Hello all, Im new and introducing myself

I'm a Navy guy. We will get along really great, Liam. (Not that way, my wife gets to keep me) I've heard of you thru @ChasenSFO. Have you been overseas yet during your USAF tenure? Best life there is.

Welcome! Don't let the trolls make you stop posting, and stay away from me. I'm a total ass. We like to imagine this as @Derg's living room so don't pee on the carpet.

It looks like you have big plans and are doing things right for your age. Congratulations on that! If there's anything any of us can do to help, questions to answer, whatever, don't hesitate to ask. There's a great group of everyone from airplane enthusiasts, airport Ops, regional, corporate, military, and then people like the Major Domo, a captain for a major airline.

Welcome!
Nice! Thanks, I'm very excited to know there's a forum specifically for aviation!

What a coincidence. My father flew the KC-135. Over FIFTY YEARS AGO! From around 1960 until he retired in 1974, with one year out of the 135 flying the O-2 out of Da Nang.

Welcome.
It wasn't easy working on that airplane, especially when the pilot did a "hard landing" haha. you have to move and twist your body and fingers into positions they weren't meant for to fix the thing and do general maintenance, but I had a good time and lived comfortably. Politics and leadership was the hard part haha

The Stratotanker! How cool is that! First off, thank you for your service and welcome to the forum. There are some current and former AF guys here to keep you company and offer their advice and support. Lots of Military members from the rest of the branches as well. Sounds like you have a good plan/goals and you're committed and working on them. Wish you the best of luck. - Gerry
That sounds awesome! It is really difficult to meet these kinds of people (at least the ones who are excited to help someone become a pilot in the military) in the real world

I like a guy with a plan. There will be forks in the road but perseverance will you get there. Btw, I have been on the receiving end of KC-97s, 135s and 10s. Welcome aboard.
Nice! what kind of aircraft did you fly? I was sleeping like a rock during the only refuel I was part of when I was aboard the time we had to tow F-15's back from Nellis in Las Vegas and I was ground crew

Welcome! I'm a prior crew chief myself, on the B-1...
Sounds like you have a great plan! Keep us updated on how it all goes.
I got to see those in the "Deid". I remember them being very loud and running the engines forever until it was time to take-off. I also remember how our commander our there said most of the B-1's there were "yellow or red" meaning not mission capable, but told us that we were all "FMC" all the time. I have trouble believing that as our jets broke all the time too haha and there were idiots we had to work with who screwed up all the time...mainly during refuels.

Can you get an ROTC scholarship to save your GI Bill? ROTC tends to have a lot more pilot slots than OTS as well.
I'm trying the best I can to get in touch with them. Their commandant has been on vacation since 15th December, so it's been quite difficult to get answers, so I had to register without them for now. I emailed them asking if I could get into a "2 year" ROTC program, but of all schools apparently Embry-Riddle Daytona campus doesn't offer 2 year programs. I could not believe it. I mean, my old flight instructor even said ECU or "East Carolina University" in Greenville, NC can grant you a 2 year ROTC slot. I am confused and asking around for answers here. ROTC is my best bet for a pilot slot, as OTS is Third in line for officer positions after the Air Force Academy and ROTC.

I'm a Navy guy. We will get along really great, Liam. (Not that way, my wife gets to keep me) I've heard of you thru @ChasenSFO. Have you been overseas yet during your USAF tenure? Best life there is.
Yes, I deployed to Al Udeid air base in Qatar in 2010. I didn't go out much as we worked 13-16 hour days with little sleep and lived off Rip-Its. The "Deid" is a vacation apparently to some army and marine personnel, but it was all work for me. I practically lived at the flightline. Some things I learned were that we don't have many follow up inspections while deployed and we didn't spend 8 hours on a preflight, and you don't get written up for doing stupid things while deployed, you either do pushups or wear a cone and vest and skip around the flightline singing "we're off to see the wizard" depending on severity. I was woke up late one day, missed the bus from the barracks to the flightline, and had to wear a wall clock on me all day (only take it off when doing essential tasks like an engine run) and I had to yell "YEA BOYEEEE, FLAVOR FLAAAAAAVE!" to everyone I saw including colonels. I either had to do that or got paperwork written up on me.

Back at home duty station, if you screwed up and weren't part of the "good ole boys" club of drinkers and hunters who owned a truck and were chainsmokers, you got written up so fast and had to go to the first sgt for screwing up. Unfortunately it was all about who liked you and who didn't like you while I was in. I had a blast though and it's why I want to go back in, this time as a fighter pilot (or any pilot slot they have), but mainly fighter pilot.

Hey, Flava Flave, in the future, when you reply to more than one person in the same thread, hit the "+ Quote" button and keep going. That way when you finish and you're ready to reply to errrrbody, it's all in one long post rather than spamming the crap out of the thread. But since you're posting, I'm guessing the move went well and you're reconnected to the interwebs. I'd recommend spending a lot of time reading old threads in the military part of the forum. Tons of great info there, plus the forum has been around a long time, so chances are most questions you'll come up with have already been covered in detail. If you think the info is very outdated or you still don't feel like you found the info you need, go ahead and start a new thread at that point so you get a new discussion going and the next guy with your question can have it answered as well.

Or just go to the lav and troll all the gun threads to effectively piss on Derg's virtual carpet. It's your life.

s-KERMIT-large640.jpg

I was woke up late one day, missed the bus from the barracks to the flightline, and had to wear a wall clock on me all day (only take it off when doing essential tasks like an engine run) and I had to yell "YEA BOYEEEE, FLAVOR FLAAAAAAVE!" to everyone I saw including colonels. I either had to do that or got paperwork written up on me.

That is a great idea! @Derg I think we have a winner for those lazy FOs who don't show up on time for pick up!

Back