Total time for oral: 3:15
  • Pre-flight
    • I did pre-flight without him… he didn’t ask any questions
    • Prior to flight, he gave me the plan… he seems to switch up airports for each ride… told me to plan on LeRoy and then maybe Dansville
    • Stressed use of checklists for everything. Especially for non-critical emergencies in flight. Said that unless there is an immediate action step in an emergency, you first action should be to read the checklist.
  • Flight
    • Had me fly to Leroy first for some take offs and landings. Said he likes to get those out of the way first because that’s what most people fail. No surprises on the short/soft field take offs or landings.
    • Doesn’t do touch and goes. Clear hold short line, clean up aircraft using checklist.
    • Traffic Pattern entry – enter in the most logical way. If approaching from non-traffic pattern side over fly at 500 over the TP altitude and teardrop into a 45 for the downwind.
    • Did a 180 accuracy into LeRoy that didn’t work out. I stated what I did wrong and executed a go around. He was fine with that.
    • Next flew towards Danville. Enroute did Chandelles, Lazy 8s, Steep Turns, 8s on pylons, and s-turns. Instructed him at all times. No surprises. He does Chandelles and Lazy 8s just like John, if not slower. Bottom line… if you do all the maneuvers and instructed them to John’s standards, you will meet Bianco’s standards.
    • Did a simulated engine out over a grass field near Batavia. Described procedure in detail. No issues. He is very interested to see if you would make the field without overshooting. He stresses estimating the angle from your line of sight to the field. 45 degrees might be too high where 30 degrees might be okay. Practice power offs to about 100 ft AGL over grass strips, being able to land in first 1/3rd.
    • Did another soft field into Danville… pretty sure the only reason we went there was because he instructs out of there. He did the take off and I instructed him on T/O, climb… basically the four fundamentals. He made erratic control inputs and over did anything I told him.
    • Headed back to Rochester. On the way did slow flight, power-on stalls, and elevator trim stalls. Then he simulated a partial power condition and I went straight to the checklist. He liked that. Then he failed the engine over a grass strip and we took it down to 100 ft.
    • Normal landing back at ROC… did a thorough debrief and he gave me my ticket. Total Flight Time: 2.5 hours + .5 debrief.

That was lenghty ... but that's not important when the content is very well laid out and highly valuable.

Thanks for sharing!

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I'm trying to get ready for my initial CFI. Maybe take the checkride late this month if I can get scheduled soon. Your post was exactly what I needed to see.

Oh yeah, Congratulations too!!

That's a hell of a checkride. I bet you slept like a baby that night.

Congratulations.

SUS_RVS said:
Thank you, thank you, thank you. I'm trying to get ready for my initial CFI. Maybe take the checkride late this month if I can get scheduled soon. Your post was exactly what I needed to see.

Oh yeah, Congratulations too!!

Thanks... and glad it helps. Let us know how it goes. Good luck!

mastermags said:
That's a hell of a checkride. I bet you slept like a baby that night.

Congratulations.

Thanks! I think I got drunk that night, then slept like a baby. :D

But seriously, I think I was just getting paid back that checkride because all of my civilian ratings up to CFI have been really easy. Guess I was due for a "marathon."

Back