Captain Positions Offered to New Hires

Ian_J

Hubschrauber Flieger
A certain legacy airline just started offering CA positions to bid for during indoc. They are must fill positions, so in theory, the bottom folks in the class could be “forced” (forced isn’t really correct since they knew this was a possibility before they got to class) into them. As it turns out, the top people in the class chose those positions.

New hires who get CA positions have to fly as an FO for a while and pass a bunch of other wickets before they sit left seat on their own.

The reason CA positions aren’t desirable to more senior pilots is because NB CAs are worked hard. WB FOs make great pay and have better schedules and more days off.

With all that background, what do you all think about the practice of offering new hires a captain position?

My thoughts- The biggest arguments against this practice are that QOL should be good enough so that senior pilots want to be captains, new hires are “forced” into it, and safety. The “forced” aspect was covered above. The union/ company should have done a better job making QOL better for NB CAs. Agreed. Well, they didn’t, so the pilots got new hire upgrades instead. It’s in the contract, a done deal, and pilots can lament it all they want but it isn’t changing for at least 4 years. This company’s new hires are often very experienced former captains and all were hired in a competitive process regardless of their backgrounds. One can argue they aren’t familiar with company operations but they’ll be flying as FOs for a while before they call the shots. And I forgot to mention, they’ll get 100 hours of OE. I honestly think the safety aspect is mitigated. I’m fine with it, but the vocal folks elsewhere are very vocal in the other direction. Haven’t seen it discussed here so I was interested in what this group thinks.

Wow.

I remember 4.5 yrs as a RJ FO with no chance of upgrading into a RJ. How times change.

In any case, I think it's gonna get interesting.

ASAP reports from 2017-2019 are entirely different animals than the ASAP reports these days. Now it's stupid crap (green on green) that's downright egregious.

A certain legacy airline just started offering CA positions to bid for during indoc. They are must fill positions, so in theory, the bottom folks in the class could be “forced” (forced isn’t really correct since they knew this was a possibility before they got to class) into them. As it turns out, the top people in the class chose those positions.

New hires who get CA positions have to fly as an FO for a while and pass a bunch of other wickets before they sit left seat on their own.

The reason CA positions aren’t desirable to more senior pilots is because NB CAs are worked hard. WB FOs make great pay and have better schedules and more days off.

With all that background, what do you all think about the practice of offering new hires a captain position?

My thoughts- The biggest arguments against this practice are that QOL should be good enough so that senior pilots want to be captains, new hires are “forced” into it, and safety. The “forced” aspect was covered above. The union/ company should have done a better job making QOL better for NB CAs. Agreed. Well, they didn’t, so the pilots got new hire upgrades instead. It’s in the contract, a done deal, and pilots can lament it all they want but it isn’t changing for at least 4 years. This company’s new hires are often very experienced former captains and all were hired in a competitive process regardless of their backgrounds. One can argue they aren’t familiar with company operations but they’ll be flying as FOs for a while before they call the shots. And I forgot to mention, they’ll get 100 hours of OE. I honestly think the safety aspect is mitigated. I’m fine with it, but the vocal folks elsewhere are very vocal in the other direction. Haven’t seen it discussed here so I was interested in what this group thinks.
At minimum, theyre going to have some really weak stories to tell one day.

So I worked for compass for 3 years. Of that I spent about 2.5 months as an fo. The rest of the time as a captain. Sure I got that magic 1000 hours TPIC but holy hell, I was bidding 90% for ever. My last month there I got a line. Every time I started to get some seniority mor people would sneak in on top of me.

I say this only so I can say this with some authority… f all that.

So I worked for compass for 3 years. Of that I spent about 2.5 months as an fo. The rest of the time as a captain. Sure I got that magic 1000 hours TPIC but holy hell, I was bidding 90% for ever. My last month there I got a line. Every time I started to get some seniority mor people would sneak in on top of me.

I say this only so I can say this with some authority… f all that.

*screams in 8 year regional FO*

Kids these days have NO idea.

Seriously.

"I was FO for 2.5 month and then upgraded. Basically a street CA. But I was reserve permanently and working weekends. And in my 2.75 yrs as CA, got over 1000 TPIC. F all that."

Sorry @poser765 , but.............

Batman-Slapping-Robin-Meme-Explained.jpg

Just saw an ad for Charter Capt at Skywest. It's for street Capt CRJ's in the 135 EAS operation. I'd seriously consider it if I knew what the schedule was like. They don't mention it. Have a feeling it's more than I'd care for.

Just saw an ad for Charter Capt at Skywest. It's for street Capt CRJ's in the 135 EAS operation. I'd seriously consider it if I knew what the schedule was like. They don't mention it. Have a feeling it's more than I'd care for.

Had a jumpseater last year that was close to retirement and not ready to hang it up yet. Said the Skywest 135 thing was not gonna be a full schedule, it would be part time. Maybe 30-40 hours a month. The EAS network they have wouldn't support the old school 7 legs a day type EAS flying either. He mentioned they were purposely targeting retired major airline pilots and knew they wouldn't put up with that kind of stuff. Dunno if any of that is actually true but he made it sound like a decent retirement gig, if you wanted that sorta thing.

This company’s new hires are often very experienced former captains and all were hired in a competitive process regardless of their backgrounds.
Are they though? I think fewer and fewer have much PIC time as new hires at any company now days.

One can argue they aren’t familiar with company operations but they’ll be flying as FOs for a while before they call the shots.
Personally I took the first upgrade I could in my career. Just so happens that was on another fleet and operation after a two year leave of absence.

I hit the books, tried my best, and took it seriously. Obviously made it through. Most will make also, but that’s up to their attitudes and training department.

Take the bonus, im sure they offer one, and if its terrible, leave! Nothing to lose.

Idk much about the new UAL contract but it sounds like QOL is still lacking if senior FO’s are bypassing upgrade. At some point dollar signs just don’t cut it. I had someone look at me funny at brown when I was asked about taking the first upgrade. He was shocked I’d leave that much money on the table. Personally Crashpad are played out and 3 leg nights that probably won’t be on time if you’re going through worldport. I’ll keep my day flying and my health as long as I can.

Don’t forget to mention, these new hire captains will likely have more time in type than our previous contract allowed for.

I would have preferred they fix QOL issues instead, but here we are.

Seriously.

"I was FO for 2.5 month and then upgraded. Basically a street CA. But I was reserve permanently and working weekends. And in my 2.75 yrs as CA, got over 1000 TPIC. F all that."

Sorry @poser765 , but.............

Batman-Slapping-Robin-Meme-Explained.jpg
Yeah and I was super grateful that it worked out that way… but at the time I WANTED to be a captain. Now I don’t. I’m not willing to change seats so I can perpetually bid 95%.

I mean you see how these are two different things right?

I feel you? But keep in mind that there is a good chance that for 8 of those years you were stuck in the right seat at a regional I spent four of those years stuck in the seat of a dominos delivery car and the right seat of a 172 concurrently… and four years in the right seat at a regional.

Lol I don’t understand this. I’m getting push back because I’d hate to be forced to be a super junior captain in perpetuity and likely have to commute?

Kids these days indeed.

I think most people would choose junior left seat over stagnant right seat which is why some people might give you push back.

We don’t currently have stagnant right seat though and guys that stay FOs will climb the category seniority much faster. Which is a lot different.

-7 year RJ FO

Back