How'd you go about learning/memorizing the endorsements?

Rosstafari

Likes tacos
Does it just come down to hammering rote memorization until it sticks? I've spent plenty of time memorizing FAA minutiae in the past, but there just doesn't seem to be a lot of rhyme and reason to the way these flow.

The group I'm working on our MEI with has made a flowchart that seems pretty reasonable, just wondering if any of you had success with any particular strategy on memorizing these to checkride standards. Please and thanks?

I didn’t. There’s a reason there’s an Advisory Circular.
There is, and I use it a lot for study, but we've been hearing DPEs are not particularly fond of relying on it too heavily during the checkride. So I need to commit some degree (edit: some amount) to memory.

Last edited:
I wouldn't try for the exact verbiage. But you should know which endorsements are required for each cert.

If they give you greed for the exact verbiage, just say you use the AC as to not mess it up and have to write the darn thing more than once.

Also as a pro tip, if you are working for a larger flight school and have a few students just type out the most used ones with blank spaces and then print them on name tag stock that you can buy. Then just fill in the blank. Saves tons of time

There is, and I use it a lot for study, but we've been hearing DPEs are not particularly fond of relying on it too heavily during the checkride. So I need to commit some degree to memory.
I would be surprised to hear of a DOE who required an applicant to memorize the text of endorsements. That certain ones were needed for certain things, but not the text of the endorsements themselves.

There is no requirement for exact wording of an endorsement. Obviously you need to know what requires an endorsement, and what the endorsement is required to say, but provided it says what's required, it isn't invalid if it doesn't follow the AC verbatim. Therefore, no examiner can require you to memorize the endorsement, word for word.

Looking back at your OP, yes, you should absolutely have an idea of which endorsements you need for the common stuff: knowledge test, pre-solo, cross country, check ride. But as far as the wording, look it up.

If there's any DPE's out there that require you to MEMORIZE endorsements word for word, I would stop the checkride right then and there-discontinued. That is nonsense.

No reasonable examiner can expect an applicant to memorize crap like endorsements. I mean, why? How will that make somebody a better instructor? Because a few weeks, heck even just a few days after the checkride, guess what, you'll forget the wording. We all forgot a lot of this stuff. Inexperienced and experienced instructors alike. I've seen it many times. CFI's always have to look stuff up here and then.

There's so many myths about the CFI checkride that float around out there, and they all seem to originate from applicants that failed because they just didn't study hard enough. I bought into a lot of the fear mongering that goes on especially on the internet, and it drove me crazy. Couldn't sleep at night sometimes because of that. Just study AC61-65H pretty thoroughly and you'll be fine. Have a good working knowledge of what endorsements a student will need, don't memorize them though.

Last edited:
If there's any DPE's out there that require you to MEMORIZE endorsements word for word, I would stop the checkride right then and there-discontinued. That is nonsense.

No reasonable examiner can expect an applicant to memorize crap like endorsements. I mean, why? How will that make somebody a better instructor? Because a few weeks, heck even just a few days after the checkride, guess what, you'll forget the wording. We all forgot a lot of this stuff. Inexperienced and experienced instructors alike. I've seen it many times. CFI's always have to look stuff up here and then.

There's so many myths about the CFI checkride that float around out there, and they all seem to originate from applicants that failed because they just didn't study hard enough. I bought into a lot of the fear mongering that goes on especially on the internet, and it drove me crazy. Couldn't sleep at night sometimes because of that. Just study AC-65H pretty thoroughly and you'll be fine. Have a good working knowledge of what endorsements a student will need, don't memorize them though.

Quoted for effin' truth.

If DPEs/FAA wanted you to memorize the stuff, they wouldn't print the damned AC. 61-65H. I use it at least once a week.

Back