How to Annoy your First Officer

Me: After start checklist
FO: I'm still starting the number one engine
Me: Oh, good catch
FO: (Thinking to himself) What planet is he from?
Me: Let me know when you're caught up
FO: (Thinking to himself) This will be a fun four day
Me: Taxi checklist
FO: We don't have a taxi checklist
Me: Seriously?
FO: Are you ready for the after start checklist
Me: I thought we did that one?
FO: Dear God, help me.......

I like to have a little fun now and then.....:biggrin:

Hmm... I just talked to a United 737 FO who said he just finished up a 4 day trip from hell. I wonder if he was flying with you?

LOL

Haven't read this whole thread but just finishing a trip with a guy who is very worried about me when the "end times" come, he says we are spiritual brothers, he is vocal about his disdain for folks from the Middle East and folks of a certain sexual preference. He calls the FAs "beautiful". I'm ready for the trip to be over.

Haven't read this whole thread but just finishing a trip with a guy who is very worried about me when the "end times" come, he says we are spiritual brothers, he is vocal about his disdain for folks from the Middle East and folks of a certain sexual preference. He calls the FAs "beautiful". I'm ready for the trip to be over.
I can't wait for a trip like that. The other guy will think I'm satan walking the earth before were done.

I would pay you good money to give him a dismissive handwave and answer in Yiddish every time he says something stupid...

No! Wait!

Every time he does anything, answer, "That was faaaaaaabulous, sir!"

Zap,
I just got done with a 3-day with his "spiritual twin". I had an eerily similar trip.
That, and his advice for configuring/descending/slowing netted me two unstable approaches before I finally just started ignoring his "tips". Little too early for flaps, roger, mind if we just humor me and throw them out anyway and then after we land you can tell me how I screwed it up?

I finally had to ask him to keep discussion to topics that can be found in the front page of the USA Today.

It's real fun when you belong to the religion that your captain happens to be bashing. I'd seen it on TV but never had to deal with it in real life. Having it come from someone I needed to get a letter to upgrade from well that was pretty demoralizing.

Probably a 'quick upgrade' who probably hasn't had many people in the left seat tell him to STFU and eat his proverbial cheese coney.

Not that it's always the case, but more than once I've seen a lot of issues with pilots that did stuff like the ATP one year zero to hero program, a few months of instructing, and then off to the airlines. They typically seem nervous and insecure, and as a result tend to micromanage.

There really is something to be said about getting a little "seasoning" in your career before heading off to the airlines. I know those guys can have issues too, but it's just not as common in my experience.

It's fascinating to me that a guy who doesn't know you from Adam feels comfortable after sitting in a tiny room together for an hour telling you stuff like that!

What if I were Muslim, or gay, or a democrat?

It's fascinating to me that a guy who doesn't know you from Adam feels comfortable after sitting in a tiny room together for an hour telling you stuff like that!

What if I were Muslim, or gay, or a democrat?

Tell him you're all three and watch his head explode.

I'm fortunate to have rarely found myself in situations where anything more serious than union politics were discussed. Hell, I don't even know, or care, about the religious leanings or political views of some of my best friends. It just doesn't matter in my world.

Eh. I imagine the effect would be the same as it would if you changed Fox News to Al Jazeera America in the crew room and then walk away...

I agree with your philosophy. I would never bring up such a thing. When this guy started sharing his worldview on homosexuality I shrugged and said, it doesn't effect my life, my family, or my community one bit. I can't think of anything I care less about.

So what's the over/under on me making it through probation?

I carry a little plastic Jesus bobble head in my bag just for those guys. "I don't care if it rains or freezes, long as I've got my plastic Jesus!"

Last time I put it up on the instrument panel the captain said, "That's blasphemous!"

Back