I want to start my new career as a commercial pilot

Harry 777

I am 42 years old and an Asian.

If I graduate ATP in 6 months, can I get a job in the U.S. or other countries ?

Usually, how long does it take for having full time job in airline company ?

I want to hear any kinds of advice.

Please give me some..

I am 42 years old and an Asian.

42 isn't too late to start, but you won't make it to the top spots at a U.S. legacy.

If I graduate ATP in 6 months, can I get a job in the U.S. or other countries ?

Do you have a right to work in the US, (citizen, visa, etc) or any other country? For a job in the US, you also need 1500 hours. How many hours will you have when you graduate?

Usually, how long does it take for having full time job in airline company ?

Usually day one.

Cptnchia said:
42 isn't too late to start, But you won't make it to the top spots at a U.S. legacy. Do you have a right to work in the US, (citizen, visa, etc) or any other country? For a job in the US, you also need 1500 hours. How many hours will you have when you graduate? Usually day one.
What do you classify a top spot? And trust me 42 isn't too late to start. 8)

To the OP. Good luck and keep us posted.

I'm sure he's talking left seat widebody at a legacy. And in that case, he's probably right. I can't think of an airline where a 42 year old just starting would make it there before hitting mandatory retirement, even with the massive retirements coming. Even late 30s is pushing it.

What do you classify a top spot? And trust me 42 isn't too late to start. 8)

To the OP. Good luck and keep us posted.

I'm sure he's talking left seat widebody at a legacy. And in that case, he's probably right. I can't think of an airline where a 42 year old just starting would make it there before hitting mandatory retirement, even with the massive retirements coming. Even late 30s is pushing it.

ATN is correct. Left seat WB at a legacy. That is the "top Spot." While I'm sure there are several here who will claim that is not their intended goal, that is the pinnacle of airline flying. And I already stated 42 isn't too late to start. You just won't reach the pinnacle, no matter how much you endevour.

In fairness, while that may be the "top spot" theoretically, it isn't everyone's goal. Had I been hired at Delta instead of AirTran, I would have gladly stopped bidding up as soon as I hit 757 domestic. Even four hour flights are too long for my taste. I never would have bid anything international, and even would have bid around Canada, Mexico, and the Caribbean.

We're not talking about what your, my, or anybody else's "top spot" is, we're talking about what the tops spot of the industry is.

Hey there is no age limit for pursuing any degree. To be a commercial pilot there are two basic things to be needed. First is sufficient experience and capability to fly in any pressurize condition.

Hey there is no age limit for pursuing any degree. To be a commercial pilot there are two basic things to be needed. First is sufficient experience and capability to fly in any pressurize condition.
Please explain "any pressurize condition", there are lots of commercial pilots on this site that fly unpressurized and I'm sure they would appreciate an explanation.

Please explain "any pressurize condition", there are lots of commercial pilots on this site that fly unpressurized and I'm sure they would appreciate an explanation.
I think he means being able to handle a stressful situation, not the difference between ambient and cabin pressure.

Starting your first “real” job can be nerve-racking. You’re probably excited to have your degree which you want. And it's never too late to start anything.:)

Back